Thursday, April 7, 2022

F is for Food/Family/Friends

 


F is for Food/Family/Friends

F is for Food

It doesn’t matter whether you are 3 or 63, we all need to eat good, nourishing food. The thing that I’ve noticed (and I know that this doesn’t apply to everyone) is that we tend to eat out less but when we do eat out, we usually eat at nicer restaurants. The only time we ever get fastfood is a salad from Chick Fil A. I honestly don’t remember the last time I ate anything from McDonalds or Burger King. I’m going to be honest. I actually love a good quarter pounder with cheese and a large fry but I don’t think I could do enough exercise (see yesterday’s post) to counteract the calories. We usually eat out once a month or so at a nicer restaurant and when our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter are in town, we might eat out or get take outs from Taziki’s (Greek food) or Taco Mama (bowls, fish tacos, etc.). Actually, I have to take back my words from above. As I was typing I remembered that when our daughter and granddaughter came to visit a couple of months ago, I went to get food at Taco Mama at 5:15 on a Friday night and the place was so crowded that after waiting for 15-20 minutes, I left. The only “restaurant” without a massive line was Culver’s so we did have a butter burger and some fries that night (and it was good!). What is your favorite restaurant? Do you eat a lot of fastfood?

For our regular meals, I try to plan ahead (loosely) with a few dinner ideas. This past weekend, I actually prepared 3 entrees for us for the week. On Monday night, we ate a modified WW version of Poppyseed Chicken (using a Pound Dropper recipe that I added/subtracted ingredients). Last night, we hosted the young adults and we had Honeybaked turkey breast, hashbrown casserole, green beans, and salad. I’m actually picking up dinner at church tonight and it is tacos. In the fridge at home, I also have Eggroll in a Bowl and I have stuffed peppers. What are your go-to week night recipes? There are only 2 of us at home and sometimes I make too much for just two.





F is for Family

My “original” family consisted of my mom and dad and I have two older sisters. My mom died when I was in high school and my dad died when I was 25. I would love to sit down with them and ask lots of questions. I want to know more about their growing up years and I want to hear their story about getting married. So many questions that I can’t ask. My sisters are both alive but one is having major health issues. Neither live in the same town where I live. The oldest sister is widowed and the other sister is divorced. I don't have a current photo of the three of us but TODAY is the middle sister's birthday!

Mark and I have been married since 1984. We have twins – boy/girl – who are 35. They each have a little girl.

My hubby has 3 siblings and they all have a spouse. One of his brothers has no children. His twin brother has one daughter and his sister has 3 boys. When we are all together, it is pretty awesome. My mother-in-law is 96 and her health is not great but it was until just a year or so ago. Since my parents were both dead before Mark and I married, my mother-in-law has been a mother to me.

Do you have a big family? A small family? Do you live in the same city as some of your family members?





F is for Friends

I feel like Mark and I have been extremely blessed with friends. As I shared in yesterday’s post, we have a close knit supper club. I met one of the wives of that group when our twins were 6 weeks old and she was pregnant with her second child. We’ve been friends all of these years. Our sons actually were roommates in college. We have many others that we call friends, too. Mark is in a men’s Bible study that he has been in for probably 20 years. Now that he has retired, they go out to breakfast after their 6 a.m. Bible study each week.

I am friends with several of my co-workers and we have many friends through our Sunday School class and we have become friends with some of our neighbors.

I’ve mentioned my lunch friends before – there are four of us and we meet for lunch once a month. We all have a son in the same age bracket and we all go to the same church.

Years ago, I heard a wonderful “talk” about having friends and we were reminded that in order to have friends you first have to BE A FRIEND. I’m going to be honest. I don’t know how people walk through life without friends but I know some people are loners or are just not into friendships.

What about you? Do you have a close friend group?

I know that neither food, family, or friends belong just to those who are 63. I do think I might have developed more of an appreciation for these things over the years.











10 comments:

  1. What a delightful post! The three Fs in life are so vital!
    That's a tall Christmas tree in your picture, is this outside our house?
    I live in Switzerland, so unfortunately we don't have a Taco Mama to pick up dinner from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Christmas tree was outside the church where our son and daughter-in-law and granddaughter #1 attend. It was Christmas Eve. I've never been to Switzerland but in June will travel to Italy, Germany, and Austria. I think one of the day trips may bring us into Switzerland. I've been to the airport in Frankfurt but that is "all" I've seen from those countries so I am excited!!

      Delete
  2. Your food imagery looks like a professional layout! I've not enjoyed Culvers since we left Arizona -- neat to realize they made it here to Alabama! Tom and I've each been blessed to develop friendships here, but nothing close -- or often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we lived nearby (just a tad closer!), we could be in person friends :-). Yes -- Culvers is near our house!! I've eaten something from there twice - once when they first opened, I had cheese curds. They were so good but way too fattening! Then I had the butter burger and fries this last time. They seem to have a lot of thing on their menu for a fast food place.

      Delete
  3. Yum to all that delicious looking food! It was nice hearing about your family and friends! On to the letter G!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food is always important. Family facilitates living. Friends provide special energy. They are not around like family. But important support when around. A to Z challenge makes you write. Write and interact with a big blogger community.
    Effectiveness, Efficiency and Excellence - Engineering Supervision

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting! Yes -- A to Z challenge makes us write!

      Delete
  5. We ate out entirely too often before Covid. We didn't eat out again until about 6 months ago, and we still rarely get fast food. We do eat out A LOT when we go to Kansas City to visit our daughter!
    I always wished I had a sister growing up, but I just have an older brother! My mom passed away almost 6 years ago, and my dad is 87 and still going pretty strong. Our son is in Little Rock with his wife and daughter in KC. My brother and his wife are also in KC. My husband's parents live in the same town as us, his sister in Tulsa, and their kids are in Ft.Smith, Dallas, and Norman. So we are pretty scattered now that the kids are grown and have trouble getting together!
    My husband and I don't really have a friend group, but my two best friends at work have decided he should be included when the three of us do something together. He goes along sometimes (he's always worked in offices of mostly women and prefers their company most of the time). He works from home since Covid, so he will go out and do almost anything to get out of the house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun that your work friends want to include your husband! That is so kind. Your family is spread out! Our nephews are spread from New York to Austin -- with one in Delaware and one in Houston. We love when we get to be with all of them!

      Delete