Thursday, April 14, 2022

L is for Loving and Listening

L is for Loving 

When I was young, I thought I knew how to love people. In hind sight, I realize that I often loved others for what they could do for me. I don't think this was intentional. I'm just not sure I knew how to love . . .maybe until I had children . . .and maybe until now . . . .and maybe at 63, I'm still learning how to LOVE!

Over the last year or so, several of us have been talking about what it means to love everyone -- to truly love everyone. In February, we did a study with our young adults and we talked about how Jesus said, "love one another" and then he took it one step further and said, "love one another, as I have loved you." 

Whether you believe in God or not, what does it mean to you to truly love someone else? Do you think you love people better now than you did 10 years ago? Do you love anyone unconditionally? Does anyone on this earth love you unconditionally?

L is for loving . . .and I hope at 63, I'm growing in the way I love others.

L is also for Listening

Are you a good listener? I don't think I was a good listener when I was younger. I'm not the best listener for my poor hubby! I do think that I am a much better listener now than I used to be. My job sort of requires it. Sometimes people need to tell me things and I need to listen. What I want to do EVERY TIME is tell them my story that is similar to their story so that they know I understand. I'm working on that. I don't need to say something every time. I need to zip my lip, make eye contact, truly listen, and show love.

Have you been told that you are a good listener? Do you have someone who listens well to you?




2 comments:

  1. GReat post! I try very hard to be a good listener as it has become a "lost art." Everyone generally feels they must be talking. Have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right -- listening has become a "lost art." Hope you have a wonderful Easter, too.

      Delete