Friday, April 8, 2022

G is for Gran/Granddaughters

 


G is for Gran/Granddaughters

Six years plus 9 months ago, our son and daughter-in-law gave us a wrapped package and inside was a photo in a frame. I didn’t have my glasses on and thought it was just a picture of their new puppy. They told me to look again so I put on my glasses and did just that. Imagine our surprise when we realized what was in the photo. We were going to be grandparents for the first time.


To be honest, I didn’t think I was ready to be a grandmother.

During the 9 months of the pregnancy, we were also dealing with our son’s illness. It is a long story and it is his story to tell but there were a few crazy months along the way. He had major surgery in January and then I actually flew out of the country for 10 days. I came back to some fun baby showers and then it was time for her to arrive. We gathered in the waiting room . . .and we waited.

One of the most amazing things happened. We were notified that granddaughter #1 had arrived and that we could meet her in about an hour. When they handed her to me, I fell in love IMMEDIATELY. I’ve been in love with that sweet girl ever since. She made me a Gran.

A few years later, our daughter got married and about a year later, we received another fun announcement. 

Once again, we attended some fun baby showers and waited. Once again, the day arrived and we waited in the waiting room with the other set of grandparents to be. We were notified that granddaughter #2 had arrived and who knew that the minute they handed her to me, I fell in love again. After the delivery, the nurses couldn't get our daughter's blood pressure down and we had a few scary hours . . . actually overnight but they finally got her stablized.

Mark is the best Pops ever. He drives them around the neighborhood in the golf cart. He plays Barbies with them. He makes up amazing and creative stories.

I was 57 when granddaughter #1 arrived and 60 when #2 arrived and now they are 6 and 2 ¾ and I’m 63. Being a Gran is GRAND indeed! Granddaughter #1 lives about 30 minutes away and Granddaughter #2 lives about an hour and a half away.

Do you have grandchildren? How many? Do they live nearby?

5 comments:

  1. Precious memories, Lisa! You're so blessed to have had a front-row seat to the girls' debut! Both of mine were born 1,700+ miles away, so I've missed the majority of their childhoods. Today the girls are 27 and 24; I'm praying for a GREAT grand!

    PS - Love that dress you're wearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dress came from Steinmart and it is so comfortable and I wear it often. My sister bought one for herself when she was visiting (back in 2018!) and I liked it so much that she went back and bought one for me! I love comfortable dresses!! It must be hard being 1700+ miles away.

      Delete
  2. So much sweetness! I'm ready to be a grandmother, but my son and daughter in law have said not until they finish their medical residencies, so I've got at least another 2 years to wait! My daughter is nowhere near getting married, let alone having a baby, so I'll keep (mostly) patiently waiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our daughter would love to have another baby but so far that hasn't happened for them. I don't blame them for waiting until after their medical residencies. We have friends who are doctors and I know that it is very hard to juggle family life plus a residency.

      Delete
  3. I went from having no grandchildren to having 3 grandsons in just over a year (1 for each of my children) and then during lockdown they all had another child so I now have 6 grandchildren inc 1 granddaughter and I love them all. It amazes me how our ability to love just keeps expanding.

    ReplyDelete