Monday, August 14, 2023

The weekend . . .

This past weekend sort of began on Thursday night. Thank you to any of you who have prayed for Mark's younger brother, Bill. He was diagnosed with lymphoma earlier this year and when Mark helped move him home (to their mother's house), we thought he would live just a couple of weeks. Jump ahead several months and he is celebrating a birthday . . . .and there is no evidence of cancer right now. He still has Parkinson's which is very debilitating but he seems to be doing well.




After we celebrated the birthday, Mark and I headed to the Homewood Theater to meet our friends. I've told y'all before that we have season tickets and this was the opening show of the season. It is Mark's least favorite - he calls it the "singing and dancing" show. I love any kind of live entertainment.



I also had a yearly check up at the eye doctor. She saw me last year when I was having the terrible turned sideways double vision caused by the sinus infection that required surgery . . .3 days after the fire. It was nice to go in to see her and tell her that we've moved back into our house PLUS I have 20/20 vision except for the need for readers.


I am LOVING this new storage space. To have a place to store blankets is such a luxury!!


Friday afternoon found us at Costco replacing the TV that didn't make it through the fire.


Mark and I (mostly Mark) wrestled that thing into the house and he got the brackets on the wall. We texted our brother-in-law and asked if he could come by on his way home from work to help Mark lift it onto the wall!


Mark's birthday is a week from today and he told our son that he would love for him to come and pressure wash the driveway and the front walk as his gift. He showed up bright and early on Saturday morning. The heat index has been around 110 for the last week so he need to get it done before 10 a.m. (plus granddaughter #1 had a cheer expo . . .in that heat!)


He worked hard and it looks great!


Saturday night was our neighborhood block party/picnic. I walked down to the townhall with Lu and Dave (neighbors/friends) and sat with them. It was nice chatting with folks. Mark is in Alaska and was in Alaska last year at the same time! I took the slaw toward the front of my plate.


Lu brought the cut up watermelon and it was so good.


We had live music - the guy was really good.


I won a great door prize - $150 to Fleming's restaurant


I worked Sunday morning and then went to family lunch. I spent Sunday afternoon cooking for Tuesday night because I had to work tonight (Monday).

I took the screen shot below of the temp at 4:28 Sunday afternoon - 96 . . .felt like 111! It is hot as hell here. No other word for it.


 What did you do this weekend?

3 comments:

  1. What a miracle, your BIL's recovery! And that cake! I've not seen anything like it ... tell us more? That "Great American Songbook" theater offering sounds like something my Tom would love. We've a Rod Stewart CD somewhere around here with that title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake is actually my husband's grandmother's recipe . . .pound cake! Several of the men in our family request pound cake for their birthday!

      Delete
  2. I had an easy weekend. Yours was a good busy, it seems! It's nice that your neighborhood has a picnic!! I loved having tickets to our community theater but Joe didn't like musicals either. We gave up our tickets a couple of years before covid. Have a good rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete