Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Last Hodgepodge of 2021

Thanks to Joyce for another year's worth of questions! This is the last Wednesday Hodgepodge of 2021!! Feel free to copy and paste the questions into your own blog and answer and link up or please feel free to answer in the comments section!! I'm using a funky green font in honor of the Christmas season :-)!!


From this Side of the Pond
1. How young is young? In the past, according to various organizations who decide these things, age 60 was the 'border age' to old. The World Health Organization has done new research recently and divided up the categories as-0-17 (underage), 18-65 (youth or young people), 66-79 (middle-aged), 80-99 (elderly senior), 100+ (long-lived elderly). Your thoughts on this particular breakdown, and also your thoughts as to where you land? Oh my goodness - I love this new breakdown! I'm not old yet - hurrah!! On the question -- how young is young? My first thought was that anyone under 18 is young. Underage is definitely a good category title. I work with lots of young adults (45 and under) and they amaze me at times!

2. TIME magazine has declared Elon Musk person of the year in 2021. What say you? If you want to know more about how they choose you'll find that info in the link here. If you were choosing, who would be your person of the year? I've always thought that the person of the year should be a "nice" person but I'm not sure that fits Elon Musk, does it? I think he has definitely done some amazing things. I actually looked at the choices for people/man/woman/machine of the year since 1927 and the choices are definitely interesting. I'm not sure who I would choose - it would probably be someone more "down to earth" - someone who is in the thick of caring for others.

3. I read here ten habits of extremely likable people which include-they greet the world with a smile on their face, they ask questions, they're consistent, they put the phone away, they remember names and use them, they keep an open mind and don't pass judgement, they're authentic, they're kind and generous, accountable for their mistakes, and they send thank you notes.  

So, are you likable-lol? Which one of these habits could use some further developing in your own life? What is one habit/quality you'd add to the list? 

I do smile a lot. I am definitely authentic. I try hard to be kind and generous. I say I'm sorry a lot so I think that means I own up to my mistakes. I send thank you notes. I think I'm likable but who knows?? I need to put my phone away A LOT MORE. I work hard on remembering names but I do forget names sometimes. The pandemic helped with this because I could say that the mask was interfering :-). If I added something I would add "Love everyone - and I do mean everyone."

4. One non-holiday related task/job/goal/dream on your to-do list that you hope/plan to make happen before the new year rolls in? I would love to clean out some of my attic before the end of the year. We have a great space but we have crammed so much junk into the space in the last 7 years.

5. Share with us some of your holiday plans. Tomorrow night we are going to see Christmas Vacation on the big screen at the Alabama Theater. I texted with hubby and kids yesterday and we figured out that we can all get together for Christmas Eve lunch. Some of us will attend a Christmas program this Sunday evening and some of us will attend Christmas Eve communion and candlelight service together.

6. Insert your own random thought here. I feel better about Christmas this week. Last week I was in a panic. I didn't put out as many decorations this year but I have plenty. Speaking of Christmas, our church had our Lessons and Carols service this past Sunday. It was so good.  ALSO -- all of a sudden, my blog is acting crazy -- I can't reply to your comments as ME! It shows up as anonymous. I googled it and it is a more common problem than I imagined. I've done the things suggested and it still doesn't work. It is so frustrating! I'm open to suggestions??? (yes - I think that was 3 random thoughts in one paragraph - what the heck!)

16 comments:

  1. I hate when my blog has issues like that! And glad you're feeling better about Christmas. I am too, now that our party is over. Except now I realize how close it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read everything I could find on the blog issue and I think I fixed it! Yay for me!

      Delete
  2. I am also a person who needs to put away her phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I drive my husband crazy with my phone!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your answers. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your thoughts on who REALLY deserves to be named Person of the Year! Yep, I, too, NEED to keep my phone off the dinner table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too need to work on putting my phone away, it's a challenge for me. Good luck with your attic clean out- that sounds like a big task. Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I think we all need to put the phones away more often than not! I enjoyed your answers!! The big day is nearly here! Glad you are feeling better about it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you sound like a very likeable person. I'm glad you are getting together when you can. Sorry about the blogger issues. You asked about what kinds of trees we have on our properties here. We have pines, and firs and an occasional larch. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have pines in Alabama a a couple of fir varities but I'm not sure we have larch trees. Thanks for answering my question!

      Delete
  8. I'm enjoying reading your answers. We got rid of things in our attic a few years ago. Just too hard for us to get up there. No doubt you are likable. It's fun to see old movies on the big screen. We were huge movie goers before Covid. Haven't been back since and we miss it. I didn't put as much out this year either and it looks awesome just the way it is. Time to downsize Christmas items again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would say young is anything under 35 or 40, but then old would be over 70 now as people live longer. But then it depends on someone's mind set as well

    ReplyDelete