Saturday, March 4, 2023

Sunday Stealing

 I'm joining up with The Sunday Stealing gang. Thank you to Bev for the questions. I love reading everyone's answers!!


1. What are your plans for March? I had lunch with three friends on Friday and a storm blew in while we were at the restaurant. It was raining sideways and it was blowing the doors of the restaurant open. At one point, we all looked out the window and there were chairs blowing by! It passed quickly and the sun came out. We went to our “long-time together” supper club on Friday night and had a great time. I’m one of the hostesses for a Baby Tea on Sunday afternoon and I made cheese straws. If you aren’t from the south, you may not know what those are. They are deliciousness – cheese, butter, flour, cayenne pepper piped out of an antique cookie press and baked in the oven. 



We are headed to our neighborhood supper club on the 11th and on the 16th, we are meeting friends at a fun local restaurant. We are going to try to take either a quick overnight trip to see our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter or either just a day trip.

2. Did you ever have or go to sleepovers as a kid? Yes! I remember when Susie Battles spent the night with me one time and she got scared during the night and had to go home. Thankfully, she just lived a half block away. One of my best friends growing up was Karen and she and I went back and forth to each other’s houses often.

3. Which books would you pick for a book binge? I am reading Clue Krewe (Miss Fortune Mysteries) by Jana Deleon right now. If you want to read a series of books that will make you laugh out loud, this is the series. This is book 24 and I try to watch for her new ones. Now if you are looking for a “literary experience” this is not your book series. I read a lot of books that have much more meaning, etc. This is a funny series and if I were going to binge, I might have to start at the beginning and read all of them again.

4. What features do you love most about your home? Remember . . .I’m living in an apartment because our home burned on July 9 (yes, I’m tired of it, too . . .I know you rolled your eyes when you read it!!) We went over to the house on Friday after the workmen left and I took a couple of pictures. We are upgrading our fireplace to a MUCH bigger firebox and we are upgrading our mantle. Way up in the tip top of the house, they have replaced the top rafters (or whatever you call them). Everything that is white has been sprayed with a “shellac” that seals in any residual smoke smell.


5. Favorite songs from tv, movies, and video games – I’m horrible at songs. Seriously. Today I’ve been humming the theme to Gilligan’s Island because I’m using a variation of it in the Sunday School lesson that I’m teaching (to adults) tomorrow.

6. What group games do you like to play with others? I married a non-game player. We have played dominoes a few times beginning back during covid. The question doesn’t specify which kind of games – I loved loved loved playing kickball when I was growing up. Last year on our overnight staff retreat, I watched while four others played a really funny game – Telestrations. It was so funny!!!!

7. How often do you try something new? I thought I was pretty adventurous until we were in Israel this time. I did do a lot of new things on this trip. Mark and I set out in the Old City of Jerusalem to find St. Mark’s church. We asked several people for directions (some spoke English and helped – some did not) and wound ourselves deeper and deeper and deeper into the Old City and away from the main cobblestone streets. At one point, I had a total freak out. Right about that time, I pulled out my phone and googled (wasn’t sure I had a signal) and we had found it . . .and I calmed down. One of the sites that I dislike in the Holy Land is the "Upper Room." I just felt like it was not right - I can't even put words to my thoughts. This tiny Syriac Orthodox church has a sign up that this church is built on the site of the mother of John Mark's home and that the last supper occurred here. I'm not sure the location is correct (I'm not a Biblical scholar) but to me, this tiny church seems much more like where I would imagine the Upper Room was located.






8. What type of sushi is your favorite? I have never eaten sushi. The rest of my family loves it. My niece learned to make it – her friend’s mother taught her and gave her all of the rolling supplies, etc. For a Christmas party we attended, she made Spam Sushi which is evidently loved by many who live in Hawaii!!

9. Do you prefer to relax or go on adventures during vacation? See number 7 above! I do like to relax on vacation. When we travel outside the country or to somewhere new, we don’t relax because we want to SEE everything. We did a “jeep” (land rovers I think) ride in the Golan Heights and climbed down in a deep tunnel and climbed up a mountain on this last trip so we were pretty adventurous.

10. How do you prevent burn out? I’m not always good at preventing burn out. If I were to give advice about it, I would say to rest often and to ask for help when needed.

11. Which colors look best on you? I love to wear bright pink and Kelly green. There is also a blue color that looks great on me. The pink makes me happy. The green makes my eyes pop!

12. Do you like brunch? I can take it or leave it. I actually prefer breakfast for dinner. I don’t always eat traditional food for breakfast.

13. Trends you showed up late for – I was slow to skinny jeans and leggings. I don’t plan to give up skinny jeans even though the wide legs are in style now. I have purchased a pair of wider leg jeans. I always feel like I’m a step or two behind most trends.

14. What’s your favorite drink order? Y’all know I drink Diet Pepsi every single day. In a bar or restaurant, I might choose a Moscow Mule or a margarita. I had a new beverage on Thursday night when we met friends for dinner at Casual Pint. I don’t drink beer so going to a place that features beer can be a problem. I think it was a Wild Leap Strawberry Mango with 10% alcohol so I just had a 5 ounce pour!

15. Which clothes or accessories make you feel most confident? I bought a really cute dress this fall/winter and wore it with black tights and black ankle booties. I felt really good in that outfit. If we have another cold Sunday, I will wear it again but it is warm today.

10 comments:

  1. I said I'm not adventurous but when we were in Vietnam, we went in the tunnels of Củ Chi which were used in the Vietnam War. They were a bit claustrophobic at times. Also I've climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge - depsite being scared of heights. It's the most stupid thing I have ever done.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit Vietnam. I've heard that it is really beautiful. Can you imagine being in the middle of a war and actually having to use those tunnels?? In Israel, I was just amazed that they could figure out how to build all of those tunnels back in the BC years!

      Delete
  2. I mentioned Gilligan's Island in my answer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer breakfast too. If it weren't for my husband, I'd skip dinner most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have accidentally commented twice on your blog. If so, I'm going to blame "fat fingers" this morning!

      Delete
  4. That was a joy to read.. so interesting!
    And easy to read, with the white on brown.
    The cheese straws looks tasteful!

    I've never been to Israel. So the photos paint a picture for me.

    Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese straws are really yummy! Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you have some good plans coming up. Try sushi someday; it's amazing. Some day I want to go back to Casual Pint! We just stopped in the one time to buy cans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Book binge? I used to be hooked on Janet Evanovich + Sue Grafton. Most recently, I've fallen back in love with Jeffrey Deaver. His 4-part short-story series, The Broken Doll is excellent.
    ... Almost as much as cheese straws.

    ReplyDelete