Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Overdone at the Hodgepodge

Here are the questions to this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge. Answer on your own blog, then hop over to Joyce's blog to share answers with the rest of the world wide webbers. See you there! 

1. March 9th is National Get Over It Day...what's something you need to 'just get over already'? Let's see . . . This sounds silly, but I need to get over the fact that while teaching Sunday School or facilitating our Tuesday night study via Zoom, the internet ALWAYS decides to act up. For some reason, when that happens, I am mortified!!

Mark snapped this photo of me a week ago
while teaching Sunday School when the
computer froze for the umpteenth time. I'm 
hoping that no "non-Sunday School" words
escaped my mouth.
(Not really haha! - borrowed cartoon from the internet)

2. Something you're currently 'over the moon' about? I'm always "over the moon" about our granddaughters. I know I'm biased but I think they are the cutest and the smartest girls around and I will get to see both of them this weekend!

This girl will be 5 in just a
few days - time has flown!

This little sweetie is 20 months old
today! She had to come to Children's
Hospital last week to check out
her hips - all is well!


3. What's something you're 'chewing over' these days? (meaning-thinking over carefully) We are reading the Gospel of Luke during Lent and I've been teaching a passage on Sunday mornings and facilitating a pre-recorded teaching session and discussion on Tuesday nights so I guess I've been "chewing over" the scripture and several commentaries. I'm not sure that is the answer you were looking for. In addition to the actual scripture, I have two books on Luke by N.T. Wright (love him), a Barclay commentary (love him, too) and my Life Application Bible Commentary. I am definitely "chewing over" the things they write.




4. The last thing you cooked or ate that was overdone? My husband would tell you that I'm notorious for overcooking meat - especially chicken and ground beef patties. I've been trying to use the meat thermometer and not overcook them. I also have a tendency to overcook roasted vegetables. I know this sounds crazy but I actually like some char on the veggies. I really like to roast my asparagus until it is crunchy.

5. In celebration of hitting volume 411 in the weekly Hodgepodge, give us the 411 on something happening in your life in the next 30 days. This is the first thing that came to my mind -- Does anyone else remember dialing 411 for directory assistance? Back to the real question . . .Let's see - we will attend a birthday party for our sweet 5 year old (pictured above) and it is at an indoor play place and I'm going to wear double masks. My daughter and I are hosting a drive by baby shower for her friend, Brooke. We love Brooke as if she were our own daughter!! I am clueless how this is going to work but I know a lot of other people have been hosting drive by showers during covid and it has worked just fine. Also, I work in a church and Holy Week and Easter are quickly approaching. We are making plans (different than any other year) in order for as many people as possible to safely gather together and worship as the body of Christ. Ask me again in a week and I can give you LOTS of details.

6. Insert your own random thought here. As a church staff we've been trying to make as many connections as possible with people since everyone is not able to come back to worship together yet. I was able to run a report in our database and entered all of the streets in our neighborhood. I pulled the names and addresses of other Trinity folks and made a cute little care package that Mark and I dropped off on front porches. We included two Trinity face masks and a bag of microwave popcorn and a note that said we were "just popping in to introduce ourselves." If we already knew the family, we wrote a little note on there. Hey Neighbor is our "saying" for our church and we have t-shirts and face masks and other items with those words because Jesus said we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. Then the man asked him, "who is my neighbor?" and Jesus proceeded to tell the story we all know as "The Good Samaritan." Everyone is our neighbor so "HEY NEIGHBOR!





7 comments:

  1. Those 'Hey Neighbor' goodie bags are great! I'm chuckling about the Zoom frustrations -- on account my first experience, I turned my phone upside down --like when I take a selfie (to show me looking UP vs. down). Everyone busted out laughing and Pastor Janet exclaimed, "Myra, you're hanging upside down!" Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have several similarities in our answers this week. 1st, we both have adorable granddaughters. 2nd, I tend to overcook meat patties as well. 3rd, when I was teaching an adult SS class, I also poured over commentaries and also love Barclay. When we moved, we got rid of all our commentaries except the Barclay set because there is so much available online. My Dad started our set with his copy of Mark back in the early 70's. 4th, our church and Life Groups are putting a huge emphasis on being a neighbor where we live. Although our church is 100% open and masks are elective, hardly anyone wears one and we have thousands attending worship. No one in our Life Group of over 35 wears one either and we certainly do not do social distancing. Lots of meeting, greeting and hugging. We still, and I'm sure will continue, do zoom classes for those who can't get out. Enjoyed visiting with you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't reopened things like Sunday School which is like a life group. Glad y'all are still doing zoom for those who can't get out. I love the similarities!

      Delete
  3. Those little ones ARE adorable!! Fun answers and great pictures. Joyce gave us another fun Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Sunday School class is using Barclays book on the parables as an added resource for our study. I am enjoying his commentary but the font is teeny tiny : ) Have fun with your granddaughters! I can't wait until mine are within arms reach again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have laughed out loud about the font. Don't fonts seem to get smaller and smaller? It is not our eyes surely :-)

      Delete