Sunday, August 6, 2023

Hanging Around on Sunday (Stealing)

I'm joining up with our Sunday Stealing folks. Bev steals the questions and we answer! Feel free to copy and answer on your own blog or answer in the comments!

1.  What do you have hanging on your walls? In our kitchen, we have a canvas painting of a lemon branch that our niece painted for us. I also have a little wreath over the stove. Our family room is in the same space and we have a painting of a magnolia bloom and leaves and we have two prints that we bought when in Charleston. Our street in our neighborhood has a “Charleston feel” and we loved the paintings. In our bedroom, we have a seascape. Right now, we have nothing in our dining room or foyer (entry).  Upstairs, one hallway has lots of travel pictures. The other hallway will have family pictures – I just haven’t hung them yet. Two of the bedrooms upstairs have various framed prints on the walls. Mark even has artwork in our garage! In our loft area, one side of the room is “all things fishing.” We only have a clock on the other side for now. We don’t have any artwork yet in the bathrooms. We plan to buy some canvases for our dining room. My craft room doesn’t have any art work yet. That room had a lot of damage and I’ve ordered bookcases and plan to set that space up as an art/study/office room. I’m sure I will have a lot of eclectic art in that room and won’t worry about a theme.











 

2.  Have you used an outrageous excuse to get out of jury duty? I’ve only used two excuses – one was when our twins were little bitty. I was excused. The other was last summer when our home burned and I had emergency surgery. That one was approved also.

 

3. Where do you like to go shopping (not for groceries)? I buy most of my clothes online – Tuckernuck, Talbots, Chico, Loft, etc. I have ordered a TON of stuff from Amazon. I love to shop at Pottery Barn – usually online.

 

4. What was the last movie you saw in a movie theater? We are not movie goers. I should say that Mark is not a movie goer. I actually enjoy going to the movie and have gone by myself – not since covid. Our office went to see a movie together in December and I recently mentioned that – Black Panther – Wakanda Forever. I really enjoyed it. I had not seen the first one so some of the young guys at work told me about it before we went.

 

5. If you wrote a note and put it in a bottle to throw out to sea, what would the note say? How about, “I was here!” I think I would include my name and contact information so when it was found, they could let me know.

 

6. What decision have you made in your life that you regret? I can’t say that I truly regret any decisions because my life wouldn’t be what it is today. I might wish that I hadn’t been quite as “wild” when I was in my early 20’s but that is a part of my story. I might wish that I had finished college when I was young so that I wouldn’t be taking classes at 65 but once again – that is part of my story. I actually care more about what I’m learning than I did the first time around. I might wish that I hadn’t married at 18 and divorced 18 months later. Now I know that he left me because he was gay and was trying to live as a straight man. Once again, those things are a part of my story. There is one thing that was done to me and I had no control. I can’t regret it because I didn’t do it, but I wish it had never happened. Does that make sense?

 

7. What is in your junk drawer? At this moment in time, I have three junk drawers in the kitchen but they are all organized. I have pencils and extra batteries and scotch tape and scissors, etc. I also did a major cleanout of my bedroom junk drawers. I kept a few things – some journals, a few mementos but I was ruthless as we moved back into the house. I lived a year without a whole lot of stuff . . .and I don’t need it.


8. Have you ever gone to a high school reunion? I went to my 10 year and my 15 year and then I went to one that was a combination of several different graduating classes. That was fun because I hung out with some folks who were a grade ahead of me. I was pregnant at the 10 year! I think the 15 year one was on my birthday because I think the band sang happy birthday to me!

 

9. Would you rather receive the GOOD news or the BAD news first? I think the bad news but I prefer all good news 😊.

 

10. What are your top 3 pet peeves? 1. Picking your nose in public 2. Chewing loudly/mouth open 3. Drivers who seem to have no idea what they are doing

 

11. Are there famous people from where you live? There are famous people from here! We have Courteney Cox, Emmylou Harris, Rosa Parks, Fannie Flagg, Tammy Wynette, Charles Barkley and the list goes on. We actually have some pretty famous surgeons at UAB Hospital. People come in from all over the world to see the doctors here.

 

12. What kitchen gadgets do you use most? Besides things like stove and refrigerator and microwave? I use my food processor. I use my good knives. I use my 3 quart pyrex dishes with lids. I use measuring cups and measuring spoons often.

 

13. Who was your elementary school best friend? I grew up on a street with 17 kids and a couple who lived around the corner. I was good friends with Susie and Mariea and Linda and Renea and Mary Lou and Genny. I guess my best friend for most of my growing up years into young adulthood was Karen. Our mothers taught 3 year old Sunday School together and we did a lot together.

 

14. Choose an animal and tell us 4 things about that animal. Harvey is our cat. He is big. He only has back claws. He was a rescue and had been de-clawed on the front paws. He plays a weird game with puff balls and carries it in his mouth and makes these funny noises. You probably wanted me to name an animal breed and tell you something about that??


15. What is your favorite pizza topping?  What do you never want on a pizza? I love the meats like sausage and pepperoni. I don’t want fish on my pizza. When we were in Italy, we were having a hard time talking with the server and she clued in that I did not want fish on my pizza. Language barriers are real.



14 comments:

  1. #10 - yes - picking noses is revolting at any time but in public -- YEUCH!!
    #14. Your cat reminds of a big male cat I had as a kid. He was tiny as a kitten so my dad called him Midge - and he suddenly grew into a massive cat.
    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Midge is a great cat name. Funny that he grew into a massive cat. Harvey is VERY big. He had lost weight when we went to the vet recently and the vet was pleased! He is evidently just right in weight for his big long body!

      Delete
  2. You should try to see the first Black Panther film. The secod one will make more sense. And it's very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Cool!! Who knows? We might be neighbors!!

      Delete
  4. That lemon branch canvas is so dear! I'm impressed how perfectly placed and level you've hung your wall decor. (After we moved here, that was a huge bone of contention!) Last year I organized our 'junk drawers' into his and hers, but they've drifted. (*sigh*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our niece is an engineer who is also very artistic. We commissioned her to pain the lemon branch for us. I'm so glad it made it through the fire!!

      Delete
  5. You must be so happy to be back in your home. What a hard year it has been for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your junk drawer is so much more organized than any of mine! WOW! I would not want fish on my pizza either, buy anchovies aren't as bad as some think... just not a lot!! Have a blessed week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed all your pictures. They look so nice! Your junk drawers don't look junky. Looks like my craft things. The pizza man looks so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go see the Barbie movie. It is moving and powerful. Everyone - especially every woman - should see the Barbie movie.

    ReplyDelete