Wednesday, November 10, 2021

A Glass Half Full Hodgepodge

 1. How did you name your blog and do you now wish you had thought about it maybe another five minutes before hitting publish? Would you change your blog title if it were not a huge pain in the derriere? I'm going to answer the second half of the question first -- I'm 63 now so I don't know if I'm still middle aged. I'm going to keep pretending that I am and not change the title. On to the question about the name. I wrote the following on Thursday, June 4.

Last Friday while driving home from the farmer's market, I decided to create a blog and even thought of the name at that time. I was thinking about our kids - now 22 years old. . . almost 23 - and was thinking about the different role I will be playing in their lives. My thoughts are sometimes erratic. They pop around in my head like the kernels of popcorn that I love. I imagine that my writing will be the same. To be honest, I doubt that there is anyone who would really and truly care to read this so I think I'm doing it just for myself (and then if someone else likes it, that is just icing on the cake!) So just what are my middle aged mom musings this day. Laura is interning at a very special pre-school here in town and I had been to visit on Friday. Seems like only a few years ago that she was the little girl student and now she is the "teacher." Today her class went to a petting zoo. I was able to locate a picture of Laura and Glenn at the same petting zoo when they were in preschool. She took it to school with her today to show the children. Glenn is away this summer working at a Christian camp. He is a grown man . . .on his own far from home.

Today starts the process - I have no idea if I'll write something every day - maybe prayers or something about vacation or scrapbooking - or if I'll ever write again . . .but today starts the process.

2. What bill do you least like to pay? I actually dislike paying bills. We have one major credit card that we use and pay off each month and I hate paying that. As I'm typing, I thought of another one. I hate paying our neighborhood association dues and they are due at the end of December. I live in a wonderful neighborhood and I actually don't mind paying dues but lately we don't seem to have a say so in anything that happens around here.

3. What is your favorite word? Okay okay, calm down. How about one of your favorite words? I'm going to say three words -- please and thank you - ok that was 4 words counting "and." I definitely have some words I hate!! I'm sure that there are other words I like but they elude me at the moment.

4. Is the glass half full or half empty? Elaborate. Half Full 99% of the time though the last couple of days I've been in a weird place. I still think my glass is overflowing with blessings.

5. Were you here for that very first Hodgepodge post? If so, were your answers then similar to what they are today? Tell us what was happening in your life in November of 2010? I was blogging back then but I don't think I knew anything about bloghops like Hodgepodge. I wish I had!! I just reread my posts from November 2010. Our twins were turning 24 and our soon to be daughter-in-law was turning 25. Our son and soon to be daughter-in-law were engaged and we were gearing up for a January 2011 wedding. Our daughter, Laura, wasn't married yet and she and I made some really cute t-shirts for her to wear in her classroom. We have an amazing Children's Hospital here in town and they have a support group for the parents of kids with cancer. Our Sunday school class cooked meals once a month and delivered the meals to the hospital for those parents to eat. I evidently I was the one who cooked in November 2010. It is hard to believe that has been 11 years ago.

6. Insert your own random thought here. I tried a new recipe last night for a spaghetti casserole in the crockpot. We served it to the young adults with green beans and salad and bread. Here is the recipe -- it was yummy. I used whole wheat pasta and ground turkey sausage along with ground beef.

crockpot liners to the rescue!

yummy!!


21 comments:

  1. I so agree with your thoughts on time. I think grown kids make it move even faster. Was it really only ten years ago I had one in college still? Thanks for joining in here each week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daddy used to say that the older you get . . .the faster the time goes by. I know that technically that isn't true . . but it does seem to go quickly!!

      Delete
  2. I agree, a lot has changed in 11 years! Please and thank you are very good words 😊
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I love this sentence - My thoughts are sometimes erratic. They pop around in my head like the kernels of popcorn that I love. I can just visual those kernels of thoughts popping around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still the same way - pop! pop! pop! Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  4. Good morning, Lisa. I'm loving the back-story to 'Musings'; and had no idea you'd been blogging so long! Please and thank you are perfect words. Thanks for the link to this crockpot spaghetti -- Tom loves that sort of comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a while our Homeowners folks were pretty totalitarian but we voted them all out so that bill doesn't bother me anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our problem is with the company that originally owned the property that our neighborhood sits on and they have majority rule until all of the houses are sold which will be several more years. Someone told me that they heard about a similar situation and the company held on to a couple of lots so that they were always majority! I hope that isn't true.

      Delete
  6. I agree, time seems to fly by lately. My daughters are 29 and 31, they were in high school just a few days ago, weren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I agree. Surely my children were at least in college yesterday! They will be 35 on Thursday of this week!

      Delete
  7. Please and thank-you are great words. Time does move faster the older I get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading about your thoughts on starting a blog. Time flies these days for sure. Happy Hodgepodge to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting and commenting! I really thought no one would ever read it so when someone does and comments . . .it still makes me smile!

      Delete
  9. Another fun Hodgepodge. I didn't join in until 2012. Time does go faster and faster. It's a wonder we don't feel the breeze of time flying by! I enjoyed my visit here!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that comment "It's a wonder we don't feel the breeze of time flying by!" I agree!!!

      Delete
  10. I like the name of your blog and enjoyed reading your answer and how you got started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting. Middle aged mom sounds better than "old lady" right?

      Delete