Monday, April 4, 2022

C is for Clarity, Change, and Cat

 


C is for Clarity – When I was brainstorming things about being 63, the very first thing that came to my mind was clarity. Today I decided to look up clarity online – Merriam Webster’s definition is this: the quality or state of being clear. Well CRAP – I don’t think I have clarity. Surely by the time you are 63, you should. I guess I do have clarity in some areas of my life. I’m clear who I am – I’m a person who is still growing and learning. I do have moments of clarity. I don’t remember everything that has happened over the years, but I do remember some things with amazing clarity. When you think of clarity what comes to mind?

C is for Change – I’ve always heard that sometimes when people get “older” they have change aversion. That is a nice way to say that old people often don’t like change. At 63, I’m not there yet. I grew up attending traditional worship and actually usually still attend traditional worship, but I must admit that I love the music that is played/sung in our contemporary service. As I’m typing, I’m listening to Elevation Worship sing “Graves Into Gardens.” The crowd surrounding the stage in the YouTube video is young. At 63, I would stand out YET I love listening.

I know that I just said that I don’t have change aversion . . .but the change that I’m not looking forward to is retirement. I know most people look forward to that time in their life but I love my job. I love having a sense of purpose. I love helping others. I still have several years (hopefully) before I have to retire. I work with a very YOUNG staff, and I’ve worked hard to stay sharp and keep up.

I wonder as I work through the alphabet if I will CHANGE my mind on some things! Do you have change aversion?

C is for Cat (or crazy cat lady) – I have lots of allergies and one of my worst is cats and we have a cat. We might even be crazy cat people. Our cat, Harvey, is a rescue and he is a big baby! He loves to sit in our laps. He is like a baby who needs a morning nap. He never likes to see the bottom of his food bowl. He has us wrapped around his little finger paw! This is how crazy we are . . .he loves to have his teeth flossed. We assume that his original rescue person flossed his teeth because how in the world would a cat know about dental floss???





8 comments:

  1. Funny, clarity's not something I give much thought. (Unless I'm penning a business letter, but that doesn't happen so much anymore.) The little church we attend doesn't boast a congregation large enough for 2 services, but you're right. The contemporary music played at another nearby denomination practically begs me to get on my feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are a big church and have 2 contemporary and 2 traditional services at one campus and at our other campus, we have one blended (ish) (more contemporary) service.

      Delete
  2. I'm 75 and my clarity seems to be lessening instead of clearifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there is a "certain point" in each one of us where our clarity does begin to slide downhill.

      Delete
  3. I think one secret to a happy retirement (and it's a process!!) is to cultivate hobbies well before you retire. It helps. I enjoy volunteering as well and have a regular role every Thursday in an area I enjoy. I know I need to have some things on my calendar regularly, otherwise its just too much blank canvas, too much free time, which for me can send me into the doldrums. It's nice to have flexibility in traveling and being available for our family. Retirement takes some adjusting, but you'll find a new rhythm. Good luck with the A-Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harvey is a handsome boy! We have three cats. I only planned on having two, but I got a two for one deal on the boys (littermates) :D
    My husband said he was allergic to cats when we met. I told him he'd just have to get shots or something, because I was never giving up my cat. That was several cats ago! He desensitized himself or was never really allergic - take your pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chuckling about your husband's allergies - maybe he did indeed become desentized over time.

      Delete