Thursday, January 11, 2024

It's a Late Hodgepodge!

I'm joining up with Joyce for this week's Hodgepodge . . .but I'm running behind. I hope she will let me jump on late!

1. What's a change you'd like or need to make this year? I wonder how many times I've answered this question the same way. I would like to change my eating habits/exercise habits JUST enough (I already exercise and eat fairly healthy)to get to my goal weight this year. We have a family wedding in September and I would love to be at that weight by then.

2. Break the ice, on thin ice, ice skating, tip of the iceberg, ice cold...which icy idiom applies to your life right now? Explain. Ice Cold! Actually, today it is 64 BUT next week, it is supposed to be frigid here . . .in the teens. That is cold for Alabama!!

3. What's a project you've been putting off? Will you get to it this month? This year? We really need to clean out our attic. While the house was somewhat open to the elements, the attic was covered BUT the front wall of the attic was ripped out due to water damage and they sanded and hammered and did all of those building kinds of things and all of that dust went into the attic . . .on top of all of my decorations, pack and play, etc. I need a respirator, not just a mask. I don't know if we will get to it this year or not. Mark has carried out several bags . . .I don't even want to know what he threw away.

4. Of the fruits that grow well in winter which ones have you tried? Which is your favorite? 

pomegranates, clementines, persimmons, passion fruit, pears, grapefruit, lemons, pomelos, kumquats

I love a pomegranate margarita - yum yum! I enjoy clementines. I tried one persimmon and it was not a favorite. I don't know if I've ever had passion fruit! I love a good pear and I love grapefruit and lemons. Are pomelos sort of an orange? I think I've had one of those. I am not sure if I've ever had a kumquat!

5. What do you think it means to be courageous? Years ago, a friend (Polly) was dying of pancreatic cancer. She said something like this: Courage was not the absence of fear, but courage was facing fear head on. She was so brave and courageous. 

6. Insert your own random thought here. Our weather in Alabama can be so weird. We have a warm day . . .and then it rains . . .and we have tornadoes or strong winds . . .and then a cold front moves in and we bundle up.

11 comments:

  1. It's supposed to be pipe freezing weather here in SE Georgia next week. Must be the same artic blast y'all are getting first. Hope it all goes well for you.
    Cleaning out the attic is quite a job! We did that last year, in the Winter, of course. It is super hot up there in the Summer. I wouldn't even think about going up there. Also been getting rid of a lot of unneeded items, then moving most of what's left out into one of our outbuildings (we have lots of acreage). Going up there is getting to be treacherous at almost 70 years of age.
    Y'all stay safe! Praying that we all go through the storm without any problems. To God be the glory no matter what.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had lots of wind today but no severe weather here. We are supposed to have bitter cold weather next week.

      Delete
  2. Your #6 reminded me of a meme I saw on FB about Florida weather. The four seasons can all happen in a week, and that is sure true of this week. It was low 60s today and will be 80 tomorrow. Crazy. No wonder everyone is catching something nasty. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The really weird weather days are the ones where the high is early morning and all day the temps drop . . .sometimes there could be a 30 degree difference between morning and night.

      Delete
  3. Good luck on your weight loss goal this year, I hope you'll get to it by Sept.

    Wow, your weather sounds weird indeed. I don't think we've ever had that extreme a change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your friend Polly sounds like a remarkable lady; I recently lost a cousin to fast-moving pancreatic cancer. It frightens me so!
    Yep, we're presently bracing for severe weather in Coosada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope y'all weathered today's storm! It is still very windy here! I'm so sorry for your recent loss. Pancreatic cancer is frightening!!

      Delete
  5. Definitely not too late to answer! What do you think about Nick? We're in Dabo country so everyone is talking. It doesn't sound like it will be Dabo, we hope not! It is cold, dark, and rainy here so we're hunkering down tonite with a movie at home. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen tonight's news? They've already announced his replacement - definitely not Dabo! We are hunkered down at home tonight, too!

      Delete