Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Pop on over hodgepodge

I'm joining up with Joyce at From This Side of the Pond for Wednesday Hodgepodge! 

1. Something you've labored over recently? I'm laboring right now over whether we can start back meeting every week with the young professionals. We've hosted them for years in our home. I cook dinner for them. I have a group of friends that rotates baking/making desserts. We do a study together, etc. We met last night for the first time since the week before we left for Europe . . .house fire . . .emergency surgery. It was so good to be together. I just can't decide if I am emotionally/spiritually stable enough yet.

They were playing "Get to know you" Bingo!

Poppyseed chicken, rice, green beans,
a big salad, rolls, and cookies

On a less serious note, I'm laboring over writing the posts from our Italy/Germany/Austria trip. It was wonderful so I don't know why I'm struggling.

2. How will you rest on Labor Day? I probably won't rest BUT I will enjoy being at home.

3. Margaret Mead is quoted as saying, "I learned the value of hard work by working hard." Would you agree? Where and how did you learn the value of hard work? My daddy taught us the value of hard work. I definitely agree that you learn the value of hard work by working hard.

4. It's National Eat Outside Day (August 31st). Will you? Do you enjoy dining 'al fresco' or prefer indoor seating? I will probably NOT eat outside. The temp is in the 90's and the humidity is high. This is Alabama.

5. Somehow it's the end of August. What was the best day of the month for you and tell us what made it so? Let's see -- I don't think I have ONE day that was just wonderful but I had several good things! I had lunch with 3 friends on August 5 and that was a good day! We try to go to lunch together on the first Friday of every month. I went to the neighborhood picnic on Saturday, the 13th and that was fun. I even won a great door prize! 

This one sounds silly but I worked the popcorn booth at our church carnival and had a great time!! 

We have so many young families in our church.
What a great night!

I worked with our friends Laura
and Allen and thoroughly enjoyed
it!

Mark and I gathered with our supper club on Friday, the 19th. We've been together since 2004. Last Saturday, I met 2 friends for lunch. We grew up together and were actually roommates at one point in time when we were young adults. We were in each other's weddings, etc. On Monday night of this week, we went to dinner at the home of a neighbor and really enjoyed it.

6. Insert your own random thought here. I mentioned above that we went to a neighbor's house for dinner on Monday night. I've learned quite a few things as we've navigated having to move out of our home due to the fire and while recovering from surgery. Several friends and neighbors have invited us over to dinner - low key - just the couple and us . . . and it has been wonderful. The next time a friend is going through a crisis, I want to remember this: Fix a simple, regular weeknight meal and share it with the person. It is a good thing to invite someone to sit at your kitchen table and eat quiche and salad or flank steak and green beans or chicken with yummy fig compote on top or street tacos from Costco or pork tenderloin grilled to perfection.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love mid-week dinners with neighbors. It happens here in our neighborhood every so often and they are some of my favorite get togethers. No fuss, sometimes spur of the moment, relaxed. I think we tend to overthink entertaining and really people just want to enjoy being together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your apartment is stunning, Lisa! Now I'm wanting some of that poppyseed chicken. These are great tips for anyone facing a tragedy such as yours. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how active your church seems. I don't go much anymore myself but my middle boy goes to the youth activities at the Methodist church in our neighborhood and it's a great community. I think the world is missing those communities of old and it's hurting us as a society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you've had a really tough time with the fire and surgery. I'm glad you have a good support network to take care of you and that you're finding joy in meeting up with friends.
    The weekly dinners sound wonderful but I can understand feeling not quite ready to commit to it as it sounds like a fair bit of work too. I'm sure the group would understand if you needed to take some more time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete