Wednesday, January 17, 2024

BRRR - Hodgepodge!

I'm joining up with Joyce and friends for Wednesday Hodgepodge:


1. On January 18th we commemorate A.A. Milne's birthday. Milne is the author of the beloved classic Winnie the Pooh. In many ways Pooh represents innocence and simplicity. His optimism reminds us to appreciate the little things. What are three little things you're appreciating in mid-January? Just thinking about Winnie the Pooh made me think of Tigger, too! That thought made me smile! Three little things I'm appreciating -- 1. a warm hooded sweatshirt 2. a gas fireplace 3. FaceTime

2. Piglet teaches us even the smallest of individuals can achieve big things with the proper amount of determination. How do your current responsibilities make you feel? I'm not sure how to answer this question. I have responsibilities at home, at work, on Tuesday nights, and teaching adult Sunday School. The home responsibilities cover being a wife, mom, and Gran. The work responsibilities include LOTS of things. The young adults on Tuesday nights and Sunday morning teaching is a whole different thing. I feel happily busy. Is that a good enough answer?

3. Tigger is known for his enthusiasm and energy, his boundless joy and love of life. What's something you're interested in learning more about in this new year? My class this semester (and next) will be American Literature. I'll be learning lots (I hope!). 

4. Eeyore, while a melancholy character, teaches us the importance of resilience and perseverance. How do you stay motivated and persevere in difficult circumstances? It is hard to stay motivated and to persevere in difficult circumstances. My husband and his siblings have done a good job of persevering through their mother's care and aging. She is 98 and still lives in her home with 24 hour care. We are Christians so our faith plays a huge roll in our lives. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

5. What's the last thing you ate that was made with honey? A couple of weeks ago, I roasted some butternut squash cubes. I drizzled a little olive oil and salt and pepper on them before I roasted them. I took them out of the oven and drizzed just a little local honey over them and put them back in the oven for 5 more minutes. They were delicious!! Mark added honey to some plain Greek oatmeal night before last.

6. Insert your own random thought here. I'm actually typing these answers on Tuesday night. We had a weird snow day here today. I worked from home. We had our 10:00 a.m. meeting via Zoom. We had to cancel a major dinner on Monday night. We didn't get much snow at all but it is sooo cold!! We cancelled our young adult group for Tuesday night. I just heard that many schools will be closed again tomorrow. I imagine that sounds silly to folks who live where it snows all of the time in the winter.


16 comments:

  1. When my daughter taught in PA the kids brought all their snow gear to school every day for recess. She came from SC and was shocked to discover she had to help 24 2nd graders into boots and snow pants every day lol. I haven't tried honey on butternut squash, but a splash of maple syrup over top is yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine how long it would take to put snow gear on that many kids!!! I bet maple syrup would be good!

      Delete
  2. I imagine it's like when any part of Florida gets snow. We don't know what the heck we're doing. We didn't get any today and our last time was 1/1/17.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had snow flakes yesterday morning and we had some ice. School was out at the end of last week for one kind of bad weather and then has been out this week for another!

      Delete
  3. We cancelled our women's prayer time this morning because the roads can be treacherous during our snow times. It is snowing right now. I appreciated reading your answers. Happily busy is a great answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wondered if people cancelled gatherings due to snow in places that have snow often! Where you live, is there basically snow on the ground from now throught early spring?

      Delete
  4. Hi, the honey on the squash sounds delicious, I am going to try that. :-)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our area is NOT use to snow, ice and freezing temps and everyone rushes out like we're going to be housebound for 3 months and no one knows how to drive in it. Folks up North would find it very funny. Thanks for stopping by and happy rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thing in Birmingham, AL. Shelves are wiped clean of bread and milk before a sprinkling of snow.

      Delete
  6. Most of the posts I've read in the last few days center around the same theme: warmth. A cozy sweater, hot cup of tea, fire in the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your butternut squash treatment sounds wonderful! The Elmore County schools were all canceled Tuesday -- yet the day dawned dry and sunny. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alabama weather is crazy and quite often our responses to it are equally crazy!!

      Delete
  8. An American Literature class sounds like a very interesting opportunity to keep learning! Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like all your answers to #1, but because I have "warm fuzzies"...my version of hot flashes, I am keeping a cardigan handy. Easy to take on and off. Your class sounds interesting. What are going to school for? The butternut squash cubes sound good too. Yum! We've been hit with snow too.

    ReplyDelete