Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Popping in for a hodgepodge

Thanks to Joyce for the questions! Please feel free to answer in the comments (because I love reading the comments) or copy and paste the questions into your own blog and link up here.

From this Side of the Pond

1. It's National Popcorn Day-my favorite! Are you a fan? Sweet or salty? A good or great movie you've seen recently (at home or in a theater, either one)? 

I love popcorn! Please give me all the salt. Yesterday, I had a tiny bag of microwave popcorn and I partially burned it and I ate it anyway! I think it was way past the "best by" date so there were a lot of unpopped kernels and it was already a tiny bag. Mark is not a movie watcher so I don't see many movies. I have been known (pre-covid) to go to the theater by myself. My kids thought that was so weird but I think my daughter understands now.

2. What's something you didn't realize was going to take so much of your time as an adult? Adulting in general, right? How about planning the menus and buying the groceries and cooking the meals? Since the beginning of covid I have used shipt - not every time but some. Another thing that takes far more of my time than I ever imagined is "worrying" about my adult children. It is not really worrying because I do pray about it and turn it over but sometimes I take it back. I can't wait to read other's answers for this question.

3. Your favorite yellow something? Forsythia! Forsythia screams "spring is coming -- hang on! I promise it is coming. You just have to wait a little longer." I hear it speak to me every year and I hang on as I wait for more daylight and more sunshine. 

This is not my photo but it sure is beautiful! I
borrowed it from the internet :-)

We walked over to the pond in
our neighborhood last week
and I snapped this photo. I'm
not totally sure this is forsythia but
I think it is. Forsythia is usually the
only thing blooming here
at this time of year.


4. Why do you write? I enjoy writing. Sometimes the words just need to burst forth. I also hope that someday my kids will go back and read some of what I wrote and it will help them to remember. My mom died when I was so young that I sometimes have a hard time remembering. I wish I could ask her questions. Maybe some of my posts will answer questions for my kids.

5. Share a favorite memory associated with snow. I think it was in 1982. We had a huge ice storm and then snow on top of ice. I was at a doctor's appointment at UAB and my car was in the shop. A friend had agreed to pick me up after the doctor's appointment. The front moved in more quickly than the weather forecasters had predicted and businesses - including the doctor's office - closed up and sent everyone home. My friend finally made it to the doctor's office to pick me up and we started back toward his mom's house in Homewood (suburb of Birmingham). They were closing roads before we could get to them. We finally parked his car in a gas station parking lot and I cried and the owner of the gas station who had just locked up . . .unlocked the bathroom so I could use the facility (Scott if you are reading this I hope you are laughing because you would have been right there with me). The reason I needed to use the restroom was we were going to WALK to Homewood on the expressway. They had closed the expressway and there were cars pulled off to the side. We started walking from Highland Avenue to Homewood. We finally made it and I remember being so cold! At some point the power went out because the weight of the ice broke tree limbs which broke power lines, etc. We were iced in for 3 days with his parents. We popped popcorn in the fireplace. I think we may  have even cooked a meal in that fireplace. We sang songs - the friend played the guitar. I made the mistake of saying I was bored and my friend's mother (Alva was her name!) told me that there was NEVER a reason to be bored. I had my first lesson in how to polish silver that day. I found this picture on Al.com from the 1982 ice storm (but there was some snow, too). Just in case you don't know or have forgotten - I live in the deep south. This was a big storm but I do have fond memories from that 3 days.

picture credit - AL.com

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I've shared with y'all about my sweet mother-in-law. We were there on Sunday for lunch and time with her and family. Our granddaughter #1 made a blanket fort on Gmom's walker and it was the sweetest moment. They were discussing the name of her doll (Sister) and they were discussing how to make the blanket cover more space. We are trying to cherish these moments.





8 comments:

  1. I love your reason for writing. I have my blogs published yearly (a wee bit behind right now) with the hopes that one day someone will want to look back and relive our lives as a family and what their Bibby had on her mind. They may actually end up in a heap or some estate sale instead. But, writing and blogging has been my pleasure and that's enough. All snows in the deep south are memorable, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your reason for writing! The blanket is beautiful and looks very warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMW on your experience in the ice storm! I can't even wrap my mind around having to walk the expressway to Homewood.
    Worry? My son's 52 y/o and I've still not learned how NOT to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you win for the most harrowing snow story! Forsythia was a sweet thing to see each year. Good reason for writing. Happy Wednesday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your snow story was riveting. What an experience!

    I so agree with your friend's mother. There is never a reason to be bored! My grandkids learned very young that Grammy would find them something to do if those words were uttered!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet moments with your MIL. I really enjoyed your snow memory/adventure! WOW! A fun Hodgepodge!! Happy mid-week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husbands likes seeing movies but for those that he has no desire to see I would go alone. Haven't been since Covid started. You know what, I agree with you on the forsythia. We don't have them in CA but I loved them growing up in Illinois. That is some story about the snow!!! I love your random. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forsythia...just beautiful! We have a ginkgo tree in the park that is an amazing yellow in the fall.
    I wonder if those of us who live in the South have more vivid memories of snow/ice since it doesn't happen often?

    ReplyDelete