Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Hodgepodge on March the 8th

I'm joining up with Joyce over at From this Side of the Pond for Wednesday Hodgepodge. She is so creative and comes up with these questions every week. It is amazing.

1. We're in to a season students call 'spring break'. Did you/your family travel over spring breaks when you were growing up?  Tell us something about a 'spring break' you remember (from childhood or adulthood, either one). When I was a kid, our family never went anywhere for spring break that I remember. When I was in high school (after my mom died) I went with a good friend to Panama City beach. It was cool but sunny and my friend was very fair. She got the worst sunburn I have ever seen. She and her family belonged to a Church of Christ so even on vacation, they went to church. My friend was so sunburned that she fainted during church!! When our kids were in older elementary school, I took the two of them (Mark was working) to Gatlinburg. The hotel room didn’t live up to the online pictures. Glenn woke up the first morning and he couldn’t turn his head. I literally drove them back to Birmingham and called and made an appointment at the pediatrician and drove straight to his office. They wrote a prescription for muscle relaxers and in a day or so, Glenn was fine.

2. Last thing you broke? Was it a big deal? I can’t think . . .Mark broke a saucer that is a part of our “rental package.” Oops. The last thing I remember breaking was several years ago. I dropped a bottle of nail polish at the nail salon. It made a huge mess and I felt like it was a big deal.

3. March 7th is National Cereal Day...are you a fan? What's your favorite? If not cereal what's your favorite breakfast? Your typical breakfast? If and when I ever eat cold cereal, I prefer it without milk and for a snack. I love honey nut cheerios but don’t remember the last time I bought any. I do enjoy a good bowl of cocoa krispies and I would even put milk on those but not for breakfast.

Do grits count as a hot breakfast cereal? We love grits at our house. 

I don’t eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. I love a turkey and low fat cheese on keto bread sandwich or a peanut butter and honey sandwich on keto bread. This morning I had two Morningstar farms fake sausage patties, a piece of Kraft 2% sliced cheese, and mustard on two pieces of keto bread.

4. Break ground, break of dawn, break down, break the bank, break one's stride, break the ice, break a law, break a habit, break bread...choose one of the idioms listed and tell us how it applies to your life currently. Let’s see . . .I feel a little bit like “break the bank” fits. We have decided to do a few extra things while the house is an empty shell. Our last two houses were purchased new but finished except for a few paint color changes, a fence, that kind of thing. This is my first experience with change orders and oh my goodness. They add up. 

I have also been waking up at the break of dawn (4:30) most mornings. Some days I go ahead and get up and study quietly. Mark was at his mom’s on Monday night, so on Tuesday morning at 4:30, I cooked all the taco meat (9 pounds) for the young adults.

5. Where do you go to connect with friends and family? What do you like to do most when you're home alone? When we are with friends, we either go to someone’s house or to a restaurant most of the time. Every once in a while we will go to someone's lakehouse or farm to spend time together. When I am home alone, I love to get in the recliner and read a good book! I rarely have time to do that but when I do, I enjoy it.

6. Insert your own random thought here. Speaking of those change orders, I approved one this week for a pocket door in the Jack and Jill bathroom upstairs. There are just too many doors in that room! Just FYI, that is the cheapest change order so far.

9 comments:

  1. Building costs are never stagnant are they. Your spring break trip sounds memorable but probably even more so for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lost touch with that friend in just the last few years. I wonder if she remembers??

      Delete
  2. Grits totally count; I love them! The only time I get them now is on Thursdays, our work cafe has them as a side and they are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I worked for South Central Bell and then AT&T, we had a cafeteria in the building and I remember going down on my morning break and buying a bowl of grits. Your thought made that memory pop into my head.

      Delete
  3. That's a great change order. Love those pocket doors that don't get in the way. Nine pounds of meat. A nice labor of love. Glad the neck incident wasn't something more serious. Ouch. Hope the rest of the week goes well and there is a lot of progress on your home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have pocket doors in my Jack and Jill and love them. We also have one in our powder room which works well as there is no door to swing out into the hall where there is also a closet door opposite and a garage door nearby. It's painful to go over your budget, but anything you can do while you have the empty shell will be cheaper in the long run than going back and trying to do it later. Good luck with the re-build!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love grits too, and I think they count! It's exciting about all the details on the house, but I can see how all those change orders would add up and be a bit of a headache to keep track of. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with all of your change orders! Keep us posted!! The Hodgepodge is always fun!! Happy hump day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your re builds.
    High Fives for cooking up all that taco meat. :-)
    Carla from the River

    ReplyDelete