Sunday, April 25, 2021

Sunday Stealing

Joining up with Bev Sykes at Sunday Stealing.

1. What issues are important to you? The first thing that comes to mind is Human Trafficking. Pre-covid, I actually went to an all day training event to learn how to volunteer at a local facility where women of all ages are brought to heal and where they can feel safe. I hope to be able to volunteer there at some point in the future. 

I also read a novel this year, American Dirt, and I cannot get it out of my mind. The book tells the story of a mother and son who have to get away from cartel violence and chronicles their journey across the border. I know it is a novel but it has changed the way I think about those crossing our border. I don't have a solution and I can't argue politics but I CAN put myself in the place of another mother who is desperately trying to get her son to safety.


2. Which breakfast foods are your favorite? I love waffles and pancakes made with Kodiak mix. I also love Morningstar Farms "sausage" patties and I eat those several morning a week. I also love a good biscuit or a side of good grits!! 


3. How often do you change your hair style? How embarrassing . . .I can't remember the last time I changed it. I've been wearing the same hair style for a long time.


4. Your most peculiar talent or interests? I don't think I have any peculiar talents or interests!!


5. Something you’re a natural at . . .LAUGHING! Seriously (pun intended!) I LOVE to laugh!!


6. Women who inspire you -- this is going to sound weird but just this week we studied Lydia in the book of Acts. I've been thinking about her all week. I also have a friend who started seminary this last year. Her kids are almost grown and she heard God's call and is acting on that call. She inspires me! My daughter and daughter-in-law both inspire me, too. They are such good mothers to their daughters.


7. How often do you take a break from everything? Not often enough!!


8. What are your go to dancing songs? I couldn't think of a single song and was getting ready to type "don't have an answer for this one" and then I started laughing (see #5). I love to be with a fun group of people and do something silly like dance to YMCA!! Mark will slow dance with me (at a wedding reception) but that is about it! Way back in 1979 or 1980, my friend Karen and I took Disco Dancing at UAB as an elective. Yes, I know I just dated myself. At the time, I loved to go out and dance. 


9. Favorite carryout and takeaway foods to order - just today we ordered from Urban Cookhouse. I probably get take outs from there once a week. I love a good salad and they have 3 great salads and you can add protein.


10. People you like to spend time with -- our family and our close friends and my work friends . . . and people who make me laugh!


11. Hobbies you started within the last year -- I didn't start any new hobbies this year which is actually crazy because I love to do all sorts of things!


12. What scents, sounds, and sights of Spring do you like? Scents send my allergies over the edge so I've been thankful for masks!! Just today I told my husband that the trees were so green, the sky was so blue, and the sunshine was magnificient . . .and it was just so bright!! I love to hear the sound of the wings of a hummingbird and I love to watch them at our feeders.


13. Cultural aspects you cherish and enjoy -- I live in Alabama and most of us were taught southern manners by our parents. I sometimes think good manners have flown out the window.


14. TV shows and films you liked this month -- we just finished watching all of the seasons of Bosch (warning language) and we are watching Alias now. I've also watched a ridiculous amount of HGTV. I watch it while on the treadmill and while on the recumbent bike. I also record This is Us and watch it later while on the bike!


15. What do people usually come to you for help with? People sometimes come to me just to talk -- I guess I'm maybe a good listener and people know that I can keep things confidential.


2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check that book out, American Dirt; sounds like an interesting story. I live(d) in 2 border states; California and now Arizona. When we lived in California, we were about 10 miles from the border. Its a dilemma with people wanting to come to our country for the freedoms and safety whereas the same time our country is having trouble taking care of their own citizens. I do wonder about our safety as Americans with so many crossing the border these days. I pray about it often. Human trafficking is another concern too with the border so easily accessible these days.

    Two issues that are important to me are the homeless and unborn babies :)

    Loved your answers; helped me to get to know you better :) I can't believe disco dancing was an elective at college :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I loved Bosch. Sure hope another season is on soon! I enjoyed your answers and wish you a good week ahead!! xo

    ReplyDelete