Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Hodgepodge might be a priority!

Thank you to Joyce for the questions. I was surprised she was able to come up with new questions while keeping all three grandchildren. Way to go, JoyceJoyce!!

1. Growing up, at what age did you think you'd become an adult? At what age did you actually become an adult? I’ve had a conversation about this VERY recently. On Tuesday, May 21, the YA small group that meets at our house was discussing Galatians 4. I shared with the group when Jewish boys move from being a boy to being a man. We talked about how in ancient Greece, a boy was under his mother’s care until age 7 and then, under his father’s care, and how he had his long hair cut off. One more example was under Roman law, a boy became a man between 14 and 17. Then I asked the group, “In our culture today, when do you think men and women become adults? I know it is different for different folks, but what age or event do you think about when you think of someone moving from childhood to adulthood?” Joyce – were you at our house last Tuesday night?? Just kidding. The young adults in our group range from 22-32 and we had some interesting responses. Some said you become an adult when you graduate from college. Someone else said you become an adult when you can pay your own bills. I wasn’t an adult yet, but after our mom died, I did have to cook dinner and learn to do laundry when I was not quite 16. Growing up, I assumed you were an adult as soon as you graduated from high school. I feel like I did. I started to work at South Central Bell the morning after I graduated from high school and my daddy had to sign a release form because I wasn’t quite 18. Looking back, I think becoming an adult was a more gradual process. Am I a fully grown adult now? Most of the time . . .but not always!

2.  What's a favorite item you've bought this year? I do love our new appliances but they were actually purchased before this year. I’m trying to think if we’ve made any truly major purchases this year. I could definitely do an Amazon Prime purchase list!! Mark ordered a self-winder for his watch yesterday.

3. May 28th is National Hamburger Day...are you a fan? If so, how do you like yours? When was the last time you had a hamburger? Besides the backyard grill, what's your favorite place to go for a burger? I LOVE a good hamburger. I actually just drove to Hero and picked up a burger and fries for my boss. His appointment arrived and he had ordered and didn’t have time to pick up. My whole care smelled like delicious French fries. We ate a “pretend hamburger” yesterday for lunch. It was a very lean 93/7 burger patty on a low carb bun. Our power was out and I quickly opened the fridge and grabbed a couple of condiments. I don’t think it really counted hahaha! I love a burger with lettuce, tomato, pickles, no raw onions but cooked onions are ok, mustard, ketchup, a little mayo, and a slice of cheese. More importantly, I want fries with my burger, please. Our son made smash burgers for us a while back and they were EXCELLENT. We rarely eat fast food, but I do enjoy a single with cheese from Wendy’s. I’m trying to think where we’ve eaten the best burgers.

4.  How have your priorities changed over time? My priorities at 65 lean more toward people than things; more toward experiences and travel than material goods. My faith has always been a priority (except for a couple of years many many years ago). My husband and I used to be involved in the Emmaus Community (3 day spiritual weekend). Each weekend has multiple talks given by both clergy and lay people. The first talk of each weekend is entitled “Priority.” You quite often need your priorities in order to move forward and grow.

5. What's one thing on your June calendar you're really looking forward to? We are going to see a play on Thursday night. We will have supper club at our house at the end of the month. We are going to help our daughter with her two daughters at the end of next week.

6. Insert your own random thought here. Now I want a hamburger. I’m not even hungry and I want a hamburger hahaha! My truly random thought is: our power was out for 12 hours on Monday due to a storm that blew through around 5:00 a.m. Monday morning. Just in case you were wondering, I do still have PTSD when we have major thunder and lightning which makes me sad because pre-fire, I loved a good thunderstorm. I didn’t cry yesterday when it was storming which was good. Yes, I saw a counselor about this for a whole year and yes, she was very helpful. The real random thought is that we are so spoiled. We didn’t have air conditioning nor internet due to this power outage. We were very inconvenienced BUT we were safe. See . . .I’m spoiled and I know it but I do know what is important (priorities)!

8 comments:

  1. Nothing like the power going out to remind us of how truly spoiled we are, although no ac in the heat is no joke! I do think there's a wide range of ages when children become adults. Some never get there and some move into adulthood because circumstances dictate that. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, spoiled with electricity... I know what you mean. ;-) I am so thankful for it and you gave me a good reminder to be just that!

    I was hungry for a burger too, after writing my Hodgepodge.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post. Yours was the second reference to smash burgers, I had to look them up, had not heard of that term before. Lots of interesting perspectives on when we think we became an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My siblings in the Dallas area were in that storm's path. Glad you only had a power outage but I'm still sorry for everyone that was affected by the storm. The huge tree in my brother's front yard cracked and a large part of it landed on his roof. Thankfully he only has rain gutter damage. I enjoyed the discussion your had with your group about 'becoming an adult'. Hope you will continue feeling fine after this latest storm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We answered #4 the same. Another fun Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting the different perspectives on what it takes to be considered an adult. Sorry about the power outage and stress it caused you, but glad you were safe and that you didn't cry! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had my In and Out hamburger yesterday and it was great! I agree with priorities changing as we get older. Sorry about the storms causing you PTSD. It must have been a very scary and stressful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your answers. As I read about the young adults it made me miss times when we had youth and young adults at our home. I'm so sorry about the PTSD. I too wanted a good hamburger after answering the questions.

    ReplyDelete