Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Wednesday Hodgepodge

I'm joining up with Wednesday Hodgepodge!

1. Do you celebrate Easter? If so what are your plans this year? Did you have egg hunts as a kid? Yes! We celebrate Easter and we also walk through the days of Holy Week and we’ve been in the season of Lent since Ash Wednesday. I grew up in a denomination that celebrated only Easter (which is THE most important!) but Easter is so much more of a celebration after I have walked through 40 days of Lent including Holy Week. We have a Good Friday service that ends with the slamming of a giant Bible and the only light in the total darkness of our sanctuary is the Christ Candle. As the candle is removed from the sanctuary, a person strikes the timpani 33 times. It is gut wrenching, but we know that the light wins. On Easter morning, our pastor walks down the aisle bringing the Christ Candle back in and as he walks, the lights come up across the sanctuary and we celebrate the resurrection in song. We celebrate that He is Risen – He is Risen Indeed. We feel like we need to go through the darkness in order to fully appreciate the light. Ok – that was way too much info but it is so special.

We did hunt/hide Easter eggs when I was a kid. I am 8 years younger than my middle sister and 13 years younger that my oldest sister. I remember hunting eggs in our backyard. I remember hiding them for my niece and nephew. We hide them in the house for the grandkids just for play in the month prior to Easter. One time when I was a kid, I went with the neighbors to a huge Easter Egg Hunt at Avondale Park.

This is from Wiki -- this is an actual
photo from an Easter Egg hunt at
Avondale Park

Mark and I will attend Easter worship on Saturday night because I will be working in the Welcome Center at our church on Sunday morning while we have six services plus 2 sunrise services. We will then go to my mother-in-law’s house for a big family lunch.

2. What's your favorite bread to find in a bread basket? I found out that I love Irish Brown Bread with Irish Butter – I’m glad I don’t have it here!


I also love cornbread and hushpuppies!



3. Your favorite chick flick? I love My Big Fat Greek Wedding but I haven’t watched it in quite a few years. I have to watch Pretty Woman in the next week or so for my Sociology class – I think I remember liking it.

4.Tax day is rapidly approaching in the US of A...what's something you currently find 'taxing'? I’m just thankful that I’m married to someone who knows how to do our taxes! There are some political ads in our state that I am finding extremely “taxing.”

5. Have you ever ridden in a taxi? Do you have a funny-scary-crazy-interesting taxi story to share? Do you use any of the newer taxi-like services such as Uber? I have ridden in a taxi but it has been a long time ago and I’ve never used Uber or anything like it. My mom didn’t drive so we sometimes rode the city bus when I was a little kid and I remember taking a taxi or two with her. This isn’t a “taxi” story but it sort of fits. We were in Israel in February of 2020. We had signed up to eat dinner with a Christian family living in Palestine. Our tour bus took us (along with a few other people) to a dark parking lot. We got off the bus and were told to get into a car . . .which we did . . .and it was a little nerve racking! We made it safely to the home and had a wonderful conversation with his family but for just a few moments . . .we were holding hands in the back seat!

6. Insert your own random thought here. I’m participating in the April A to Z Blogging Challenge. I’m trying to write on the A to Z’s of Being 63 but my topics are a tad wonky. I guess the point is just to write every day so I’m going to keep on keeping on! I didn’t want it to be about all of the ailments that a 63 year old might have hahaha! I blogged about K today. Any ideas from L-Z?

7 comments:

  1. I would have been holding hands too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary at the time but makes a funny story now :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow. The symbolism your church exhibits gave me goosebumps! As a child I remember behind scared when, at the conclusion of the Maundy Thursday services, the lights were turned off.
    Sure agree with you about (some) of our political advertisements being taxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a powerful service. I grew up in a denomination that didn't do anything in the week before Easter so I love it!

      Delete
  3. Light to dark and dark to light...gets me every time! How powerful hearing the tympani 33 times must be. I'd be bawling like a baby!!!
    About the Irish butter...we can get Kerrygold butter in our grocery stores; I bet you can get it, too! I ordered some Irish wholemeal flour and made brown soda bread a couple of days ago. Not exactly like what they have in Ireland but pretty close! And with the Irish butter, it really takes us back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself crying every year! Yes - I've bought Kerrygold butter here, too, but it isn't quite the same. Please share your recipe for the bread and from where did you order the flour?

      Delete
  4. Loved your answers....I love hush puppies and cornbread too...as long as the cornbread isn't dry.

    ReplyDelete