Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Random Happenings

On New Year's Eve we met our friends at Bistro V for dinner. I LOVE shrimp and grits. These grits were so rich that I couldn't eat all of them!


Here we are at the restaurant! Our server was kind enough to snap a pic for us!


I loved the simple decorations - just festive enough!!


After dinner, we each headed to our own homes. We tried to stay up until midnight but at 10:30 we decided to go to bed.


We are still adding/replacing smaller furniture items. We need to move the canoe picture up a tad since we have a new table for the TV that is a tad taller.


Mark was out of town for Granddaughter #1's first basketball game. This year, the girls actually seem to know that a game is going on. It is amazing how quickly they grow.


The little boys are a grade ahead and they have also matured a lot. They are getting the hang of the game!


I've mentioned eating lunch at my mother-in-law's house every Sunday after church. She did the cooking for ALL of the years until a couple of years ago. I think she cooked for all of us until she was 96. We now take turns with different parts of lunch. For whatever week this was . . .I was in charge of twice baked potatoes and they were really good.


January is Generosity Month at our church. Our theme is "Cheerful" and our scripture is from 2 Corinthians. We have a Greek theme throughout the building - all blue and yellow.


I think this may be my favorite theme ever!


We went to our neighborhood supper club. We had salad and rice and asparagus and chicken and pork and angel biscuits. Someone made a carrot cake for dessert. We had a really nice time. It is so fun seeing how others have decorated their homes. Of course, it is really lovely to meet more neighbors!


Last week, we had a SNOW day. The northern part of our state had LOTS of snow and was shut down for days. We had light snow and light ice and everyone stayed home for a day. Actually, some stayed home longer because the schools were closed for two days . . .following being closed on Monday for MLK day. 


I dug my sewing machine out for the first time since the fire and it still works! I made some pillows with leftover fabric. I made three blue check and three velvet. They aren't perfect by any means. I did a better job on the blue check than on the velvet. It was so thick that it was hard to sew.



On the "snow" day, Mark made scones using a mix that one of our young adults gave us as a 
Christmas gift.


I failed to take a single picture, but we met friends (our out to eat supper club from church) at Seasons 52 last Thursday night. We both had their shrimp and grits! They are delicious. Mark had a really good Old-Fashioned and I had a Hawaiian Pineaapple Cosmopolitan. We were able to get to know some folks who are new to our Sunday School class so that is always a good thing.


Our new side table from Pottery Barn was finally delivered on Friday night. It was supposed to be delivered earlier in the week but due to LOTS of snow in North Alabama and the Memphis area, the shipment was delayed.

It was so cold over the weekend - we had lows in the teens. We are enjoying our fireplace so much!



Saturday morning we headed to another Hornets basketball game. This is our sweet granddaughter right in the middle of the screen. 


Saturday night we had an impromptu "invite our neighbors" to dinner. Lu and Dave have traveled with us and we have been together a lot. We literally had four steak burgers that Mark cooked on the grill in 15 degree weather! I was in charge of slaw and sweet potato fries which I BURNED!! Luckily, we had another bag in the freezer so Mark ran to the garage freezer and grabbed those. I apologized and was embarrassed, but heck . . .everyone burns something sometime, right? Am I alone?


I will be very surprised if anyone is still reading . . . I know it is a boring post but as you know, I often write just so I will remember. Actually, I have found that as I write, I'm also thankful. I'm thankful for our home and our family and our friends and our church and so many other things.

Today, we have a professional photographer at our house. Our builder is entering our renovation into the "Home Builders of Alabama Remodeling Excellence Awards" in the insurance category. We've been cleaning and stashing things!

We also have our long time supper club on Saturday night at our house so hopefully, it will still be clean!!

2 comments:

  1. That food looks fabulous! Love the photo of y'all too. Very nice.
    Pillows are so easy, aren't they?! I can't figure out why they're so costly in stores. Whenever I change colors or themes I simply recover my own. I've learned how to make those felt ones that tie on the sides. Super easy even with my arthritic hands.
    In our old house in Jacksonville, Florida we had a fireplace. This time of year I do miss that but I don't miss chopping wood nor cleaning after the fire. Might get one of those fireplaces that run off propane someday. Our All-house generator already is set up for that. It "should" be easy for the technician to tie into that. Hopefully. *lol*
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered why pillows are so expensive, too!! Our fireplace has gas logs and is hooked to our gas (same as our heat - not propane). We have an outdoor firepit that has propane. Both make a lovely fire!! We do not have a generator and there have been several times I've wished for one!

      Delete