Wednesday, March 2, 2022

We're back . . .with Hodgepodge

1. Somehow it's March? Is it coming in like a lion where you live? Tell us one fun thing on your March calendar. I cannot believe it is already March. How did that happen? The first day of March brought a high of 66 degrees with lots of sunshine. I think that means it came in like a lamb, right? One fun thing on our calendar is our oldest granddaughter's 6th birthday party! She is counting down the days. Our daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter #2 will be in town for the party so I'll get to see all of my "chickens." Nothing makes a momma happier!

2. In what way(s) do you 'march to the beat of your own drum'? This is a weird one but I guess that is marching to the beat of my own drum, right? A little over a year ago, I messed up something in my leg which caused the bottom of my heel to hurt. I started wearing sneakers (I really call them tennis shoes) all of the time and I've been wearing them to work -- even with skirts and casual dresses. I'm glad it is almost sandal season because I can go back to wearing my Vionics and my Fit Flops. I feel like a quirky old lady. I don't wear them with nicer dresses. I wore my nice booties to dinner last night. My feet are just horrible.

3. The Hodgepodge lands on Dr. Suess Day (March 2nd). Do you like eggs? How about ham? Share a favorite quote from one of his books. I like eggs but they don't always like me. I love ham - especially Honeybaked Ham! Our oldest granddaughter read Green Eggs and Ham to us on Sunday. It is a long book!! I had to google quotes to find the one I like. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

4. Have you read Little Women? How about Alice in Wonderland? Did you love them, like them, feel just eh about them? Why is this question in the Hodgepodge today? I've read both books but it has been a long time ago. I loved Little Women. I liked Alice in Wonderland. This question is in the Hodgepodge today because both have characters by the name of March!!

5. How do you meal plan? How often do you shop for groceries? One homemade meal that was on your menu last week or is on your menu this week? I prefer to meal plan at the end of one week for the next week. I usually make my lunches for the week on Sunday afternoon. I buy "big" groceries once a week but sometimes have to stop and pick up something during the week. Last night, I made pancakes and bacon and sausage and cheese grits for the young professionals. 

6. Insert your own random thought here. Yesterday was Fat Tuesday. Our chef at work cooked lunch for us and we had red beans and rice, gumbo, fresh collard greens from his garden, eggplant casserole, corn, and bread pudding with bourbon sauce. Last night, I made the menu mentioned in question #5 for Fat Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday) dinner. One of our friends made mini king cakes for the young adults and she included a mask for both of us.








8 comments:

  1. Green Eggs and Ham is a long book when a little one is reading it lol. My daughter also has a copy in French which is fun. I have foot woes too but the solution is for me to never wear flats, always something with an arch/heel. I love that, but lake life calls for flip flops so finding some with an arch isn't always easy. I am not a pancake eater. I made them with my grands last week which was messy fun : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wear flats so I understand! I see friends wearing cute ballet flat type shoes . . .not going to happen on these feet! I have lots of flip flops and they are all either vionic or FitFlops.

      Delete
  2. I own some Vionics too and think they really help. Those mini king cakes are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really have a chef at work? That's so cool! I don't recall ever having observed/celebrated Fat Tuesday. Anything having to do with Mardi Gras, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a chef and we know how lucky we are! We are in the United Methodist Church and we observe Lent. Today is Ash Wednesday so the night before, we usually serve pancakes. I think the original intent was to use up all of the sugar and several other ingredients in the house prior to Lent. We don't fast on Fridays or eat fish on Fridays. I think that is more Catholic than United Methodist.

      Delete
  4. Our oldest granddaughter has her 5th birthday this month so we both will be celebrating. Looks like a fun Mardi Gras celebration. Happy March to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about your feet. I've been having some sporadic foot issues and it is so annoying. I found that for one of my issue, wearing a wider toe box shoe has helped, but they're hard to find :( I'll have to look at those shoes. Love your quote. I usually plan the same way. Friday night or saturday morning for the next week then I shop saturday or sunday.

    ReplyDelete