Thursday, May 27, 2021

All Around the House - Loft Edition



I have no idea what has been wrong with Blogger but I couldn't write my post because I kept getting error messages about not loading pictures! So frustrating!! Finally, it is working again!!

I love our loft space. It is a nice "extra" living space and it has worked well as a place for us to keep toys and for the granddaughters to play. My recumbent bike is in this space, too, so I use it every single day!

When you come up to the top of our stairs, you enter a wide open space. The picture below is actually from the other side of the stairwell.


We purchased the little camel back sofa and wing chairs after we bought our first house. They are quality pieces of furniture so we've had them recovered many times in 37 years of marriage. I knew that we were going to use them in this bright space so I picked fun fabrics. I love that these "old fancy" pieces of furniture are covered in whimsical fabric.



The space is actually a "U" shape because there is a hall on each side. We have several antiques in the room which were purchased at family/friends estate sales. The little desk above is one of those pieces as is the little bookcase.



I want to buy some big metal garden gates to hang on the wall of the stairwell but I have NO IDEA how you would hang them. The sofa is covered in yellow, the club chair is covered in denim.


The  little cabinet at the end of the sofa and the chest under the TV both came from Southeastern Salvage. The lamp on the cabinet was shiny brass (which wasn't in style when we bought the house 7 years ago) and I spray painted it.


Our cat loves the footstool above and I'm continually using the lint roller on it!


The barrister's bookcase above is a piece we both love. It sits right at the top of the stairs. It was in Mark's office until just recently. We have an assortment  of books, pictures, and a couple of pieces of old china inside. At the top of the stairs if you turn right you and in the loft space. If you turn left, you are in the hall below.


The hall leads into the actual guest room.


One one wall we have pictures from our daughter's wedding. I need to print some like those from our son's wedding.


On the other side of the hall, we have a gallery wall of family and friends.

If you walk back through the loft area, there is a door that leads out to the top front porch. If you walk through the loft, there is a small hall on the other side that leads to the other two guest rooms.

I love how the sun shines into this room. Back at the beginning of the pandemic, I set up a table in front of the door to the porch and made my office in this space. I think all of those windows helped save my sanity. The room is comfy and colorful. Of course, I can't sit on any of the furniture because I'm allergic to cats (yes, we have a cat) and I can't sit on the upholstered furniture where he has been. We've played Barbies and colored and read books with the granddaughters in this room.

Do you have an alternate living space - another place to hang out? Do you have a room that is flooded with sunshine?




 

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Love that camelback sofa, Lisa! Buttercream is my favorite shade. I once lived in an apartment with what they called a 'bonus' space (eg, loft). Unfortunately, it was little more than a repository for excess 'stuff.' Yours is a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had trouble with photos yesterday, too. I finally copied and pasted them in. Glad it is working again! Your loft space is lovely and I know you all enjoy using it. It looks comfy and bright! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. The photos not loading was definitely frustrating!!

      Delete
  4. The area looks very comfy and cozy!! We don't have any rooms flooded with sunshine. Perhaps that's because we live in a desert and the architects plan it that way?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in the deep south and our air conditioner runs 8 or 9 months a year. We do have the plantation shutters and when we close them against the sunshine, it does drop the temp significantly. I actually have a fan blowing on me when I'm on the treadmill. I imagine in the desert, it is even hotter than Alabama!!

      Delete
  5. This looks like a lovely room. We have an attached studio that we connected to the house. We use it as a family type room. Our house is a passive solar house with a berm against the back and in the summer the sun is above the windows so we stay cooler than most homes. Plus our lot is very wooded.

    ReplyDelete