Sunday, January 30, 2022

Sunday Stealing from The Queen's Meme

 

Thank you to our host, Bev Sykes of the blog "Funny the World.” She searches the internet every week to come up with questions for Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. This week’s questions are from The Queen’s Meme. I'd love to hear your answers!

Stolen from The Queen's Meme

1. January usually has ample amounts of snowfall in parts of the world. Did you ever make snow cream as a kid? We don’t get a lot of snow in Alabama but I actually remember making snow cream one of the times that it did snow.                                                                                                                                

2. January is one of the months with 31 days. What are you going to do with that extra day?
I will probably be doing the same thing as any other day. I’ll get up at 5:00 and exercise and shower and go to work. At the end of the day, I’ll come home and prepare and eat dinner. Hubby usually does the dishes. Then we will watch a couple of episodes of Ted Lasso or Castle. Those are the two shows we are watching right now. We are actually watching Ted Lasso for the second time through.

3. In medieval times superstition dictated that the 1st day of January was significant for prosperity, or lack of it, in a person's life. Farmers put a flat cake on the horns of a cow and they danced and sang songs around the cow until the cake was thrown to the ground. If it fell in front of the cow that meant good luck; it if fell behind the cow that meant bad luck for the rest of the year.
Do you have strange New Year customs in your household? This year, we opened the front and back door on New Year’s Eve and ushered out the old year and welcomed in the new. We usually make a big pot of gumbo on New Year’s Eve. On New Year’s Day, we always eat black eyed peas, some sort of greens, ham or pork tenderloin, and cheese grits. The black eyed peas are for luck, the greens are for money, I can’t remember what the pork is for, and the cheese grits are just because we like them. I usually make cornbread to go along with this meal.


Gumbo at the very beginning before
it cooks down


4. On January 14, 1986 motorists were required for the first time to wear seat belts? Do you always buckle up? Why or why not? I do always wear my seatbelt. I’m a rule follower so that is one reason but I also do think they protect us in the case of an accident.

5. Have you ever blabbermouthed something to a significant other that in hindsight you really should have kept to yourself? I can’t think of an exact instance but I have found that I can’t talk about someone in a negative way to my husband because he never forgets.

6. Have you ever written anything on your blog that you wish you could take back? I don’t think so. I think I probably self censor most of the time.

7. Are you the blabber or the blabbee? Tell us your most embarrassing blabbermouth moment. Most of the time, I not either one. My job requires a high level of confidentiality so I know how to keep my mouth shut. A week or so ago, I did have diarrhea of the month. My son and his family had covid and I didn’t realize that my 5 year old granddaughter didn’t KNOW that she had covid and I said something on the phone to her. Luckily, I don’t think she had slowed down enough to really listen to what I said.

8. Who is the biggest blabbermouth tattletale in your household? We laugh about this a lot. We say it is our son. My husband is on a “need to know basis.” His words – he says to tell him if he needs to know, otherwise don’t tell him.

9. You are the Blog Paparazzi! Which blogger's real photograph are you most interested in getting?
I think it would be cool to meet Ree Drummond in person. I actually think it would be cool to meet all of the different bloggers.

10. If you could hire the loudest and most skilled blabbermouth in the universe to do your talking for you and advertise it well, what message would you like to spread to humanity? Be kind to one another. Everyone doesn’t have to think the same but be KIND! I’m sure there are more profound messages but that is what popped into my head immediately.

11. Are you always on time or just a tad late? 99% of the time, I’m a tad early.

12. Is there someone in your life that irritates you regularly about not being on time? One of my husband’s brothers is always late. He’s been late as long as I’ve been in the family. It used to irritate me but most of the time now, I just laugh about it. We also have some other relatives that are always late and I just laugh about it, too.

13. Can you think of a time when you were late for something and it was REALLY a big deal? I cannot think of any time that it really mattered. My husband is always early for most things but when we were newlyweds, we would be late for church every Sunday. We would get there in time for the sermon.

14. If you were on your way to work and had five minutes to get there, would you stop in the road to rescue a crossing turtle? I hate to say this but I probably wouldn’t stop . . .but then I would worry about it the rest of the day.

15. Have you ever had to actually punch a time clock? I have not. I did have to fill out a time card for one of my part time jobs years ago but most of my jobs have been salaried.

 

11 comments:

  1. When I lived in Mississippi, we did gumbo for New Years. Out here, in New Mexico, I've made it twice in 10 years. The ingredients for seafood gumbo are awful dear out here. I spent about $100 getting head-on shrimp, blue crabs, and lump crab for my Mom's 80th birthday gumbo. Worth it, but sure can't do it regular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good shrimp is about 15-20 a pound here and we are only a few hours from the gulf of Mexico. I feel like food is so expensive right now.

      Delete
  2. I punched a time clock twice in my working life. Once when I was a waitress in college and later at the government agency I worked for. So grateful I'm retired and no more time clocks for me. Have a good week and thanks for visiting Buttercupland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is getting ready to retire but I plan to work a few more years :-)

      Delete
  3. I found that with my sister-in-law, because she was late all of the time, other family members would show up late too. I got tired of it. It is ridiculous. Now they start on time, and everyone just comes and goes. The thing about that though, is you aren't really spending time with them because they haven't arrived yet. Drives me nuts. Loved your answers! Have a nice day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, some Sundays we don't see them at all - we eat and go home before they arrive!!

      Delete
  4. That gumbo look delish. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of those New Year's things. My grandmother used to want a man with dark hair to be the first person to enter the house in the new year. I remember one year I went in first before my father and my grandmother said I was bringing bad luck. It had quite a bad effect on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my goodness! I imagine that would have a bad effect on you!! We aren't superstitious but do it as sort of a tradition.

      Delete
  6. I've been craving cheese grits! Your decision to laugh when others are tardy is a great response. I waste too much time getting upset about those things over which I've no control.

    ReplyDelete