Sunday, November 6, 2022

Sunday Stealing

Thanks to Bev at Sunday Stealing for our questions. She finds the questions. We post our responses and then link back up together. I love reading everyone's answers and commenting back and forth with folks!! Just FYI, she stole the questions this week from League of Extraordinary Penpals.

1.    Have you ever written to a celebrity?  Did they respond? I wrote to the President requesting a 90th birthday card for someone and they did send the card. I’m not sure that counts! I’m pretty sure I’ve written to someone else but for the life of me, I can’t remember!!

 2.  Do you read letters immediately, or wait until ready to reply? If I get a real paper letter, I usually rip into it immediately. I still love to get mail! Emails . . .sometimes I can see what the email is about in the preview box and I might not open it immediately.

 3.   My preferences when it comes to reading – I love mysteries and thrillers. I just finished the most recent Stephanie Plum and the most recent Kay Scarpetta book (those are the characters – not the author!)

 4.   What I'm least likely to change my mind about – how much I love Mark, our kids, and our granddaughters!!

 5.   The topics I would get wrong about during trivia – I would get ALL of the topics wrong. I am a horrible trivia player.

 6.   What I'm hopeful about right now? I met with the Designer on staff (Liz) at the Contractor’s office on Friday morning. I’m hopeful that we will eventually get our home repaired and move back in. I know y’all are tired of hearing about it. I apologize.

 7.   Philosophies I've learned/embraced from others. I’m going to be honest here. I actually googled, “Is grace a philosophy?” and it is! I want to be known as the person who extended grace to others . . .and who tries to remember to extend grace to myself.

 8.   What makes home feel like home? Our people makes a home feel like a home. Our oldest granddaughter spent the night with us a week or so ago and having her in the apartment made it feel a little more like home.

 9.    Talents and skills I like to cultivate – I am re-cultivating the skill of studying for exams! It is harder at 64 than it was at 19 and 20 years old. I actually have to work for an A!! At this stage of the game, I’m not sure I’m cultivating any new talents.
 
10.   What makes my heart race – when I go up to the third floor at church – lots of steps! I’m not sure that is what you mean. Sometimes fear or anticipation can make my heart race.

11,  What power means to me – I’ve been studying on and off today and over the course of history, men have had the power MOST of the time! I tend to have a more negative connotation of power – one has the power and the other is weak or one has the power and the other has no voice.

12.  Some of my comfort hobbies. I love to lose myself in a book (kindle). The story goes that on the day Mark and I married, I was curled up in a corner of the bride’s room at church . . .reading a book. I also like to go for a walk or ride my stationary recumbent bike when I’m upset.

13.  Last time I was pleasantly surprised – on Halloween night, I was pleasantly surprised at how polite some of the kids were!

14.   How was my October 2022? October was fun and busy! I went on our Women’s Retreat the first weekend, we watched granddaughter #1 cheer at a few games, we ate with our neighborhood supper club, our out to eat Sunday School supper club, and our long time supper club. I had lunch with 3 friends. We went to a neighbor’s house for a tailgate, and we stayed in a hotel for one night and went to a Pumpkin Patch with granddaughter #2. We met with our contractor and with his designer. We had a staff day apart. We had our family fish fry. We celebrated Halloween and gave out candy to at least 500 trick or treaters and we hosted the young adults every Tuesday night.

15.   Those who inspire my growth – Mark and our kids and grandkids inspire me to grow as do some of our friends. Our pastor (my boss) also inspires my growth.

11 comments:

  1. #7-grace is such a good answer! I remember when we returned to school after covid the administration would tell us all of the time to give ourselves grace.
    Your October sounds nice! Loved your answers! Have a nice day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  2. You had a busy October. And do not apologize for writing about the tragedy of losing your home. That is a big deal and you should write about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! The blog has actually helped me process lots of emotions!

      Delete
  3. #7 yessss! Something to ponder for sure. I had to chuckle about your wedding day story; at least you weren't late to the church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in a denomination that didn't teach much about grace. I remember being bowled over when I truly learned about grace and still am amazed!! Nope . . .I wasn't late to the church but curled up in a corner with a book.

      Delete
  4. I don't get tired reading about your home and the progress being made. No apologies necessary! I just got the latest Stephanie Plum book. Haven't read Kay Scarpetta in a long time. You did have a busy October!! Blessings to you in the week ahead!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Stephanie Plum books make me laugh out loud! Thanks to all of you for letting me talk about the house!!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your kind comment. You are right -- The damage and repairs have taken a front seat in our lives and it is a big deal - the house is down to the studs and I do write my blog as a way to remember life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote a letter to a favorite wrestler once when he broke his back and he wrote me a letter back! It looked legit too, not some form response.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #9 - Exams? No thank you very much. I did my last one aged 21 and there will be no more - ever!

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete