Wednesday, January 31, 2024

High Five Hodgepodge

Thanks to Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for this week's questions!

1. January 29th is National Puzzle Day. Do you enjoy puzzles? What kind (crossword, jigsaw, sudoku, etc)?  How often do you work a puzzle? I have worked puzzles in the past but not in a good many years. When my mother-in-law was in her early 80’s, she loved them and would have them spread on a table and we could place a few pieces for her. The last puzzles I worked were Spidey puzzles at Christmas. Our younger granddaughter loves Spidey and we worked her new ones with her.

2. Something you currently find 'puzzling'?  I find people puzzling. You know? I just don’t understand some people and their behaviors.

3. What's your go-to dish to take to someone who needs a meal (new baby, bereavement, etc)? Since Covid, I have done a lot of take-outs rather than cook. If I cook, I usually make a chicken pot pie or a pork tenderloin or poppyseed chicken or homemade lasagna. I have also made Taco soup or Creamy Chicken Noodle soup for folks. Mark is in charge of dinner on Monday nights for his mother and her caregiver. He cooks pork tenderloin a lot because it is easy. I’m taking dinner to someone next week and I need to decide if I’m going to make something or buy something. I can’t wait to read everyone’s responses to this question. I might ask for some recipes!!

4. Do you watch any HGTV and/or The Food Network? If so, what's your favorite program there? We don’t have HGTV or The Food Network anymore and I miss it! We watch America’s Test Kitchen (Samsung TV) sometimes. We’ve also watched Luke Nguyen who is a Vietnamese-Australian chef. He has a series where he is traveling in India that is really good. Mark has enjoyed watching Andrew Zimmern and we both loved Anthony Bourdain.

5.  Wrap up your January in five words, with a five word phrase, or with a five word sentence. Cold, Warm, Rainy, Sunny, Finalizada!!

6. Insert your own random thought here. 





8 comments:

  1. My husband and I enjoyed watching Anthony Bourdain. Pork Tenderloin sounds so good but hubby cannot eat pork. We made soups for our kids when they all got Covid. Only one lost his taste but ate anyway. I am going to make some turkey soup on Thursday when rain comes in. What is taco soup? Does it have hamburger meat in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think soup is always a good choice. They can eat it or freeze easily and sometimes that's helpful. When my daughter had her first baby one friend brought two quiche and a tub of chicken salad from Costco. It was nice to have some breakfast and easy lunches too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think you will find the McCormicks pulled pork packet easy peasy. It calls for brown sugar, ketsup and apple cider vinegar as well and then just let it do it thing. So very good! I do a lot of soups as well and often take them to folks. Sure hope your husband does not lose sight permanently. Eyesight is a precious gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great read. I am about tired of cooking. Trying to commit to cooking Monday through Friday and then going on strike on Saturdays and Sundays. Would love to have your poppy seed chicken recipe. I have just begun having success at getting my husband to do jigsaw puzzles with me. We are enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha...yes, people are puzzling indeed. Covid gave us all some new trends in cooking and taking meals to people, etc. If we had a better variety of restaurants in our little town we'd eat out more. :) Happy last day of January!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fun Hodgepodge. Soup is a good option for #3. I agree about crazy people. Happy Thursday...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also said lasagna as my go-to. I don't often have opportunities to take a meal to someone anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your answers. Your meals sound good.

    ReplyDelete