Saturday, April 9, 2022

H is for Home!

 


H is for Home

My husband and I have been talking about homes a lot this week. This morning he actually asked me if I wanted to “upgrade.” To be honest, I don’t want to move because I love our location and I love our home. It was built 8 years ago and it was new when we moved in June 2014. It is the perfect size for the two of us with occasional weekend visitors like our daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter #2, or my sister. I told him that I wouldn’t mind upgrading a couple of things in our house. I’ve always wanted a “fancy” stove and double ovens. I wouldn’t mind removing the giant tub in our bathroom and making our closet larger. All of those would be changes to the actual HOUSE but those things are not what makes our HOUSE a HOME.

Some people, no matter their age, have a knack for making a house a home. I’m not sure I had it when we were newlyweds. Maybe I had it, but it wasn’t developed yet!

Mark and I both have the gift of hospitality, and we love for people to feel “at home” from the moment they walk in our door until they leave . . .and then later, to think back about how “at home” they felt when visiting with us. We love to have people around our dining room table engrossed in good conversation, eating good food, and laughing. We love laughing. Maybe laughter is one of the things that makes a house a HOME.

Love, laughter, good memories, special people – these are the things that make a house a home. At 63, I’m happy to live in a good home!

We even have a "white picket fence"

we could always get a new
shower

Young adults around
our table this past
Tuesday = HOME

Home is where the porch
light is always on

Home is where the guest bedroom
is always ready to welcome you!

Home is where we lay our
head at night (even though we
have an entirely different
bedspread on now!)

What about you? What makes your house a home?

10 comments:

  1. Home home certainly looks warm and inviting -- exactly the sort of things I'm drawn to. Like its residents, our home's showing wear and tear. I've had better, but love this one best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ours, too. That is a good feeling!

      Delete
  2. Your home looks lovely and I love the big dining room table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One of my non-negotiables was a large dining room!

      Delete
  3. Your home is beautiful and looks so warm and inviting! Our house is almost 100 years old and needs a lot of work that we can't afford to do at this time, but it's still our home and we love it. We have carefully picked out furnishings over the years from flea markets and auctions. It is my nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wonderful thing about a 100 year old home is the fact that it has lots of character!! I love the thought of home being a nest!

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Lisa for dropping by my blog and for your comments.
    Your post reminded me of my school English teacher explaining to us the difference between 'house' and 'home'.
    You and Mark are truly gifted for your ability to make visitor feel at home.

    ReplyDelete