Saturday, April 2, 2022

B is for Boomer II/Belief/Beer/Breweries/Buttons

 


B is for Boomer II/Belief/Beer/Breweries/Buttons

B is for Boomer II  -- I just recently read an article about Boomers and that article led me to read more things about Boomers. I always knew that I didn’t see things the same way my oldest sister sees them and from what I’ve read this makes sense. Boomers were born between the years of 1946 – 1964. I always assumed that all three of us (3 sisters) were considered boomers but technically, my oldest sister was born right at the end of the previous generation -the Silent Generation.

Boomers are actually broken down into two categories – those born at the beginning of the time frame who were children/teenagers in the 60’s and those of us born later in the generation who were teenagers in the 70’s.

Did you know that supposedly a baby was born every 8 seconds during the years of 1946 – 1964? I looked on several different websites and the numbers vary but evidently there were between 72.5 million and 80 million babies born during that time span. Y’all – millions of babies who are now basically my age.

Even the 5 years of difference between Mark and I share some differences. His age group was the last one who was called up for the draft for the Vietnam War. He just missed it – his number was about to come up and they ended the draft. This wasn’t even something those who are 63 faced. The draft was over.

B is for Belief – By the time a person is 63, you would think that their beliefs would be in stone and some of my most important ones are. I’m a Christian and I believe that Jesus/God/Holy Spirit are three in one and I believe that Jesus was born on this earth to lead us to the Father. Even with those beliefs which are a firm part of my foundation, I have found that I am still pliable. I am willing to listen to other viewpoints. I am willing to research and read. I am mature enough to then process and form my own opinions. Whatever age you are, are your beliefs in stone? Are you willing to listen to others?

B is for Beer and Breweries – What does that have to do with being 63? I don’t even drink beer but I do live with someone who enjoys a craft beer. By the time you are 63, hopefully you can afford to drink craft beer if you so desire! We don’t have little ones so we can visit a brewery if we want. I can drive and Mark can do a tasting. A few weeks ago, our son and Mark, a family friend, and Bob (our brother-in-law) did a Saturday brewery crawl. They visited several breweries on a Saturday afternoon and had a great time.



Also, did you know that you can purchase a book on Amazon that is titled “B is for Beer” and it is a children’s book for adults? One of the lines in the book is so funny. The little girl is asking her mother about beer and what it is and the little girl asks, “Is it kinda like Pepsi for silly old men”? I’m still laughing at that sentence.

B is for Buttons – Come on . . .where am I going with this? Did you know that sometimes when you are 63, it is hard to fasten tiny buttons?? That is so annoying because I can usually pretend I’m still young. I have several blouses that have a couple of tiny covered buttons in the back at the neckline. They are those tiny buttons that have a tiny fabric loop. Do you know what I’m talking about? I finally figured out that I can button two and still get it over my head. Then I turn the back to the front and fasten the button and then turn it back around and THEN I put my arms in the sleeves. Good grief! Who knew that you had to be a contortionist at 63??




5 comments:

  1. I was born in 1954. I was a baby, toddler in the 50's - a school age child in the 60's, and a teen in the 70's (I graduated in 1972)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I graduated in 1976 so we would have been in high school at the same time.

      Delete
  2. I believe a baby was born every 8 seconds during that time period! Our schools were so crowded! The school bus drove up and down three blocks in our neighborhood and the bus was filled with us three in a seat and some even standing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were 17 kids on our ONE block. We had awesome kickball games!

      Delete
  3. I was born in 1946, so got to live the full boomer experience. My husband was born in 1944 and we were surprised to learn that he's not a boomer but a silent generation. Back in the day, nobody said anything about "silent generation" i think it's a recent invention. LOL.

    ReplyDelete