Wednesday, January 3, 2024

First Hodgepodge of 2024

 I'm joining up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for the first Hodgepodge of 2024.

1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2024-

hack, impact, at the end of the day, rizz, slay, iconic, cringe worthy, obsessed, side hustle, wait for it

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Are any of these a regular part of your speech? Is there a word not on the list that you'd like to add? 

I don’t really have a preference about what words should be removed. I do use hack, as in “I was hacked” or “My Facebook account was hacked.”

2. What do you wish you'd done more of last year? Less of? 

I answered a similar question the other day – my answer might vary! I always wish I had spent more time with our people – our family and friends. I think we may try to pre-plan a dinner gathering at least once a month and invite one or two couples. We need to have our older granddaughter spend the night ore often.

I wish I had spent less time criticizing others. I don’t mean to do so . . .I think I’m teaching them to do it the right way . . .which is my way. I need to do far less of that this year.

3. A place you'd like to visit in this new year? Do you think you will? 

Our October trip & cruise will be taking us to places we’ve not been before – Egypt and Greece and Istanbul.

4.What are three words to sum up or describe your 2023? 

Back at home!

5. What advice would you like to give yourself as we begin a new year? 

Love and listen more and talk and criticize less

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I haven’t really made any resolutions yet for the coming year but I may still come up with some goals. My devotion this morning was talking about having a word for the year. I’ve always thought that was a good idea but I’ve never come up with just the right word. (sorry – that was two different thoughts)

20 comments:

  1. The Cruise should prove interesting. You're so much braver than me. I would feel really outta place in those countries. There is a lot of history there, though. That would be fascinating to actually see instead of only read about. I pray y'all have a safe trip.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't start international travel until 2016 and I was in my later 50's. I'm always a little scared but I'm always so glad I went.

      Delete
  2. I'm so weird about resolutions; they seem like a thing the general populous likes to talk about but people don't follow through. So in that way, I agree with a goal. I think my goal this year is to be more patient and attentive to my children while also preparing them to be on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a word either, some years I do and others I don't. I like the focus a word gives me, but I also like it to land in my lap as opposed to me picking at random. Honestly I never get myself in gear until somewhere around the 9th or 10th so will give it some thought before then. Yay for being back home!! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wish I could come up with a really great word!

      Delete
  4. I started picking out a word in 2022. My word in 2022 was Sunshine. Last year my word was Truth. I am still thinking about my word for 2024.
    I am so excited to have you blog your trip!!! And the next thing you know it will be October. ;-)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. None of those words stand out to me. Then again, I can't think of anything better. I'm so envious of your cruise; what ship will you be aboard? My family took a short Grecian cruise in the mid-80's aboard the Oceanos (which a few years later burned and sank!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link. Brian Erickson is my boss and pastor and he is the main speaker for the trip! https://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/gc24100824e58709#eotours

      Delete
  6. 'Back at Home' that is something to be so thankful for. Now that trip in October sounds amazing! Those are countries I'll never make it to. Happy 2024 to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see more of the world. October seems a long way away but I know it will be here before I can blink!

      Delete
  7. I don't make resolutions anymore and haven't had a "word" for a few years now. Your up-coming trip sounds amazing!! I look forward to hearing all about it!! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link - we would love for you to go with us!
      https://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/gc24100824e58709#eotours

      Delete
  8. Your cruise sounds very interesting and exciting! What a great thing to look forward to. "back at home" = great description for your 2023! Hope 2024 is a great year for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope 2024 is a wonderful year for you, too!

      Delete
  9. Wow! what a fun cruise that will be. It's always fun to have a trip to look forward to. Ours will likely only be to see our daughter and family in Oklahoma, Hubby just not up for much travel. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Oklahoma. Being with your daughter will be fun!

      Delete
  10. Better late than never commenting. yikes. Thankfully I haven't been "hacked". Spending more time with our people for sure would make my list too. Oh, Greece is on our list to do. I enjoyed your asnwers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was late posting so late commenting is good, too!!

      Delete