Tuesday, April 19, 2022

P is for Patience/Pray a Lot/Pack Lightly


 

P is for Patience/Pray a Lot/Pack Lightly

Is today Day 16? Today is “P” day . . .and P for this 63 year old (I could make some jokes here!!) is for patience, pray a lot, and pack lightly.

P is for patience

My story about patience originated back in 1986. As a result of whatever we were studying in Sunday School at the time (maybe the fruit of the spirit?), I prayed for patience. (this is a true story) I’ve always been impatient and I married someone with even less patience. I prayed for patience and the very next month, I found out I was pregnant. Then the month after that, I found out that I was pregnant with not just one baby but I was pregnant with twins. This is where being 63 comes in. I’m still not patient. I’m still working on it BUT I am more patient now than I was back in 1986.

Are you a patient person? Or an impatient one?

P is also for Pray a Lot

I grew up going to church so I’ve always known about prayer. When our kids were young, I prayed for them every day – multiple times a day. I remember using a book by Stormie Omartian. The book was The Power of a Praying Parent and she taught us how to pray scriptures for our kids every day.

I feel like I pray a lot of breath prayers throughout each day at 63. Just today, our friend’s 1 year old grandson has been through 6 hours of major surgery. I just got the text that he is in recovery. That child has been on my heart and in my prayers all day . . .along with his parents and his grandparents and the doctors, etc.

P is also for Pack Lightly

I think when I originally meant this as “packing a suitcase lightly” and I still can’t do it at 63 . . .but I think there is so much more meaning when we think about pack lightly. We have accumulated so many “things” over the years and we are continually on the look out for more things. I hope that I enjoy my possessions and those things don’t possess me. I hope I possess and am not possessed. šŸ˜ŠWhen we moved into this house almost 8 years ago, we gave away tons of stuff but I think we still probably have too much stuff. We love to entertain so I have lots of serving pieces and lots of dishes. I’ve been continually trying to give away stuff as I see that I don’t need it.

What about you? Do you pack lightly? When you travel? In day to day life?




13 comments:

  1. I too was thinking of writing about Patience. But then, I wrote about something else. Patience is a great virtue, worth cultivating. It can solve a lot of problems.
    I too believe in packing lightly, and I do so as well.
    P = Pogono-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting! I'll check out your post today!

      Delete
  2. I wanna get rid of so much clutter and pack lightly too...i like how u attempted P....specially patience and prayer part..both are linked may be...isn't it...tobe patient for prayer to be answered.....also p for pack light we all need it


    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is hard to be patient while waiting on prayers to be answered. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. I light candles and pray for my family every morning. I used to be very patient. I think I still am. Unless I miss a meal. We went on two trips recently to visit daughters for the first time since the pandemic. Packed way too much and not even the right stuff. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to light a candle when I was praying - I need to start doing that again! I really hate when I overpack and don't have the right things! A few years ago, I forgot to pack my underwear when we were headed to our daughter's house . . .so we stopped at costco so I could buy some.

      Delete
  4. I like your three Ps. Not sure I'm not impatient except with myself. Prayer is my first go to and I'm honored to pray with and for others around the globe, as missionaries we have learned to pack light so we don't have a lot to carry in country but we rarely travel light because everyone needs us to bring stuff...
    Hope you are having a great month and meeting awesome people.
    Portal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, I love those baby pictures! Is there anything cuter than sleeping babies? You know, when I first read this earlier, I was patting myself on the back for having patience. Then, we sat 3 hours at the VA waiting to be seen ... would you believe, I think they forgot about.us?! Scratch patience! Lifting prayers for your friends' little grandson. Major surgery at any age is terrifying; I can't imagine a one year old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prayed for more patience too when I was younger as I had no patience. I sure learned it the hard way for me. Not being pregnant like you with twins, but catching every red light when in a hurry to get somewhere or being behind the slowest line in the grocery store. I did develop patience :) Always good to pray for our children. Hoping your friend's grandson makes a good recovery from surgery. I do pack light and live lightly. I don't have my possessions and like it that way :)

    betty
    https://benchsnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our friend's grandson is healing. I think it has been far more traumatic on parents and grandparents than on the little fellow himself. He won't remember it but they will.

      Delete
  7. Patience may be a virtue but not one of mine. Actually when I’m working at something intently, yes, but not so much otherwise. Luckily my husband is better at it though I do test him at times ;)

    Pack lightly…I try when I’m travelling but would get “can do better” on my report card. I’m working on reducing our stuff and certainly better at not buying more….except books, but they’re on kindle mostly so avoiding more bookcases :)

    Visiting from https://cassmobfamilyhistory.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is already telling me that I need to pack lightly for our trip to Italy/Germany this summer. I don't want to need something and not have it! When we were in Ireland in October, we couldn't purchase several products that we buy over the counter all of the time. I also could not find a heating pad ANYWHERE.

      Delete