Saturday, September 30, 2023
Wednesday, September 27, 2023
I'm joining up with Joyce and friends for the Wednesday Hodgepodge!
1. It's officially fall y'all. In the northern hemisphere anyway. Any signs of it where you are? What's your favorite thing about this time of year.
Well, it is was 90 degrees here today so it was not very fall-like. This past weekend I worked/attended our Women's Retreat and we woke up to two beautiful mornings of pleasantly cool temps. We had a hint of fall! I love to hear the leaves crunch under my feet and I love all of the fall colors!
2. Have you visited any "falls" in person? Tell us about one of your favorites? Of the following top ten famous falls which would you most like to see in person? Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe/Zambia), Igazu Falls (Argentina/Brazil), Niagara Falls (US/Canada), Angel Falls (Venezuela), Yosemite Falls (California), Dettifoss (Iceland) Kaieteur Falls (Guyana), Plitvice Waterfalls (Croatia), Gullfoss-Golden Falls (Iceland), or Sutherland Falls (New Zealand)
I have visited a few water falls over the years. I'm pretty sure we went to see some falls in Hawaii but that was a million years ago. There are falls in the Preserve right across the road. I have been there but not in a few years. That is sad since they are right across the road!! I would love to see ALL of the falls on the list.
3. What's something you'll miss about summer?
I LOVE the long days with lots of daylight. The short days with not enough sunlight make me sad.
4. A favorite fall recipe?
Yum! I love Pumpkin roll (but I don't eat it anymore). I love any and all soups. I love Thanksgiving food -- Turkey and dressing is one of my faves. Actually, the dressing and gravy would be my favorite. I love the winter squashes roasted.
5. Something you enjoy but lately have allowed it to "fall by the wayside"?
I love to blog but haven't slowed down long enough to write much.
6. Insert your own random thought here. I need to do a photo dump and just make it an extra long post and catch up!! Also, would y'all like to see pictures of the repaired house? We don't have any rugs yet and we don't have a lot of artwork. We also need a piece of furniture for the entry hall. I need to get busy. When it is all finished, I'll show y'all some photos if you are interested. I should do a "burned out room" photo and a "new room" photo so you can truly see the difference.
Wednesday, September 20, 2023
I'm joining up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for Wednesday Hodgepodge.
1. If your life had a theme song for this past year what would it be? Overcomer by Mandisa. We made it through the last year.
2. Chocolate cake, chocolate milkshake, chocolate ice cream, chocolate truffle, chocolate mousse, chocolate candy bar or a fudgy chocolate brownie...of the chocolate treats listed, which one is your favorite? Which one have you tasted most recently? Or maybe you don't like chocolate??? I love chocolate. My favorite treat lately has been sugar free fudgsicles.
3. What has surprised you recently? People are always surprising me - in both good and bad ways!
4. September 19th is National Voter Registration Day in the US. Are you registered to vote in whatever state or country you happen to live in right now? If not, why not? Not counting a political race, what's something you've had to vote on recently? I am a registered voter. Our neighborhood is in an uproar over a proposed multi-use sprawling mess that is to be built across the road. They want to put in 295 apartments, a boutique hotel with 40 rooms, about 40 townhouses, and a handful of businesses/restaurants and a smallish parking deck. We live in a very nice neighborhood and everyone is going crazy. There are a few people for the development but it seems most are against it. The thing that bothers me is how people have talked to and about the "other side." We have a nature preserve with waterfalls and rocks that people climb and hikers hike. This development will be built in front of the gorgeous woods. If each unit has just 1.5 cars, there will be so many cars on our road that traffic will be a nightmare. The local middle school and elementary school are within walking distance of our neighborhood and they will be swamped with more children. It isn't an official vote but we vote no. Our neighborhood plans to go en masse to the next city zoning meeting in October.
5. Do you like to hike? If so, when's the last time you went hiking and where'd ya go? If you're not a hiker are you a walker? Is walking (for exercise, etc.) part of your daily/weekly routine? See above about the Moss Rock Preserve. I think that was where I hiked last. I'm not a big hiker but went with our son. I don't walk every day but I ride my stationary bike every day.
6. Insert your own random thought here. Our Women's Retreat is this weekend and I'm really looking forward to being away a couple of days and nights!
Sunday, September 17, 2023
Hey friends! I'm joining up with Bev and friends over at Sunday Stealing. I think she stole these questions from Pinterest.
1. What is your favorite book? I’m horrible at favorites. My favorite book is whatever book I’m reading at any given time. Actually, I read 1984 again last week and I had to make myself finish it. I had forgotten how it ended.
2. Are you afraid of the dark? I don’t think so. I would NOT choose to be out in unfamiliar woods at night.
3. Are you mean? Honestly? I can be. I do try not to be mean . . .but I can be mean.
4. Is cheating ever OK? Which kind of cheating are we talking about? In my opinion, it is never ok to cheat on your husband/spouse. Most of my online classes have allowed us to use our books/notes during tests which feels like cheating, but it is ok. My mother-in-law used to say, “Either you are honest . . .or you aren’t.”
5. Can you keep white shoes white? I haven’t worn white shoes in a long time so I don’t know. I remember using white shoe polish to make white keds white again.
6. Are you currently bored? No, because I’m answering these questions!
7. Would you change your name? I changed my last name when we got married.
8. Do you like the subway? We don’t have a subway system in Alabama. As a matter of fact, our public transportation is horrible here.
9. Who’s the last person you had a deep conversation with? I had a deep conversation with a young adult last week.
10. Dumbest lie you’ve ever told? Much like cheating, I try not to lie. I’m sure I have told a really dumb lie at some point.
11. Do you sleep with your door open or closed? We start the night with the door open. When the cat starts irritating Mark, he gets up and puts him outside the bedroom and closes the door.
12. Favorite month? I told y’all . . .I’m horrible at favorites. If I sat here long enough, I could tell you reasons why each of the months is my favorite.
13. Dark, milk, or white chocolate? Dark
14. Tea or coffee? Diet pepsi
15. Night or day? Day . . .I am not a night owl and last week, I stayed up late too many nights.
Wednesday, September 13, 2023
I'm joining up with Joyce and friends at From This Side of the Pond.
1. Did you watch any coverage of the 9/11 services on Monday? How do you feel on this day some 22 years after the events occurred? Share more if you want to share more. I did not watch any coverage. I worked a 12 hour day on Monday so there was no time for TV. Every year I think about exactly where I was when it happened and how everyone stopped working out in the gym and we all moved toward the TV. Total silence came over the gym except for the voice on the TV. I don’t know how long we stood there staring at the TV but then everyone packed up and went home. I remember turning the TV on at home and being almost paralyzed – unable to do anything else. I remember the sense of relief when the kids came home from school and Mark came home from work and we were all under one roof together.
2. September 13th is National Peanut Day...do you like peanuts? Your favorite dish that contains peanuts? I love peanuts. I love the salted and dry roasted. I don’t eat this anymore but my favorite way to eat them would be sprinkled on a slice of peanut butter pie. Yum! Yum!
3. Something you're currently 'nuts' about? I’m always nuts about our granddaughters. Another silly thing that I am nuts about is . . .weird. I found these 100 calorie packs of oatmeal at Target that are so good.
4. Your favorite Peanuts character? There are several quizzes online if you're curious...I took two and got the same character for both so I'm sure it's accurate lol. (Click here for the link) My daughter and I both love Snoopy! We even have a stuffed Snoopy for the granddaughters.
5. Tell us about a job you worked 'for peanuts'? I used to babysit for $.50 an hour. My first “real” job was wrapping presents at a local department store. I don’t remember exactly what I made but it was peanuts, too. I worked two holiday seasons there and enjoyed it. I made peanuts when I went to work for South Central Bell, too.
6. Insert your own random thought here. It is 5:31 on Wednesday morning and I am so tired. I’ve stayed up late for about 4 nights in a row and I actually took my BIO 102 quiz at 11:00 pm last night. I am NOT a night person. I’ve been trying to figure out if there is a place where I can hide at work to take a mid afternoon 20 minute nap. I’m only sort of kidding.
Also, If I haven't responded to your comment on my blog or haven't commented on your blog in a few days . . .I'm coming back and will catch up! I love reading your comments and your blogs!!
Monday, September 11, 2023
Thanks for the prompts for 10 on the 10th!
Sunday, September 10, 2023
I've been working in "my" room - my office, my craft space, my she cave . . .whatever you want to call it. I've stopped a few times to flip through photos and remember. There are photos of the kids when they were little. There are photos of Mark and me as newlyweds. There are photos of the granddaughters and of weddings.
The photo below is not an old photo. It is one that I took a few days ago. It is an eye patch, a Bible study handout on the gospel of Mark, and my notebook that tells me everything I have to do each day. The date on the page is July 9, 2022. The notepad was on the kitchen island and you probably can't see it, but it has been wet . . . . and then dried.
I'm writing this for me -- because I want to remember the kindness of so many people and the goodness of God. You can tell that the Bible study handout has been wet. It was IN MY BIBLE. The Bible was not wet at all. The notebook had regular things on my to-do list - do this and do that. This is to remind me that everything can change in the blink of an eye or the flash of a bolt of lightning. The eye patch is a reminder of the kindness of people - those who drove me places, the kind doctors, those who fed us, and gave us money and gift cards, the Hoover fire fighters, our neighbors . . . the list goes on an on.
I hope I never have to live through anything like July of last year (plus the next 12 months) again but I don't want to ever forget.
We are almost to the point of seeing blessings in all of it.
Wednesday, September 6, 2023
I'm joining up with the Hodgepodge gang. Joyce at From This Side of the Pond writes the questions, we answer and link up. Join us or feel free to answer in the comments!
1. It's National Read A Book Day...whatcha' reading? What's a book you want to read? I just started reading 1984. I read it back in high school but wanted to refresh my memory. I just finished Meg Lanslow’s newest book. I’ve always loved to read. I keep my kindle on the book rack on my stationary bike.
2. Which is better...having high expectations or low expectations? Explain why. I might change my mind when I read everyone else’s answers but today I’m going with low expectations. If I have low expectations, I will probably be pleasantly surprised. I think my go-to is high expectations and then I’m disappointed.
3. Serenity is sitting by the water (gulf, lake, etc.) and allowing my mind to empty and to feel at peace. When we are at the beach, I feel like the waves roll into the beach and grab my troubles and whisk them out to sea.
4. What's the most interesting thing in your purse or pocket right now? As I walked by my purse a few minutes ago, I dropped in a tiny bag of Halloween pretzels, a built bar, and an apple. I guess the most interesting thing (?) would be several gift cards I haven’t spent.
5. What helps you calm down? See the answer to #3. Also, I try to stop and take deep, slow breaths – in to the count of 12. . . out to the count of 12. I can also jump on my stationary bike and pedal away. As a Christian, I know I should say “pray and read the Bible.” Sometimes when I’m upset, I actually have to calm down before I do those things. Sometimes talking it over with someone will also help calm me down.
6. Insert your own random thought here. We’ve made plans to go to the beach in October with our kids and grandkids and I am really looking forward to some sun, sand, good seafood, time with family, etc. We haven’t been to the beach since June of 2021 and I’ve missed it!!