Wednesday, April 28, 2021

X is for . . . .


Y'all -- today is X and then Y and then Z and I will have made it through the #AprilAtoZChallenge for bloggers! X is for Xmas Morning Sausage Squares. When our children were growing up we would get up on Christmas morning to see what Santa had brought during the night. Then we would open our presents to each other. The minute we finished opening, we loaded up in the car and headed across town to my mother-in-law's house to have brunch and open more presents. Over the years, we've always served some sort of breakfast casserole - usually an egg casserole along with sweet rolls and fruit. We try to keep the menu fairly simple. As my children have become adults, eggs don't always make their tummies happy! 

About 10 or 15 years ago I was at an Emmaus team meeting and part of the group provided breakfast. Merrie Lynne served this wonderful "breakfast casserole." I immediately fell in love with it and thought my kids would love it so I asked for the recipe. She said, "It is so easy." I said those are my favorite kinds of recipes!! I have now made this recipe so many times that I don't even have to look at the recipe anymore because it is indeed so easy. Every time I make it and take it somewhere . . .someone comes up to me and asks for the recipe! It doesn't have to be Christmas morning to enjoy this recipe!

There is actually no name written on my recipe. She actually tore a piece off her folder of information to write the recipe on so I have a jagged torn edge paper in her handwriting in my recipe binder. I need a recipe that begins with X and so I'm making this fit. 

Xmas Morning Sausage Squares

Ingredients:
2 packages of refrigerated crescent rolls (you can use the lower calorie ones if you can find them)
2 lbs breakfast sausage - one hot and one mild
2 8 ounce packages cream cheese (I use 1/3 less fat)
1 cup (or more) grated cheddar cheese


Preheat oven to 350.
Spray a 9 X 13 pan with pam.
Brown and scramble sausage in a large skillet. Drain grease. Put sausage back in skillet and add cream cheese and stir until cream cheese melts into the sausage.
Place one package of crescent rolls in bottom of pan.
Pour sausage and cream cheese mixture over rolls.
Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
Cover with remaining package of rolls.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
Cut into squares.

This is good stuff y'all! 

Just in case you ever wondered . . .After the brunch is eaten and the presents are opened, we play croquet on Christmas Day in my mother-in-law's front yard.


Does your family have a Christmas breakfast or Christmas morning tradition?

sausage squares in progress
minus the top layer

golden brown sausage squares
fresh out of the oven

Yum! Yum!








10 comments:

  1. Super twist on the traditional egg-n-sausage casserole! I try not to eat bread, but will definitely make an exception for this.

    Love that you kept Merrie's original. Hand-written recipes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good!! I bet it is filling too! Wonderful memories of past Christmases :)

    When the kids were growing up we used to make our version of the Egg McMuffin sandwich from McDonald's. We called it Egg Mc(our last name). It was a fried egg with cheese and Canadian bacon on an English muffin. That was usually our Christmas morning tradition.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect choice for your X post. Love that you have the original handwritten recipe. It sounds like the perfect rich, indulgent, filling treat for a holiday breakfast. Yum! I don't really have a traditional recipe, but often some baked french toast creation finds its way to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No special morning food traditions. Maybe bacon, a rare treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! That sure sounds so good! Thanks for sharing. No Christmas morning traditions here anymore but I have great memories of when my siblings and I were young. So sorry the A-Z is nearly over. You have given us so many yummy things to make!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've done the sausage and egg casserole for years on Christmas morning but this is a great egg-free twist. It does look easy and delicious! Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! Happy hardest day of the challenge. I think we've made it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does look delicious! Several family celebrations I've been to have deviled eggs. Maybe that's a tradition?

    I love letter X posts! Always such variety.
    It's hard to believe the blogging challenge is almost over. Then the after survey, reflections, and the road trip sign-up.
    Plus, I'm taking part in the Bout of Books read-a-thon in May. So much excitement!
    J Lenni Dorner~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that looks great! Sort of a breakfast Shepherd's Pie. And I love that you played croquet. This was a big game in my family growing up -- and in retirement my parents even joined a croquet league. https://mollyscanopy.com/2021/04/x-bedroom-i-have-to-move-atozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete