Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Memorial Day Weekend in Review

Our weekend was pretty quiet! As always, we are thankful for those who gave their lives for our freedom.

We did some "porch sittin'" -- the weather was spectacular this weekend.


Our hibiscus blossoms are as large as dinner plates - they are spectacular!


In our yard, we have Sweet Bay Magnolias which have much smaller leaves and branches than a regular magnolia. This is in a neighbor's yard and the Magnolia blossoms are even bigger than the hibiscus blossoms!


We went on lots of walks over the weekend. We are building up for our trip to Italy and Germany!


I ate my first Chilton County peach on Saturday and it was DELICIOUS! I love fresh fruit!


Normally, I wouldn't consider buying gas an event . . .but it was $4.29 a gallon and the very next day, it was $4.49 a gallon! I know that when we have traveled out of the US, the gas is often $7 a gallon (converts to that from liters) so I guess we are just spoiled.


On Saturday afternoon, our daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter #2 arrived. They had spent the day at the lake with our son and his family. The SEC baseball tournament was happening at The Met which is less than 4 miles from house so our son-in-law went to meet a friend to watch a baseball game. Mark was staying with his mom from 2:00 on Saturday until 2:00 on Sunday, so the "girls" went for a long golf cart ride. Mark brought some catfish food home from the farm and we keep a baggie in the golf cart. We enjoyed feeding the fish in the neighborhood pond.



I had to work from 7:45-11:15 on Sunday morning (remember I work at a church) and after that, we ate at my mother-in-law's house. We try to get the girls over to visit with her as often as possible. My mother-in-law will be 97 in July. I failed to get a picture of  her with granddaughter #2.

After a short nap, we put on our swimsuits and took the golf cart down to the neighborhood pool. It is only two blocks from the house but the walk home is uphill and after swimming, little legs (and ours, too) would be tired.


What is it about swimming that DEMANDS a snack? I remember our kids always needing a snack at the pool. In the picture below, she looks so much like her momma to me . . . as a matter of fact, she looked like her momma all weekend.


She jumped . . .and jumped . . .and jumped . . .jumped . . .and jumped off the side.


The weather was once again just spectacular!


Monday morning was great. When granddaughter #2 went to bed on Sunday night, we told her that both Gran and Pops would be here when she woke up. It worried her greatly that Pops wasn't here on Saturday when she arrived or on Sunday morning when she awakened. She said, "I need to hug Pops"!

Monday brought the smell of bacon cooking! I try to cook breakfast for them when they are here. I also made pancakes but have no photos!


After breakfast, there was some Barbie pretend time. Pops is still rated the best Barbie player ever. He invents stories and dialogue as they go along. He was trying to teach her how to be the voice of one of the Barbies. I was standing on the stairs sneaking a photo between the stair rails. 


They wanted to get an early start so they could get home before her nap time but we had to go to the park for one quick playtime. She was turning around telling me to come, too (which I was).


I love the photo below! Joy!

I am thankful!

9 comments:

  1. What a fun weekend you all had!! That magnolia is gorgeous! Your little one is adorable!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magnolias have been exceptionally beautiful this year!

      Delete
  2. Your grandgirl is growing so quickly... adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting! One day I responded to all of the comments on my own blog as anonymous! Silly me!

      Delete