Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Deep Breaths . . Hodgepodge

I'm joining up with the Hodgepodge gang. Joyce at From This Side of the Pond writes the questions, we answer and link up. Join us or feel free to answer in the comments!

1. It's National Read A Book Day...whatcha' reading? What's a book you want to read? I just started reading 1984. I read it back in high school but wanted to refresh my memory. I just finished Meg Lanslow’s newest book. I’ve always loved to read. I keep my kindle on the book rack on my stationary bike.

2. Which is better...having high expectations or low expectations? Explain why. I might change my mind when I read everyone else’s answers but today I’m going with low expectations. If I have low expectations, I will probably be pleasantly surprised. I think my go-to is high expectations and then I’m disappointed.

3. Serenity is sitting by the water (gulf, lake, etc.) and allowing my mind to empty and to feel at peace. When we are at the beach, I feel like the waves roll into the beach and grab my troubles and whisk them out to sea. 

4. What's  the most interesting thing in your purse or pocket right now? As I walked by my purse a few minutes ago, I dropped in a tiny bag of Halloween pretzels, a built bar, and an apple. I guess the most interesting thing (?) would be several gift cards I haven’t spent.

5. What helps you calm down? See the answer to #3. Also, I try to stop and take deep, slow breaths – in to the count of 12. . . out to the count of 12. I can also jump on my stationary bike and pedal away. As a Christian, I know I should say “pray and read the Bible.” Sometimes when I’m upset, I actually have to calm down before I do those things. Sometimes talking it over with someone will also help calm me down.

6. Insert your own random thought here. We’ve made plans to go to the beach in October with our kids and grandkids and I am really looking forward to some sun, sand, good seafood, time with family, etc. We haven’t been to the beach since June of 2021 and I’ve missed it!!


12 comments:

  1. Your answer to #5 is very realistic! Sometimes we do need to get ourselves in a better frame of mind as we head for God's Word and prayer, and I think that's why he gives us settings like sea and sand or whatever to help us find his peace. :-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, a family beach trip! That will be wonderful! I agree the ocean is a place where you can relax your shoulders and your mind both. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your low expectations answer. I did the same. Enjoy your beach vacation next month. The water does have a calming effect if you just chill with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ocean is very calming to me too. So glad you're having a family vacation there next month. Hubby and I are planning to go in November. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your answers. I read 1984 a few years back. Hope you have a lovely time with your family at the beach,

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ocean helps me to relax and helps me get my mind peaceful. Enjoy your beach trip with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your answer to #3. Time at the beach with family and seafood sounds lovely. It's been a long time since we've been to the ocean. Happy September to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I like your answer to #5... keeping it real. Sometimes I cannot pray right away as well, because I will be so upset.

    Wow, what a fun family getaway you have planned. Yay!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm right there with you about high v. low expectations.
    There's something so mesmerizing about the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to live 2 miles from the beach - so it was always my go-to place to wind down. Now I'm a few hours away and have found suitable replacements. I love waterfalls and we have so many in my county that I can go to and sit - lakes, rivers and creeks. I do enjoy the sounds of rushing water. Sitting in the forest, looking up at the trees is also calming to me.
    Your family outing sounds fun. I bet you are very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband recently read 1984 and it's scary, honestly. Also, your lake weekend sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your answers. I have that book on my kindle but I haven't read it again yet. I have so many books to read...lol.

    ReplyDelete