Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Fidgeting along the way hodgepodge

Join us with us for the weekly Hodgepodge. Joyce provides the questions and we answer! What say you?

What's something you wish you'd figured out sooner? I have talked about this on another post, but I wish I had known that I am enough. Some days I still struggle with this, but I keep reminding myself that I am enough.

Something from childhood you still enjoy today? I still love hanging out with friends! I still love “dressing” (not stuffing but dressing) which has been one of my favorite foods for a long time.

Are you a fidgeter? What's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word fidget? I come from a long line of fidgeter. As I’m typing this, my legs are jiggling under my desk. My sister, daughter, and one granddaughter are hair twiddlers. Both of our kids and I jiggle our legs. I have been sitting on a church pew with them and it felt like we were about to take off! All of those things come to mind when I think of fidget PLUS now, I think of those little fidget gadgets we give to kids. I wonder if I wouldn’t wiggle so much if I had one of those?? We even have similar fidget toys available for kids during worship each week.

Your favorite fall vegetable? How do you like it prepared? I love butternut squash. I like it cubed, seasoned, with olive oil roasted in the oven. I REALLY like it the way we serve it for big meals at my mother-in-law’s house. We mash it and put sugar and eggs and milk in it and bake it in the oven and then top with pecans or marshmallows. I don’t eat much sugar anymore, so I don’t fix it this way at home, but it is soooo good! It is similar to a sweet potato casserole, but it isn’t so starchy, and it is a much lighter dish.

Butternut squash (we usually call
it pumpkin casserole)

What's something you find mildly annoying, but not annoying enough to actually do anything about? Might you now? I’m hyper aware of this right now, but I hate sniffing. Especially the gross kind of sniffling – I won’t go into details. Someone sitting near my in staff chapel today kept sniffing and about every third sniffle, it was one of those gross ones. I don’t think I can do anything about it.

Insert your own random thought here.  We have our first hint of cold weather here in Alabama. Today’s weather is more like January. It will be below freezing tonight, and I don’t think it is getting out of the 50’s during the day today. The good news is fall isn’t over and warmer temperatures will return. I would have a very hard time living in a place where cold weather has already set in and will be there to stay until spring thaw.

 

13 comments:

  1. Its chilly here this morning too, but I love how clear these October days are. My hubs is a leg jiggler too. I'm more restless than fidgety, but only if I have to sit still for too long. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitting still in church is a killer for me!

      Delete
  2. Same here - cold! And yes, the gross sniffling drives me up a wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is still chilly here in Alabama but it is warming up.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, freezing temps already! We've had in the upper 40s the past few days in the mornings but it warms up in the day. Thankful for those cooler temps!
    Those popper toys are so popular. I don't really get the love of them. I did see it a pop it book and thought that was pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is cold here, too. I wish I had one of those fidget gadgets when I am stressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my sniffling and how about clicking a pen incessantly. We are a little late with freezing temps but they are in the forecast so time to disconnect the hoses! Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes - clicking a pen incessantly -- annoying!

      Delete
  6. Ha, I am still laughing on how you wrote about fidgeting. Very creative in your writing and I can see the take off. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I stepped away from blogging I had forgotten about Hodgepodge . So enjoyed that link up. Need to try to join in the fun next week.

    I am a grand fidgeter from a long line of the same, too. Try as I might to stop or to relax, I can't!! I don't even realize what I am doing half the time. Can crawl into bed with my hands in fists and my teeth clinched and wonder why I can't fall asleep. Grrr. Not sure the fidgeting gadgets would help me...it would just give me another thing to fidget with. Laughed at you guys about ready to take off from the church pew. My father jiggled his legs every moment of his adult life. No wonder he was thin!!

    That casserole looks scrumptious. My mama made something similar with pumpkin and pecans and I want to say carrots or pineapple? Hmmm, I can't remember but it was delicious. Would love to find her recipe. Thanks for reminding me.

    Below freezing? Oh, dear. Too early for that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yum - pumpkin, pecans, carrots, and pineapple all sound good together!!

      Delete