Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Trotting Along with the Hodgepodge

Happy Wednesday! Since it is Wednesday, it is Hodgepodge! We are trotting along through May. How about you?

1. Did you watch the Kentucky Derby this past weekend? Have you ever been to a horse race? Ever ridden a horse? Did you enjoy it? Have you ever been to Kentucky? Do you like Bourbon? 

This is a great multi-part questions! I watched the end of the Kentucky Derby several times. That was so close. I have never been to a horse race before. I have ridden a horse several times and it was fun. I have driven through Kentucky. Mark's sister lived in Madison, Indiana and we went to visit them one time. Madison is on one side of the Ohio river and Kentucky is on the other side. There is a bridge over the water between the two. Mark loves bourbon. I don't. I bought a raffle ticket for him and the drawing is today and the prizes are all bourbon! I imagine we won't win because I've already been lucky one time and won a bottle of Pappy for him.

2.  What's something you wish you'd placed in a time capsule fifteen years ago?

I have no idea. 2009? Our kids were graduating from college that year so maybe just some memories!!

3. Are you adventurous? Elaborate. 

My husband would say I'm not. I think I am in some ways. I had never flown farther away than Hawaii or Nassau or St. Martin and in 2016, I flew to Israel for 10 days without Mark. I even went a second time without him. I feel like that was pretty dadgum adventurous. I was with other people both times but the first trip was a true learning experience. My boss nor I had been to Israel before. Luckily, we traveled with a great company and had a great tour guide. 

4. Something you want to make this year? It can be a new recipe, craft, diy project, a milestone you've set for yourself...anything at all. 

I've started making the patio cushions. I cut out the fabric on Sunday evening. They are only an inch thick so I don't have to make cording, etc. I will take two more classes this year - summer and fall and I hope to make more A's.

5. Cinco de Mayo was also celebrated this past weekend...do you like Mexican food? If so what's your favorite dish? Have you ever been to Mexico?  Margarita-yes or no?

This is my favorite question! I love Mexican food! I actually love rice and beans a LOT. I love a good cheese quesadilla. I love tacos. I love guacamole. I love queso and chips. I love Margaritas, yes, I do!! I have never been to Mexico. Los Valadores is a taco truck near our office and they are authentic. I got a chicken and cheese quesadilla from them about a week ago. Yum. Their tacos have meat, white crumbly Mexican cheese, and onions . . .maybe a sprig of cilantro. No lettuce, no tomatoes, no shredded cheese. They add two little cups of ON FIRE salsa - one is green and one is red. The green one is my favorite and I can only use a drop or two.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

We served Mexican food to our Tuesday night YA group this week -- tacos (8 pounds of ground beef), queso, black beans, shredded lettuce, chips, shredded chicken, shredded cheese, onions, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, jalapenos, cheese quesadillas made with pepper jack cheese, homemade guac. I told them that we were celebrating Siete de Mayo . . .

black beans in one slow cooker
and queso in the other

8 pounds of ground beef - they
ate all but a baggie full of
leftovers

homemade guac, shredded cheese,
chopped tomatoes, onions,
shredded lettuce, salsa,
sour cream, chips


17 comments:

  1. I think traveling on your own is adventurous. My hubs would love for me to win him a bottle of Pappy lol. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that I'm slow in responding this week! Mark would love for me to win another bottle :-)

      Delete
  2. We have hosted a couple times where I wanted to do a taco bar of some sort but we always cop out. I could totally do it, especially since I make a Mexican meal for the family about once a week anyway. It's definitely mt favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!!! All I can say is YUM!!! :-) I love Mexican food too.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Siete de Mayo looks fabulous! Mexican food for a group is always a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Mexican food is always a winner for a group or for just me :-)

      Delete
  5. Good for you travelling solo! I did that once (Italy) ... but once was enough.
    The sight of your taco bar is makes my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mexican food is always a great idea for a crowd. Love the siete de Mayo! Mexican food is always a treat for me. In fact we just got home from having lunch at the local Mexican joint in town. You won Pappy! That's quite the win. it's so expensive! I just know that because of a story about Pappy that I heard. Happy Hodgepodge to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite expensive so I was happy to win it! I LOVE Mexican food.

      Delete
  7. Now I want Mexican food!! I enjoyed your answers to this fun Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had some good Mexican food this week! I have had 3 taco salads since Tuesday night haha!

      Delete
  8. Your Guacamole looks really good. I don't use onion because those in my family don't like it. My family recipe includes potatoes and it taste really good. Your party sounds like a success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark nor I like raw onion either but for the guacamole, I dice it very fine. What is funny to me is that both of our kids LOVE raw onion yet neither of us do!

      Delete
  9. I love mexican food too!!! I could eat guac with a spoon.

    ReplyDelete