Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Early, Old, New Hodgepodge


1. What's your earliest memory? I was about three years old. We had a porch on the back of the house with a screen door with a “hook and eye” latch. This latch was up high so that three year old me couldn’t get out. I wanted out so I pushed my tricycle over to the door and stood on it to unlock the latch. The trike scooted out from under me and I fell. I hit my chin on the concrete floor. I remember being picked up and placed on the kitchen table so they could see the damage. We didn’t go to the doctor. We probably should have.

2. What's something about you today that the old you would find surprising? I am seriously thinking about getting a small tattoo. If you had told 40-year-old me that 65-year-old me would consider a tattoo, she wouldn’t have believed it.

3. Do you like to fish? Are you a fish eater? Favorite fish (to eat)? Favorite way to prepare fish? I don’t particularly like to fish. My husband, on the other hand LOVES to fish. The story goes that when he and his twin brother were tiny, if they walked near a puddle, they would say “fish fish fish.” He just returned from a fishing trip in Alaska. 

We also have a small lake on family property and he loves to fish there. 

Fish is not my favorite food but I have learned to love Halibut (caught by hubby). I have learned to eat a small serving of salmon (not my favorite but he has learned a couple of ways to prepare it that I will eat). I love a firm white texture to my fish. Our new Wolf oven has a gourmet setting to cook fish and we’ve used it twice and it cooked the halibut perfectly.

4. What's your biggest first world problem? I guess it is the fact that it takes about 12 weeks, or more, to get furniture after you order it. Sofa should be delivered on September 1. I'm waiting on the upholstery folks to come pick up 3 chairs, a footstool, and another sofa to be recovered. Our outdoor Pottery Barn chair cushions aren't coming until November! Just got a text from Pottery Barn - bookcases are coming on September 1. I’m excited because I can't finish unpacking boxes until I have a place to put things.

5. What one word would you use to describe your year thus far? Better! (August of this year is definitely better than August of last year. - you can read about some of August 2022 here.)

6. Insert your own random thought here. It is so hot here in Alabama!! What is the high temp for your location today?

12 comments:

  1. Oh my, Lisa, I just went back and read the whole story of August 2022 and what suffering you endured just a year ago! It was so good to read about so many who reached out and helped during this time of intense need in your lives. Goodness. How are your eyes a year later? So what kind of tattoo are you thinking of getting? Thanks for sharing that link. I've heard bits and pieces over the last year but not the full scope of this tragedy in your lives. God has been faithful to you through His people. Hope all your orders come in quicker than expected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have often wondered what folks do in crisis when they don't have friends and family to surround them. I just went for my year check-up on my eyes and everything seems perfectly normal for a 65 year old. I have tiny cataracts that aren't causing any problems. I have 20/20 vision. I do wear "readers" - the kind you buy at the drugstore!
      I'm thinking of getting a tattoo on the inside of my wrist - like a vine but working 3 small e's into the vine - for granddaughters and our last name. Thank you for your kind words!!

      Delete
  2. I loved the family memory in answering question #3!! Fish, fish,fish. Love it.
    What kind of tattoo are you thinking of getting?
    Today it is crazy hot in Northwest Wisconsin... Heat index 103!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so crazy hot here, too. When I was driving home from work at almost 7:00 p.m. last night, it was still close to 100 here.
      I'm thinking of getting a tattoo on the inside of my wrist that is like a vine with three small e's woven into the vine.

      Delete
  3. What a difference a year makes! That's so frustrating about the shipping delays; I thought the supply chain had recovered by now. Hope this isn't our 'new normal'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the funniest delay is the cushions for our outdoor chairs. I actually received a text a few days ago that those cushions are on sale . . .and I chuckled because I thought, "well, other folks are going to be surprised at that delay, too."

      Delete
  4. "Better" is a great word choice!! You waited so long to get back into your home and now you are waiting longer to get the furniture you ordered. Anticipation doesn't always make things better. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't even ordered our replacement rugs yet or a few other things. We need to do so soon so we can turn it all in on our insurance.

      Delete
  5. What would your tattoo be? We'll need to see it of course-ha! I think we may hit 100 on Friday, but we're in the high 90's mostly this week. I'm glad this year has been better for you. I have a Thermador and now I want to go see if I have a fish setting lol. We always grill our fish because my hubs can't handle the smell when it's cooked inside. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wonderful thing about the fish Mark has caught . . .there is very little smell. Check your Thermador for a "gourmet" setting -- that is where the fish setting is located on the Wolf.

      Delete
  6. I just realized I never commented. It's hot AF here too; but we aren't all that far from y'all. Good to see your year is definitely better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your answers. Boy, some of you ladies have great memories. Not me.

    ReplyDelete