Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Book Reviews

I read all of the time. I have books loaded on my kindle so I can read wherever I am - either on the actual kindle or on my computer or on my phone. I normally read thrillers or mysteries but I usually lurk on the edges of our neighborhood book club Facebook pages and read what they are reading. My sister is also in a book club in Texas and she often shares what they are reading. This encourages me to read other genres.

I mentioned this book recently and I highly recommend it.


This book was named one of the best books of the year by the Washington Post. This historical fiction novel is based on the true story of J.P. Morgan's personal librarian. Belle, the librarian, is actually a black woman who is light skinned and she crafts a white identity. I love what the authors shared at the end of the book. They were both real and honest. 

I, a white woman of privilege, take so many things for granted. This is not a book that "preaches" at you but it is a book that will make you think.

I also read this book and I recommend it, too. I think I downloaded it after reading a review on Preppy Empty Nester (maybe?).


This is the first time that I have read a book by Beatriz Williams and I think I will have to read some more. Our Woman in Moscow is also historical fiction. As a child, I remember hearing whispers of things happening in Russia and whispers of people who were said to be communists. One of the reasons I was drawn to the book is that two of the main characters are twins . . .since I'm married to an identical twin and we have fraternal twins, I'm almost always game to read about twins.

Let me tell you about two more. I think this book was an Amazon Prime first picks choice.


This book is a "thriller." I like a book that keeps me on the edge of the seat. Barbara Nickless did a good job of keeping the identity of the killer a secret . . until she didn't. At First Light is set in present day and includes Vikings, ritual murder, birds, music, and riddles -- among other things!

I also love a book that can make me laugh out loud. Janet Evanovich's books do that for me almost every time. 


I read the reviews online and this book got horrible reviews. I just love Stephanie Plum and her crazy family - especially Grandma Mazur. Yes, the book is similar to some of her other books and I can agree with some of the things the naysayers wrote in their reviews BUT the book made me laugh out loud and that is always a good thing.  

What have you read lately? Do you have a favorite genre? Do you have any recommendations?



1 comment:

  1. Have read 2 of the 4 books you shared. My online book club chose them or I probably wouldn't have read them. Although I do like historic fiction a lot.
    We just finished The Secret of Snow, which was much better, more substantive than I thought it would be. Really good. And the club selected The Santa Suit for our December read.

    ReplyDelete