Friday, April 13, 2018

April A to Z Challenge - L is for Labneh and Light


We are a family that loves to dip! We like dipping chips into queso, guacamole, and salsa. We like dipping crackers into chicken salad. We love dipping our pita bread or raw carrots into hummus so I loved the array of dips in Israel.

L is for Labneh

What is Labneh? Labneh is a wonderfully creamy yogurt cheese. Labneh is made by training the liquid out of yogurt until it takes on the consistency sort of like a very soft cream cheese. I LOVE to dip anything into cream cheese and this is even healthier!! I imagine you could use it in place of cream cheese or maybe even sour cream. In Israel, Labneh is often served with pita bread – oh goodness – it is so good! They often squeeze a little lemon on top and drizzle some olive oil and some might even add a few fresh herbs.

Remember that comb of honey that I posted a picture of yesterday? For breakfast, a piece of toast with a slathering of labneh and a drizzle of honey – makes me want to have a hive of bees and learn to make labneh – which is not too hard if you believe the videos and tutorials!

As I was typing, I was wondering if you could make spinach dip with Labneh? I guess you could and it would probably be delicious.

Have you ever eaten Labneh? If so, did you enjoy?
photo from bonapetit.com - labneh

photo from thebeirutbaker.com and she says that
you can purchase at a Lebanese market
and we have one of those in town - I need
to see if I can buy Labneh there


This next one is going to be a huge stretch so bear with me, ok?

L is for Light

During the first part of our trip, we stayed in Tiberius right on the Sea of Galilee. You can see boats located along the shore line and on the weekend those boats become party boats and they set off fireworks from the boats out over the Sea of Galilee. They were partying on those boats and we could hear the music. There is no air conditioning in the hotel because even though it was 80 degrees outside, it is still considered winter . . .so only heat . . .no air. Why did I insert that sentence? Because we left our room door to the teeny tiny balcony open ALL the time – even when we were sleeping . . and they were partying. I was able to catch a few pictures of the fireworks and the LIGHT was beautiful.



Do you love fireworks as much as I do? Does the idea of being on a party boat with loud music and fireworks sound like fun to you?

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I love fireworks, so that must have been a fun sight to see!

    I've never heard of labneh before your post. I'll have to look into it. Dipping things is always fun.

    Happy A-Z! :)

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love labneh and sometimes my partner does a bit of cheesemaking- as a family we love dipping too and I make hommous every week -that is a staple here. the fireworks thru the open door sounds great...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Labneh sounds and looks delicious!

    Fireworks are always fun and it wasn't too big of a stretch. :)

    Emily In Ecuador | Lights Reflecting Off the Ocean, Puerto Lopez, Ecuador

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Many, Sandra, and Emily for visiting and for your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful lights and the Labneh sounds wonderful. I've become a fan of plain greek yogurt the past few years, and have always loved cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete