Thursday, April 8, 2021

G is for Guacamole

A B C D E F and now we are all the way to G!! G is for Guacamole! Do you know that I didn't even like avocados or guacamole until I was in my 40's! I thought it tasted nasty. One day, I took a bite of some that my sister-in-law had made . . .and I loved it! Our taste buds must change over time. I asked my sister-in-law to teach me to make guacamole and since then, I have made it many times. 

First, you have to find the right avocados. They need to give a little when you gently squeeze them. Usually, the avocado is greenish to begin with and as it ripens it turns more toward black. I try to buy the avocados several days ahead of when I want to make guacamole. One trick is to put the avocados in a bag and add a banana. This will help ripen them a tad quicker. Nothing works as well as time. If they begin to get too soft, put them in the fridge.



This is one of the tools I use to make my guacamole. The old potato masher was my mother's and I have no idea how it came to be in my possession. The new one came from Walmart or Bed Bath & Beyond or Target! 

Guacamole (for two)

2-3 ripe avocados

1/2 - 1 lemon (juiced)

1/4 cup onion, chopped fine (we do not like "hunks" of raw onion)

1/3 cup chopped tomato (I usually scoop out the seeds)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 T sour cream (or fat free Greek yogurt)

Cut the avocados in half. If seed doesn't fall out, use knife blade. Insert blade side into seed (not the point of the knife). Twist slightly. The seed should come out easily. If the avocados have black spots on the pretty green insides, I trim that off.

Place avocados in bowl. I actually like a bowl with some flat surface area for the bottom. Mash with potato masher. Add lemon juice, onion, tomato, salt, and pepper. Using potato masher, mash several more times. Using a spoon, stir in sour cream or yogurt.

Sour Cream/yogurt has been my secret weapon. The combo of lemon juice and sour cream/yogurt seems to keep the guacamole from turning dark as quickly. If you have someone in your life who doesn't like sour cream or yogurt, don't tell them (unless they are allergic) because you truly cannot taste it.

At this point, get a chip and taste your guacamole and add more lemon juice, salt, or pepper to taste.

Another trick is to use cling wrap (the Press 'N Seal kind). Smooth the top of your guacamole and place cling wrap on top. Using hand, gently press wrap to top of guacamole and press edges tightly to bowl removing as much air as possible between surface of guacamole and wrap. You still don't want to make this too far ahead of time. Remove plastic wrap before serving and fluff your guacamole with a fork.

If you need a larger amount, you simply increase all of your ingredients. I probably would not double or triple salt and pepper. I would start small and add. Guacamole needs the salt and pepper. If you've never used pepper before, try it. Our son told us about adding it and it is a great flavor enhancer.


This is a huge bowl (about 24 avocados) that
I made for a couple's bridal shower.

Do you like guacamole? Do you make your own? If not, where do you purchase your favorite?





10 comments:

  1. One of my favorite foods. I don't put sour cream in mine but I do add chili powder and tabasco. We like a little zing to ours : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried avacados...I don't know if I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when ripe, they are creamy and delicious (to me). In Israel, I ate avocados alongside scrambled eggs for the first time and I even love that combo!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE avocados -- and yours looks delicious! I knew about the brown paper bag, but not the banana. Thanks for that tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't seek out avocados or guacamole but I do like it when I eat Mexican food. I am all in with sour cream Love the stuff!! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love making guacamole. The hardest part seems to be getting the avocados ripe enough but not too ripe! Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guacamole (or anything avocado) is actually one of the very few vegetables I don't really like. It's not terrible and I'll eat it if it's mixed in with something, and every few years I try it again just in case, because I'm a pretty happily diverse eater... but no, I just never like guacamole. *shrug*
    Black and White: I for Isles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the way I used to feel about avocados. It is so weird that one day I liked it!

      Delete