Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Comforting Hodgepodge and a Tad of Halloween


Thanks to Joyce for the Hodgepodge questions for today. Please feel free to copy and paste the questions into your own blog OR you can answer in the comments below.

1. What about your upbringing are you most grateful for? My parents taught us the value of working hard and doing our best. I’m also thankful for being raised in a home where the blessing was said before meals and prayers were said before bedtime and where our church was so close we could walk. I found these pictures in a box this weekend -- that is me on the left and my mom on the right.


2. What are two or three things that bring you comfort? When I need comfort, I want to eat – preferably salty carbs. This is a habit I’m continually trying to break. Other things that bring me comfort are a hug from someone who loves me (and I’m not a hugger) and knowing that someone is praying for me. Sometimes having a friend just sit with me is comforting, too.

3. Something beautiful you saw today? (or yesterday depending on when it is you're answering this question) I didn’t take a picture but the fog on Tuesday morning was AMAZING!

4. Have you ever used a typewriter? Tell us a memory associated with that. I learned to type on a typewriter (I’m old). I’m competitive and I always wanted to “win” the timed tests. I’m still a fast typist and a good proofer.

5. Something you are grateful for today. I’m grateful for the gift of life itself and for our family and friends.

6. Insert your own random thought here. We had a great Halloween in our neighborhood. I gave out candy at the “burned” house and lots of neighbors seemed glad to see me! Our friend Hannah loves to dress up and she came and sat with me to give out the candy and we had fun!

This father/son duo was too cute and 
they let me take their photo!

A neighbor three doors down had
dry ice and it would puff out all over
the street and park -- eerie (and cool!)

My friend, Hannah, who teaches
Spanish at a local high school all
dressed up as Mirabel. The children
all loved her!!

Our sad home - hopefully, it will be lovely and repaired
some day! In the meantime, my sweet hubby ran
a 40 foot extension cord to the power pole in the
alley so I could have a few Halloween
lights. We are already planning our
decorations for next year.

Earlier on Halloween, I donated
blood and got some vampire teeth!

I was giving blood at the same time and directly
across from my friend, Marie!









8 comments:

  1. I tried to link on the main page but nothing will click; weird! Yes, I am so not a hugger but I appreciate one when I get it, especially when my husband sees I am in need. I tend to be tough and think I'm good but he knows when I am not. LOL. I agree with your #1; my parents taught me to work hard and persevere and we definitely went to church, which helped me as a younger person for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is working now. I couldn't get it to work earlier this morning, either.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lisa, I enjoyed my visit here today. Yes, hugs are comforting. I like how your pictures look like they are in frames. Is that because of the dark background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the frames are a result of the dark background! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I want salty too although I have eaten my share of Halloween candy this week while staying with my daughter. I need to go home to my 'no snack' pantry lol. I'm glad you were able to celebrate with the neighborhood. I'm sure it was hard too but hopefully the rebuild will begin soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for being a blood donor!! I'm not allowed to donate anymore because of a medication I am on, but I am a 10-gallon donor. It is so important!! How wonderful that you went back to your neighborhood to give out candy!! Your home will be lovely again and what a celebration you can have! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Hodgepodge and want to get back to answering the questions once or twice a month. Joyce always comes up with some questions that make me think and reflect.

    I am an emotional eater, too. Really hate that I am. There are so many much more productive things I could do when I am sad, or stressed. It's crazy that I automatically want to stick something in my mouth!! Even, at times, my foot.

    I need to donate blood more often. Truly don't mind at all and it is such a great way to show your community some love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your answers and photos from Halloween. I loved my typing class.

    ReplyDelete