Wednesday, August 16, 2023

It's a HodgePodge

I'm linking up with Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond for her Wednesday Hodgepodge. She is so faithful to write the questions every week.

1. What motivates you to work hard? Words of affirmation usually get me going PLUS I'm a number one on the Enneagram and I like to do well. I'm the one who wants the A. Sometimes I can be ridiculous.

2. It's been said "Ignorance is bliss"...is it? It can be. Sometimes I just don't want to know. I gave up watching the news several years ago. I do glance at the online headlines but I don't read it all.

3.Would you rather be stuck on a broken elevator or a broken ski lift? Explain. I think I would rather be on the ski lift. I think I might feel claustrophobic on an elevator. Have you ever actually been stuck on either? I thought I was going to get stuck on the one at the church - it sort of did a weird between the floors thing. Our maintenance person was here locking up one night -- all by himself -- and he got stuck in the elevator and had just enough charge on his phone to make one call!!! Of the common fears listed here what's your #1-

heights-enclosed spaces-snakes-public speaking-the dark-flying I don't particularly like snakes. Of all of those, I guess it is enclosed spaces though I had never really thought about it. I don't like that feeling of being trapped somewhere.

4. What's something you like about the town or city where you live? I know that Alabama has a bad reputation and when some people hear that I live in Alabama . . .they might roll their eyes. Alabama has a lot of good things, too. We have wonderful fruits and veggies. We are actually a foodie town with some of THE best restaurants. The people are truly friendly and will speak to you and not ignore you. We don't have a lot of bitter cold weather . . .though we do have some blistering hot days this year. We have easy access to mountains and to the Gulf of Mexico and white sand beaches. 

5. Life is too short to____worry about what other people think____. Now if I could just remember that when I get caught up in worrying about that!!

6. Insert your own random thought here. Mark and his twin brother, George, are in Alaska fishing this week. He has texted several times and I think they are having fun. The water was rough yesterday and he said he was sore this morning from riding the waves. He hooked (by accident) a huge sea lion yesterday. One of the boats had a whale jump so close by that the people got wet!!

Mark on the left, Celia, Sonny, George on the right

Mark, Celia, Sonny


He sent me this one on Tuesday night
It is a silver salmon

One more random thought -- Biology 102 starts on Friday. I made an A in Bio 101. It was hard earned.

12 comments:

  1. I always want the A too : ) Good luck with your next class. I cannot imagine organizing my brain for biology right. now. I did like biology but that was decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told a friend that they have discovered a lot of things since I took high school biology!

      Delete
  2. I like getting the A or the "well done!" too, so I guess that also motivates me. I would love to visit Alabama! We almost did a couple years ago, but had a last minute change of plans. I hope we can get there sometime. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you are ever coming through Alabama!!

      Delete
  3. I'd love to be along on that Alaskan fishing expedition! I hope the sea lion was okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sea lion was okay . . .I hope!!

      Delete
  4. Well done on that A in Biology! That trip to Alaska sounds great. I bet you'll be hearing fish stores for a while when they get back! Your town sounds wonderful. I'm with you on the news. It just isn't news anymore but a lot of opinions. That poor maintainence guy getting stuck in the elevator! Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My comment keeps going away. I stopped watching the news years ago too. I also picked the ski lift. Your town sounds lovely and friendly. I stopped watching the news years ago too. Now if only I could learn how to stop worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got a great blog here. I'm visiting for the first time from the Hodgepodge. Enjoyed the pictures and words about your people visiting Alaska. We took the Inside Passage cruise some years ago and loved it. As for the news, lately it seems to just keep repeating itself over and over and over.... But I find if I miss a day, I do miss out on something. So we watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a lot of people have given up watching the news as their rating are really down. People find it untrustworthy and biased and of course they only report the bad stuff and none of the good things going on in the world. I never have anything but positive thoughts when I think of Alabama, and I'm from Wisconsin. I would love to vacation there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been stuck in an elevator; it was only a few minutes but it was claustrophobic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your answers. I'm an enneagram 9. I don't really watch the news right now either, but we've been having so many fires in the PNW that I'm tempted to turn it on for updates. I think every state has it's pluses and minuses.

    ReplyDelete