Wednesday, May 4, 2022

May Day Hodgepodge

Today is Wednesday so it must be time for a hodgepodge! Thanks to Joyce for sending the questions every week. Feel free to copy and paste the questions into your blog and link up here or please feel free to answer in the comments.


1. May Day! May Day!...last time you shouted for help? Or maybe just asked? I hate asking for help. Really. I enjoy doing things for others but have such a hard time asking. I think it is fear of rejection. Our cleaning lady had major knee surgery about 6 weeks ago and I've had to depend on my hubby to clean our house (which is sort of asking for help). I'm still working full time plus I was taking a class this semester and I really needed his help. He has tried really hard!!

2. What's something you may do this month? We may invite friends over!

3.  'April showers bring May flowers'...is this true where you live? What's blooming? What's your favorite springtime blossom? We live in Alabama and EVERYTHING is so green! We do have some azaleas blooming in our courtyard. Our hibiscus plants have amazing blooms. I hope we will have hydrangea blooms soon!

Azaleas in the courtyard

Sunday afternoon porch sitting
with lots of flowers

hibiscus on the porch

hydrangea from last year

4. What's something you learned at your mother's knee? My mom died when I was 15 so I don't remember a lot of things. When I read the phrase "at your mother's knee" . . .I do remember on Saturday nights sitting between my mother's prickly legs while she rolled my hair on sponge rollers. While I was sitting there, she and my daddy were watching Lawrence Welk. Oh my goodness! I hadn't thought of that memory in a long time!


5. Share a thought about motherhood. Motherhood is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I have friends who seem to be natural born mothers and I always thought they were probably doing everything right and I was doing it wrong. I think my daughter is an incredible mother and I'm so proud of her. Our daughter-in-law is a good mom, too. I think they are both much better moms that I was.



6. Insert your own random thought here. This was in front of me on the way to work on Tuesday. First, he would rest his head there. Then he would turn around and his tail would hang over the edge. It was quite entertaining!



15 comments:

  1. Such great photos. Your front porch is lovely. I hope you have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only hope my kids turn out to be parents than I am/was but I think everyone probably second-guesses their abilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second guess myself on just about everything :-)

      Delete
  3. I think we moms judge our parenting skills more harshly than our children do. They don't expect perfection and forget our mistakes more easily than we seem to be able to do. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are right! My mother-in-law used to tell me that as a parent I could make some mistakes AS LONG AS my children always knew how much I loved them.

      Delete
  4. Gosh, Lisa! Your mention of your mother's 'prickly legs' just unleashed memories I'd totally forgotten! My mother always wore silk stockings and I'd love running my hands over her own prickly legs. Maybe like a little child would do her comfort blanket? Lawrence Welk was appointment TV in our home, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago, I saw a brief video from an old Lawrence Welk show - oh my goodness . . .how did they watch it? hahaha!

      Delete
  5. Didn't we all love Lawrence Welk back in the day?! I sure did! I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember loving Lawrence Welk but my mother sure did!

      Delete
  6. Your May Day hodge podge was fun to read. I love your porch. What do I have blooming on mine? Here in Delhi a Hibiscus, and some football lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am bad at asking for help too. I love your porch. so cozy. I liked your memory about your mom. I chuckled at the prickly legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment on the porch. Yesterday, Mark cleaned all of the wicker. Now we have to take the pillow covers off and wash out the pollen. Pollen in Alabama is HEAVY!

      Delete
  8. I feel so sad when some feminists undervalue motherhood as it might involve giving up some part or the whole of one's career. The two are not on a par. I can understand if one has to choose career over motherhood because of financial exigencies. But if one can afford, motherhood should take prime of place because what a mom can give a child and by extension the family is unique, something no one else can.

    ReplyDelete