Wednesday, May 24, 2023

It is Wednesday . . . Must be Hodgepodge!

I'm joining up with Joyce and friends for this week's Hodgepodge.

 1. May 24th is National Brother's Day. Do you have a brother? Older or younger? Did you raise brothers? Tell us something about your brother or tell us something about your own children who are brothers.

There were three girls in our family - no brothers. I have 3 brother-in-laws on Mark's side of the family. Mark is an identical twin so one of those brothers-in-law looks just like my husband! People mistake them for each other quite often. When we were dating, Mark had a mustache and George didn't so I always thought M for mustache for Mark!! Brother-in-law #2 is Bill and he is the one who is so sick. Brother-in-law #3 is the husband of Mark's sister. George and Bill are both older than me but Bob is a couple of years younger. Mark and I have fraternal twins - a boy and a girl - so we raised a sister who has a brother! That sounds like "who's on first"!! Glenn and Laura have a special bond. One of their middle school teachers gave us the best compliment. She said that she had taught many twins over the years, but Laura and Glenn seemed to care about each other more than any other set of twins she had ever taught!

2. A great book you've read or movie you enjoy that features brothers? I remember reading The Hardy Boys! I've always loved mysteries!! The Sound of Music features both brothers and sisters!!

3. Something you think is overrated? Something you think is underrated? I don't have a good answer for either of these questions.I can't wait to read everyone else's answers.

4. How much does your past shape you? What parts have shaped you the most? My past has made me who I am. I've had some crazy bumps and hills and valleys along the way but I am who I am because of those things. I think the love of others has shaped me the most. 

5. What's your favorite simple pleasure? Let's see . . .how about drinking a very cold diet pepsi while sitting in a comfy chair in a patch of sunshine with a breeze blowing? Or even better -- how about the hug of a granddaughter?? That one is really good!!

6. Insert your own random thought here. I thought about writing a whole post about this statement from Rick Warren:  "We're challenging the ruling on behalf of millions of SBC women whose God-given spiritual gifts and leadership skills are being wasted instead of empowered for the Great Commission. We cannot finish the task Jesus gave us with 50% of the church forced to sit on the bench. Great Commission Baptists believe Jesus authorized every woman to go, to make disciples, to baptize and to teach - just as he authorized every man." When I read that quote last week, I cried and I cheered. I cried because I think God called me to be a preacher but in my home church, which was a SBC, a female minister was not a possibility. God has ended up using me in all sorts of amazing ways because God is God. I cheered because I'm cheering for Rick Warren and for what he is trying to do. (p.s. I know you may or may not agree with me and that is ok)


14 comments:

  1. I think we all have agreed that our past has shaped who we are today.
    I have a sister-in-law who is a "preacher" in Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two of the most influential women I've known are pastors -- at Unity of Clearwater (Florida) and here at Robinson Springs, formerly known as 'United Methodist Church.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing!! I've met some pretty amazing female pastors, too.

      Delete
  3. A big yes to the hug of a granddaughter. I have 6 and they all give the best hugs, but it's hard to compete with that big grandson's bear hugs. But who's competing; they're all the best. We were members of a SBC church that had women deacons and ordained women ministers, so there are some around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing! Thanks for sharing about the SBC and women!!

      Delete
  4. Yes to the hug of a granddaughter (and grandson!). Another fun Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandchildren bring the joy for sure! I don't think I knew your kids were twins. And I can't believe I didn't think of The Sound of Music...one of my favorites movies! Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm married to an identical twin and we have fraternal twins!

      Delete
  6. Oh yes...those hugs from grandchildren are amazing! Sounds like you have some wonderful brothers-in-law. I didn't think of the Sound of Music but that's a great one. Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been blessed with great brothers-in-law!

      Delete
  7. I love the story you share in answering question #1! It made me smile.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your answers...Why did I not think of the Hardy boys!! I loved those books.

    ReplyDelete