Wednesday, May 10, 2023

I'm NOT the Queen of the Hodgepodge

 I'm joining up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond, along with our other friends, for Wednesday Hodgepodge.

1. Did you watch the coronation of King Charles III? Share some of your thoughts about that, or about the royal family in general. The TV was on while the coronation was happening. I would glance at it every once in a while. I’m not into royalty that much. My husband thinks all the hoopla is crazy!

2. What are you the uncrowned queen of? For a while I was the Grand Poobah of Shelby. Shelby is our database at work. I think Grand Poobah outranks Queen :-). I’m not sure I’m the queen of anything these days.

3. In a box of chocolates which one do you usually go for? I’m going to choose the one with nuts or the dark chocolate with coconut (except I don’t eat those anymore).

4. Something learned at your mother's knee? Just thinking about my mother’s knee makes me think of Saturday nights, Lawrence Welk, prickly legs, and pink sponge hair curlers. Every Saturday night during Lawrence Welk, my mother rolled my hair and I sat between her prickly legs. My mom died when I was a Sophomore in high school so I have a hard time remembering things I learned from her. She fought her battle with cancer with grace. She taught us to go to church. She taught us to hold our heads high.

5. 'Like mother, like daughter'...in what way is this saying true for you? When I was younger, I evidently looked just like her. I was about 25 years old when my dad died. One of my uncles came up to me and said, “has anyone ever told you that you look just like your momma?” One of my other uncles would always whisper in my ear, “you look just like your momma.” Since she died right after her 50th birthday, I have no idea what she would have looked like at 64 so I don’t know if I still look like her or not.

6. Insert your own random thought here. Please pray for my brother-in-law Bill and his wife, Rebecca. Bill is 66 years old and has had Parkinson’s for 20+ years. He has been sick since Christmas and has been in and out of the hospital and rehab over the last few weeks. We finally received a diagnosis this week and it is not what we wanted to hear.

This is my favorite picture
of Bill - triumphant!

George, Mark, Bill - quite a few years ago
probably at least 20 years ago

Christmas morning 2022


Here we all are on Christmas
morning - Mark is kneeling by their
momma. Doesn't she look amazing
for 97 1/2 years old? Second row left
to right - me (Lisa); sister-in-law Susie,
sister-in-law Rebecca (Bill's wife)
Back row left to right
Sister-in-law Alice who is married to George, who
is Mark's identical twin brother,
Bob married to Susie (Mark's sister)
and Bill


14 comments:

  1. First, prayers lifting for Bill (and Susie, of course). Love the reference to your mom's prickly legs! I hadn't thought about that forever -- but one of my favorite memories was sitting on the floor of our old Ford rubbing my hands up and down her stockinged legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. Such a cruel disease. I hope you have a nice Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying as I type for your brother-in-law and his latest bad news. You lost your folks young. Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have answered #4 the exact same way. How funny! Lawrence Welk and pink sponge rollers on Sat. night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I remember those Saturday nights well!

      Delete
  5. Prayers for your brother-in-law and the family. I also remember watching Lawrence Welk with my parents! Mom very often did my hair, but we gave up on the pink sponge rollers - they did not work on my hair! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your brother in law Bill. My prayers and thoughts for Bill and his family. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers!

      Delete
  7. Hi,Sending hugs and prayers.
    Golly, you lost your parents at a young age. I enjoyed reading your memories.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the hugs and prayers! They moved my brother-in-law home on hospice yesterday.

      Delete