Wednesday, March 10, 2021

10 Things to Love about Spring in Alabama

Today is the 10th of March and the prompt is "10 things to love about spring" and I added "in Alabama."

1. Fresh strawberries will be here soon! Our Alabama strawberries are smaller than the ones from Florida that we get in the grocery store and they are so sweet!



2. Speaking of berries . . .toward the end of Spring, it will be blueberry season in Alabama. Last year, Mark and I had been cooped up for months and we drove to a local blueberry farm and it was so wonderful to be outside. I, of course, got tired and hot much quicker than Mark did and he hasn't let me forget it.



3. Another wonderful thing about spring in Alabama is the plethora of Farmer's Markets. Several churches in our area host farmers in their parking lots so we can buy fresh tomatoes, corn on the cob, strawberries, peaches, fresh honey, fresh eggs, and other goodies. The one closest to my house opens in about a week.



4. Alabama is gorgeous in the spring. We have flowers and bushes and trees with blossoms. I have horrible allergies and I am thankful for allergy shots, Zyrtec, Singulair, two different nasal sprays and an inhaler (and an epi pen just in case). 





5. I may be wrong but our skies are some of the bluest you've ever seen in the spring with big, white, fluffy clouds.




6. I want to tell you that the temps in Alabama are perfect in the spring but the truth is that today the sky is blue and the sun is shining and there are fluffy clouds in the sky and the temp is in the 70's BUT I will NOT be surprised if we have another cold spell or two. The cold spells will only last a day or two and then nice weather will return. Even though our weather might change in a matter of hours, I still love the weather in the spring.

7. One of my favorite things about spring in Alabama is I can wear my flip flops. Those who know me well will say that I sometimes wear them year round and that is true but I stop feeling guilty about wearing them when spring arrives. 

8. During spring, we also have every shade of green imaginable. In our area of the state, we have lots of evergreens so we always have a little green year round but in the spring, we have pale green as leaves begin to pop out and every other shade of green, too. Twenty plus years ago I had lasix surgery on my eyes IN THE SPRING and the morning after my surgery, I walked to the kitchen window and was truly amazed at all of the different shades of green. I had been missing out!!

9. We have a few wonderful days in the spring where we don't have to run our air conditioner or heat. I get a notice from the power company telling me how much energy I use each day. We only used $2 worth yesterday because no heat nor air was needed! Yay! We could enjoy more days if I didn't have allergies. Some people throw open their doors and windows and allow the air to blow through . . .but just FYI, that air contains lots of pollen! achoo!

10. Once the trees finish pollinating (or as my friend's husband says for pollinating, "the trees are having sex"), we will be able to clean off the screen porch and sit outside and enjoy! Mark can do that now and he and the cat have been known to take a nap or two in a puddle of sunshine!


  

9 comments:

  1. Your spring follows ours here in Florida. I can pretty much say all the things you did by substituting Florida for Alabama. We are so lucky here in the South! I enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it already strawberry season where you live in Florida? I know y'all get them right before we do. We are indeed luck in the South!!!

      Delete
  2. We enjoy some of the same things during Springtime. Our Louisiana strawberry season is off to a good start, too. My Iris blooms are not quite as vibrant as yours but they are beauties after a long winter season. So happy we live in a southern climate. Happy Spring! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that the trees participate in the birds and bees. So funny! But that makes me sneeze sometimes, too. Flip flops, all the shades of green. Yes, yes, yes!!! Thank you so much for joining me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep coming back to your comment because it makes me laugh every single time!

      Delete
  4. Oh how I miss the dogwoods and azaleas and hydrangeas! We don't have the right kind of soil here. However, we do live in the Strawberry Capital of Texas - Poteet strawberries are famous and soooo good. We have some strawberry farmers in our church and there's a big strawberry festival every spring. The berries are a few weeks behind schedule this year because of the winter storm and there may not be quite as many. Even our original town water tower is shaped and painted like a strawberry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alabama spring does sound lovely...and looks just as pretty, too! Yes, those skies are beautiful!! Strawberry season already! Hard to believe...oh, and I do love the farm markets although it will be a bit before they begin around here. Happy spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are on the same schedule here in Atlanta. It's great to not have to use the heat or air for a bit! When we lived in Michigan I had a strawberry patch and the strawberries were smaller but so much flavor! Like the difference between home grown tomatoes and store bought ones. This year we had some farmers who brought produce in all year, winter produce of course. It's been great because I have so many trees in my yard I can't have a garden here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to Alabama. It's so fun reading about where other people live and what life, weather, etc. is like there. Here in Washington state, our blueberries aren't ready til July/August, and Strawberries are a June fruit

    ReplyDelete