Wednesday, May 26, 2021

That's A Fact Jack Hodgepodge

 From this Side of the Pond

Join us as we answer the questions Joyce has written for us and link up at From This Side of the Pond.

 


1. We're approaching Memorial Day Weekend in the US of A...will you mark this in some way? If so tell us how. According to a list found here some things you might do in honor of Memorial Day would be-shop in a Veteran owned business, learn to play a patriotic song, watch the Memorial Day concert, take a virtual tour of the White House, write a letter to a soldier or a soldier's family, fly a flag, attend a Memorial Day parade, donate flowers for a soldier's grave, put together a care package for a soldier, and take a moment of silence at 3 PM (the National Moment of Remembrance)....of the ideas mentioned are there any you will try? 

We fly a flag from our front porch as do many of the residents in our neighborhood. I hadn't planned to do anything else but I love some of your ideas!


2. What's something recently that made you 'come to attention'? 

I think the past 15 months have made us all "come to attention" in lots of ways - it has made me realize some of the things that are really important to me such as interaction with other people. . .especially people I love.

3. In what area of your life do you need to 'soldier on'? 

Weight Watchers - plain and simple. This is going to be a life long journey for me. I've lost a lot of weight and still have weight to go in order for my BMI to be in the healthy range. I'm soldiering on with my exercise, too - every single day for 417 straight days.

4. As a long weekend approaches and summer draws near, what's a favorite food from your childhood you think about adding to the menu? 

Hotdogs cooked on the grill - we actually didn't own a grill when I was growing up but we did eat hotdogs. I love a good picnic with hotdogs, baked beans, and potato salad. We always ate tomato sandwiches when I was growing up and I love those. We had a peach tree in the backyard and ate peaches straight from the tree with the juice running down our chins. I remember eating ice cold watermelon, too! I think I'll have some of all of those this summer!

5. Your favorite patriotic movie? 

I'm going in a totally different direction with this one . . .please don't yell at me. When I read this question, I immediately thought of the movie, "Stripes." I'm almost positive no one else will have this same answer. I truly love the scene toward the end of the movie where they do their formation. It is awesome. Bill Murray stars in this movie. I was just talking about this movie to Mark and he is now quoting lines such as, "That's a fact, Jack." I'm sure there are some things in this movie that I wouldn't agree with if I watched it today but I have fond memories of watching it.


6. Insert your own random thought here. 

We had friends over for dinner on Saturday night and I made a giant charcuterie board . . .actually, I sort of made a charcuterie island! One friend brought marinated shrimp to add to the menu and our other friend brought dessert. We talked and grazed around the island and then we went for a golf cart ride (girls) and then we sat on our porch and in our courtyard and talked and talked. It was a perfect evening EXCEPT we missed the other two couples who would normally be with us.




yes . . .that is a yellow paper cup
cut to size for mustard -- sometimes
you improvise



yes, this is yellow paper cup #2 with
dijon mustard . . .like I said, sometimes
you improvise. Our friends are
good friends and they didn't mind!



22 comments:

  1. Your Sat. night sounds absolutely wonderful!
    Stripes...OMG!!! I haven't thought about that movie in a looooong time! I may have to watch it over the weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think I may have to watch Stripes this weekend, too!!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea for entertaining friends and you have the perfect space for it. Sounds like you had a great evening, "And that's a fact Jack!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have so much fun - just being together!

      Delete
  3. Love your charcuterie island. We do things like that often in the summertime instead of cooking, even when it's just me and hubs. Glad you enjoyed some time with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love charcuterie. So much fun. I'm dreaming of getting some charcuterie boards. Another gal I follow (reluctant entertainer) blogs about them and has just come out with her own boards but they're a bit out of my budget. Still, they are fun to see what she puts together. Great job on your exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to check out her boards!! My husband cut the round tree circles for me and washed and sealed them. I think the biggest wooden board was from Target and was fairly reasonable. I've had the other wooden pieces for years.

      Delete
  5. We love Stripes!! "AAARRRRMY training, sir!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband was walking around the house quoting that, too!!

      Delete
  6. Would you believe, I've never watched Stripes?!
    Now I'm thinking it necessary to learn the art of a charcuterie board. Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly love charcuterie boards and usually do it as an appetizer but it ended up perfect for six of us. Hubby took the leftovers with him to the farm to snack on!

      Delete
  7. Wow, your charcuterie island looks fantastic! I am bringing a board to a friend's house tomorrow night and think I need to step up my game lol. Hubs and I have eaten tomato sandwiches for the past couple of days. We bought fresh tomatoes at a local market and they were so good. I love summer fruits and vegetables. Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the turkish figs and dates were so good! Actually, it was all good.

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh! I haven't thought of Stripes in years. I LOVED that movie. Now I need to look it up and watch it again!! What fun! Great idea to use the paper cups for the condiments! Your island looks like the place to graze and graze and graze! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love our island and use it all of the time! I think I'll watch Stripes this weekend!

      Delete
  9. Lisa,

    Mmm, I love fresh peaches! It's been years since I've had them. We got some at the Grainger County fair northeast of us several years ago and they were soooo delicious. I could've eaten a bushel of them but I only bought four. I wasn't sure if they'd be good. Imagine how sad I was to find out they were delicious. *sigh* I love fresh fruit but don't buy it enough because there's just the two of us and DH isn't big into fruit unless it's in a pie. lol Bill Murray was so funny in Stripes. The 80s was his decade to shine on the big screen. :) Have a good holiday weekend! Oh yeah, that food island looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are ever in Clanton, Alabama . . the peaches are delicious. We live an hour away but a lot of local farm stands get their peaches from Clanton. We buy them by the basket. I love fresh fruit and so does my husband. Probably 1/4 of our grocery budget is spent on fresh fruit.

      Delete
  10. I love the look of Charcuterie boards and the idea of them but have never tried my hand at it. And, I have a gorgeous board that was given to me as a gift. Yours sure look impressive! Have a great MD weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really easy. I usually just start with a slightly diagonal row of something in the middle and then work out on either side. Experiment and have fun!

      Delete
  11. Wow, you have a great streak for exercising! WTG!! I do 5 days a week, could not do it daily (40 minutes on the treadmill). Yummy with the charcuterie boards! Glad you got together with friends and had a great time!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go -- 5 days a week for 40 minutes is great! It has been a tad harder since the world is returning to normal. It was easy to get in at least an hour of exercise when we had no social activities due to covid. Now I have to do 30 minutes early before work and 30 minutes after work.

      Delete