Saturday, April 24, 2021

U is for Unbelievably Easy Snack Cracker Mix

Unbelievably Easy Snack Cracker Mix

Ingredients:
1 package Oyster Crackers
1 box Cheez-its
1 bag Goldfish Crackers
3/4 cup oil
1 pkg Hidden Valley Dry Ranch Mix
1 tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning
2 tsp dried Dill

Mix oil, dressing mix, and all seasonings together in bottom of very large bowl. Add all crackers and stir gently to coat all crackers. Store in air tight container.

I shared the basic recipe above but this recipe can be tweaked in all sorts of ways. I always add a box of mini saltine crackers sometimes in addition to the oyster crackers and sometimes in place of oyster crackers. This is one of my favorite recipes to make and share so sometimes I make a HUGE batch. I have a vintage Fix-N-Mix Tupperware bowl that holds something like 26 cups that works really well. If you don't have a really large bowl, you could always use a 2.5 gallon storage bag. Mix your oil and seasonings in a small bowl and then put everything in the giant zip lock and gently move baggie around until all crackers are coated.

When our kids were growing up we had "backyard" neighbors who were around the same age as our kids. The daughter in that family was a few years older than our kids. I made these snack crackers one year at Christmas time and packaged for the neighbors. Ruth loved those crackers so much that she contacted me every year for quite a few years to get the recipe again.

I made the snack crackers for our neighbors in our new neighborhood a couple of years ago and the packages turned out so cute.

In your neighborhood, do you exchange baked goods or other small treats during the holidays? If so, what are some of your favorites that you have received or given?

I had these ornaments left over because
I had purchased a LARGE number of them.
They worked perfectly as a gift tag!
Hey Neighbor is our tagline at
our church.

all spread out on the island and almost ready 
to take to the
neighbors.

sealed tightly with twist ties

The finishing touch - tied with red and
green ribbon




11 comments:

  1. I love making food gifts for the holidays. My favorite is a homemade caramel. I've been making them for years. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made homemade caramel! Is it a difficult recipe?

      Delete
  2. It is interesting the spicing that goes in this cracker mix with the lemon pepper and the Hidden Valley ranch mix. I bet it is yummy though!

    We don't exchange gifts in our neighborhood, to be honest we barely know any of our neighbors (isn't that a shame after the 5 years we have lived here?) We nod and wave and know a few by their name. Must change this lol :) I think it is lovely you did that in your neighborhood :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of years ago, our pastor did a sermon series and during one of the sermons he asked if we could name the 8 neighbors around us. At that time, my answer was no. I knew our neighbors on either side and our alley neighbor but not 8. During the pandemic shut down, I worked from home for about 10 weeks. I went for a short walk at lunch every day and met so many neighbors at that time. The spices are an unusual mix but work perfectly together!

      Delete
  3. What a great gesture! But, how do you keep the crackers from becoming soft/soggy? They're not baked?
    Like Betty's written, we barely know our neighbors. (At least until Pastor Janet and Andy get their home built next door.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are not baked. You definitely need to store in an airtight container. They don't get soft. Magic? As I mentioned to Betty, I used to not know my neighbors.

      Delete
  4. Sounds good, and SO much easier than the traditional cracker mix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe and great idea for holiday exchanges! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not that I need a snack mix (this is the sort of thing I could eat by the bagful), but this one looks good and I've never tried it. I like simple and this would make a good boat snack. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete