Friday, April 9, 2021

H is for Hamburger Steak


When Mark and I first brainstormed about my topic for April A to Z Challenge, he suggested foods we've eaten during Covid since we've not been out to eat. Just FYI - we are going to a rehearsal dinner this weekend and we will be eating in a room with people other than family for the first time in over a year! 

Whether you work outside your home or are a SAHM or you might even be retired, sometimes we all need quick and VERY EASY things to prepare for dinner. This is one of those "recipes" and I say recipes loosely because there really isn't a recipe. I had these items in the fridge and pantry and threw them together one night and it is now in my dinner rotation every other week or so.

I buy these hamburger patties quite often for the convenience plus as I've told y'all, I'm on WW and these are easy to "count" and each patty is a controlled portion. You can purchase these at Target or Walmart and possibly other grocery stores. These are 93 7 pre-made ground beef patties. There are 4 patties in a package which is perfect even for the two of us because I can take the leftovers in my lunch. I was buying these and cooking them plain and I always cooked them until they became hockey pucks. After I purchased an air fryer, I started cooking them and was able to cook them without overcooking.
Then one day, I had a can of this on the shelf and I created a new dinner. On that night, we just happened to have a small serving of mashed potatoes to split between us! YUMMY! So this is what I do:



Hamburger "Steak"

1 4 pack of 93 7 hamburger patties (or you could use whatever hamburger patties you desire)
1 very large onion or a couple of smaller onions - sliced into rings
1 can Campbell's French Onion soup
large skillet with lid - mine is All Clad and this one is non-stick

Peel and slice onions. Spray skillet with olive oil (from spritzer because you aren't supposed to use Pam type sprays in All Clad.)

Place slices of onion in skillet and turn heat to medium. Allow onions to wilt and begin to brown - maybe 15 minutes or so.

Move onions to one side of the skillet or remove from skillet. Season patties. I use a combo of Cavender's All purpose Greek seasoning and pepper or sometimes I simply use Black and Gold. We were given a bottle of this as a gift and have since ordered a big bag plus other seasonings. Make sure you season both sides of meat. Brown patties in the skillet and let them cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat - turning after 5 minutes.

Place onions on top of meat patties and pour 1 can of French Onion soup on top. Turn the heat down to a slight simmer and place lid on top. At this point, I usually run up and ride the bike so I let them cook about 30 minutes.


The "hamburger steaks" will be moist and delicious. The onion will have cooked down considerably and the onions will taste almost sweet! I usually keep this dinner simple and serve with a couple of veggies or I serve with mashed potatoes and a veggie.

What is your quickest and easiest recipe?


7 comments:

  1. As I child, the only 'steaks' I ever ate 'out' were something like this. Now, my Tom makes the best fried onions - but I never thought of combining them with Campbells.
    My quickest and easiest would probably be Conecuh cracked black pepper sausage with summer squash and bell peppers in the Instant Pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds super interesting and yummy. I have never tried a steak so I'm looking forward to trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these are not really "steaks" but the flavor is yummy! Hope you are having a wonderful day today!

      Delete
  3. That really sounds good!! Thanks for sharing it with us! Looking forward to your next letter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My meat choices are mostly fowl. Well stocked with canned goods, I recently cooked up some brown rice, added brussels sprouts and red pepper and canned chicken breast with juices. Topped it with avocado slices and a hard boiled egg with a large drizzle of tahini.
    https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/
    H is for Hawaiian hibiscus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds yummy! We eat a lot of chicken at our house but every once in a while, I crave red meat.

      Delete
  5. Your recipe sounds so good, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete