Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Wednesday Hodgepodge

I'm joining up with Joyce and friends for Wednesday Hodgepodge. 

1. Tell us a little bit about the best birthday you've ever had. When I turned 50, I had a blow out bash that was so much fun! We invited TONS of people including some of our kid’s friends. A church friend hosted the party at her house. It was a great night!!

2.  In what way(s) have you changed in the last five years? Physically, I weigh a lot less now than I did 5 years ago. I think I’m more open minded now than I was 5 years ago. 

3. What's your favorite thing about the street on which you live? Normally, we live on a great street surrounded by amazing neighbors. Right now, we are living in an apartment over a hair salon. We’ve met our neighbors and they seem really nice. I can walk down the steps and go out on the sidewalk and there are two restaurants and a pharmacy and a park within steps of our front door. I’m looking for ALL of the positives.

4. The Hodgepodge lands on National Beer Day...are you a beer drinker? What's a recipe you make that lists beer as one of the ingredients? If not beer, how about yeast? I am not a beer drinker but I live with a beer snob. He loves beer and is very picky about his beers. He doesn’t like to be able to see through the beer but he doesn’t want a stout either. I haven’t cooked anything with beer in a long time but when we were young, I would make beer battered fried mushrooms and you served them with a horseradish sauce. They were sooooo good! I don’t know if I’ve ever made anything with yeast.

5. As I grow older I would like to be a woman (or man, if there are any men in the HP today) who loves fiercely and gives generously.

6. Insert your own random thought here. Have I told y’all that in addition to being in an apartment, the insurance company rented furniture for us and had it delivered. I’ve been trying to add a few things to make it feel more like home. We’ve had this deer skin on the end of a bed . . .actually in the room where the fire was the worst!! They were soaking wet (we have another one, too) and Mark took them outside in the hot sun and dried them. I would never hang a deer skin on the wall in our house . . .but I suggested hanging it in the apartment. I also went to Michael’s and bought a couple of pumpkins and a couple of throw pillows.



11 comments:

  1. "who loves fiercely and gives generously." This answer!!! So good. :)

    My husband is a beer snob as well. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment was the first of the day and it made my day! Seriously!

      Delete
  2. We lived in an apartment with rental furniture while we built our house. It helps to add a few little touches to make it feel a bit more cozy and more 'you'. Your optimistic attitude is to be admired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I wouldn't hang a deer skin over the sofa but we are just rolling with it!

      Delete
  3. Those fried 'shrooms and horseradish dipping sauce sounds wonderful! I'd like to try, providing it's not a labor-intensive recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the recipe was 2 cups beer and 2 cups all purpose flour with a little salt and pepper added in. I think that will probably do 2 pounds of mushrooms (washed and patted dry). (this means you can half the recipe -- 1 cup beer, 1 cup flour, 1 pound mushrooms) Put enough oil in pan or fryer - per instructions for fryer OR to cover the mushrooms in skillet or pan. Whisk beer and flour, salt and pepper together. Heat oil to 375. Place mushrooms in batter. Add mushrooms (one at a time) to hot oil. You probably can't fry all at the same time. Fry until golden brown. Place on rack to cool. Mix up some mayo with a couple of spoons of horseradish - get it as hot as you like! A good ratio is maybe 4 T may with 2 T horseradish. Dip mushrooms into sauce and enjoy!! This is a recipe with very few ingredients and it is not hard or labor intensive at all. I've never tried these in the air fryer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are beer snobs at our house, too. If you visit you'll see the beer I'm holding in a photo is not see through. :) Those mushrooms sound yummy. I must have missed reading about the fire that has you out of your home. So sorry about that. Yikes. Your apartment looks nice. Hope all goes well in the next weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still grant you so many kudos for your positive attitude through all you have had to deal with. Your apartment looks comfortable and I do like the skin on the wall. I giggled at 'beer snob'. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry about the fire, but I'm glad you are looking for all the positives you can. The apartment looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, those mushrooms sound good indeed. I like horseradish too.
    I might be a 'beer snob' too, I am pretty picky about my brews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like it was a fun party. Way to go on weighing less. Being positive is a good. Keep it up. Love your answer for #5. The apt looks lovely. Take care.

    ReplyDelete