Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Lemon Parsley Potatoes and Chicken Schnitzel



L is for Lemon Parsley Potatoes and Chicken Schnitzel. When I went to Israel the first time back in 2016, I was not very adventurous with my food choices. I shared with you on "F is for Falafel" that I didn't even try Falafel. The one thing I did eat almost every day for lunch was Chicken Schnitzel. Wait a minute -- today is not "c" nor "s" . . .I'll get there in a minute. Just wait. So while we've been eating at home over the last 13 months, I started craving chicken schnitzel but I wanted it to be WW friendly. I searched recipes on line and found "Chicken Schnitzel with Lemon and Parsley Potatoes." The recipe was a UK WW recipe!! This recipe is a bit more labor intensive that many recipes I make but it was worth it because it tasted good. The best part of the recipe was the lemon sauce!! Mark said if I make it again, I should double the sauce we could put it on the chicken, too. To fit today's "L" category, we will reverse the name. I should also tell you that I have a food scale that weighs in ounces or grams. This recipe uses grams so I just switched the scale and weighed the ingredients.




Lemon Parsley Potatoes with Chicken Schnitzel

New Potatoes - raw - 700 grams
Plain white flour - 3 T. (I used White Lily)
Eggs - 2 - lightly beaten (I used jumbo)
Japanese Panko breadcrumbs - 90 grams
Lemon - 1 large - zest and juice needed (plus extra if desired) - you need 2 T juice for recipe
Boneless chicken breasts - 4 (recipe calls for 4 but you could increase recipe if serving more people or if you like thighs and are not on WW, you could always use boneless thighs)
Pam (or other brand spray)
reduced fat mayo - 3 T. (I used Hellman's light)
Parsley, fresh - 3 T chopped plus sprigs if you want to decorate 
Dijon mustard - 1/2 t heaped (I used a little more)

The original recipe called for baking the chicken. I used the air fryer and used a meat thermometer to determine doneness.

Cook new potatoes until fork tender. Original recipe says 20 minutes but it took a little longer for mine to cook. When tender, drain and set aside.

Using two paper plates and one paper bowl  (or small bowls from your kitchen) - put flour on one plate, eggs in the bowl (lightly beaten), and panko on another plate. I'm being totally honest. I hate using that many dishes that have to be washed - hence, the paper products. 

The recipe doesn't call for any seasoning in the flour but I added some Cavender's Greek seasoning and a little salt and pepper.

Dip each chicken breast into flour mixture (both sides), then egg, then Panko. At this point, I used the air fryer to cook the chicken. (you can click on the link for the recipe in the opening paragraph and see the original instructions). I did spray each piece of chicken with pam when I placed in air fryer and I flipped about midway through cooking and sprayed the other side.

Here are the instructions for the best part of the recipe -- the Lemon Parsley sauce. My favorite part of the original recipe (besides the taste) is found in their instructions, "In a small jug, mix . . ." I didn't have a small "jug" on hand so I used a bowl. Mix mayo, parsley, mustard, and lemon juice together. Pour over potatoes and stir gently until sauce covers all potatoes. If we make it again and double the sauce, I would use half on the potatoes and drizzle some on each piece of chicken as I served.

Serve potatoes alongside piece of chicken schnitzel and sprinkle extra chopped parsley on top. May also serve with lemon wedges.

My picture does not showcase the potatoes in an attractive way. I used gold potatoes because I love the taste but I think the dish would be prettier with red new potatoes. I would normally serve a green veggie or salad alongside. I don't usually serve two starches together especially with breading on the chicken BUT this has been the way the last year has gone - sometimes you have all of the ingredients in the house and sometimes you use what you have.


Have you made more substitutions in your recipes over the last year? Have you created new things to eat using the ingredients in your pantry, fridge, and freezer?





4 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for telling us about it and sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Terri just said. :) I so admire your disclipline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything with lemon in it. This sounds yummy. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete