Thursday, November 4, 2021

I Was Going to Ask You on a Date

Several of you have asked me to share a story that I casually mentioned in another post. First of all, I want to be very clear. My heart goes out to all Vietnam Veterans and to all those who have served in any war. Also, I am in no way form or fashion making fun of anyone who is homeless. Our church is very involved in helping those who have no place to live and those who suffer due to insufficient income.

On to the story and I need to start with the "back" story:

A co-worker, on her next to last day before retirement, backed into my car. Since we were leaving the country, we dropped my car off at the dealership on the night before our flight. We were thinking that we wouldn't have to rent a car because we were going to be gone 10 days and surely the repairs would be done by our return. We returned from our trip and Mark called to see if we could come and get my car. NOPE! They hadn't even begun because of my friend's insurance. After a phone call or two, things were straightened out and work was to begin on my car . . .but now, I had to have a rental. The State Farm agent made the arrangements for a rental car and Mark drove me to the Hertz location and let me out . . .and he drove off to go check in at his office since we had been gone. I walked in and told them I had a text saying my rental was ready . . .and they proceeded to tell me that there was not a single rental car available. I quickly called Mark and he had to turn around in traffic and come back and get me and drop me off at home before he could go to the office. Around 4:00 that afternoon, I called and they had a car so we made a return trip to Hertz.

The rental car had Illinois tags (remember this).

Fast forward (or slow crawl) 11 days and my car was ready. This short story is turning into a much longer story - sorry :-). I called Hertz and asked if I needed to fill the tank before returning the rental and the answer was yes.

There is a Shell gas station/convenience store/fried chicken place about a mile from our office. I drove there on my lunch hour to fill up. I stepped out of the car and inserted the card and started pumping gas. I had pumped maybe 10 seconds when I noticed a man approaching me. I did reach back into my car and grabbed my purse and put it on my shoulder just because I had recently read about some gas station thieves. This man had a pleasant expression on his face and he had great dreadlocks. As he approached, he asked, "Are you from Illinois?" (remember the tag). I told him no and that I was an Alabama girl through and through. I thought he would walk away but NOPE he wanted to have a full blown conversation. I decided that it was broad daylight and there were other people around so I would answer his questions.

He told me that he has a sister who lives in Chicago. Then he asked me for money and I told him that my husband always laughs because I never have cash on hand. He then said, "your husband? That was my next question. I was going to ask you on a date." Y'all . . .at this point I'm chuckling because what the what?? He then told me that he is a Vietnam Veteran and that he is homeless. He also said, "Your husband is a lucky man because you are one FINE woman and your husband is one lucky man!" Once again, I'm just chuckling and I said thank you. He told me that he was 66 and that he was probably too old for me. He asked me several times - how old are you? 49? Y'all I'm 63 but I didn't tell him. He THEN ASKED, "Where is your husband right now? Is he at work?" I said yes, yes he is. The man then proceeded to say, "Well, we've got time then!!" Y'all I kid you not!!!!

I texted Mark afterwards and told him that a 66 year old homeless guy with dreadlocks just asked me on a date. Over the previous weekend, another gentleman had been slightly inappropriate to me when I was with Mark. Mark texted back "I better watch out!" hahahaha!!

Of course, the story doesn't end there. I drove to Hertz that afternoon and Mark was to pick me up at 4:30. I went in and turned in the keys and as I was walking back out to wait (covid - no waiting inside) Mark called. There was a stopped train and he was having to go around the world. I sat down on the curb to wait. Literally sat on the curb in a dress with my computer, my purse, and my lunchbox. He then called and said he had to stop at the dealership first because we had to pay and they were going to close. While sitting on the curb . . .I texted with my friend, Marietta. I read part of my book on the kindle app on my phone. Both of our kids called and I talked to them and FINALLY he got there. I felt like all of that deserved Taco Mama for dinner.

What a crazy adventure all due to a fender bender!!

Oh - just FYI, I drive by that gas station almost every day and I've seen my friend in that Shell parking lot several times. I'm thinking he might be running a scam. I wonder how many other ladies he has asked on a date this week?

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you mentioned this station was near your office, on account my heart began hammering, imagining you in 'that' neighborhood just outside the airport. Vet or not, that guy would creep me out. Now that you've spotted him again, ya. I'm thinking scam. While you handled things well (with humor), I'd choose to start going elsewhere. 'Surprised the station's management hasn't told him to get lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when I drive by today, I'll have to see if he is in the parking lot again. One station in town had a man (and his dog) who lived in a car in their parking lot for a long time. He would be leaving when I was driving to work. I guess he parked there while they were closed.

      Delete